Gransnet forums

Chat

Mumsnet & GN a threat to transgenders?

(58 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sat 13-Oct-18 10:17:33

I saw an article in the paper last week that related to GN and advertising. I naturally threw the paper away and then couldn’t find the article online. I have, however, found this piece on the same subject.
It seems that we have upset some transgender activists.
It’s nice to know that at least we’re considered ‘influential’ by some!?

POGS Sat 13-Oct-18 11:45:36

I agree with Justine to be frank.

Sparklefizz Sat 13-Oct-18 12:22:06

I agree with Justine too.

Cherrytree59 Sat 13-Oct-18 12:41:07

I also agree with Justine.

Jane10 Sat 13-Oct-18 12:45:08

Me too!

Greyduster Sat 13-Oct-18 12:53:23

I also agree with Justine. It doesn’t take an awful lot to upset them does it? It threatens freedom of speech and the consequences are alarming.

lemongrove Sat 13-Oct-18 13:13:49

The trans lobby is getting out of control.The activists should never be allowed to threaten free speech.The advertisers should realise that Mums and Grans buy far more from them than the small amount of transgender people, and act accordingly.Well said to Justine.

ninathenana Sat 13-Oct-18 13:56:33

Even by clicking on the article and 'spreading' the screen I can't read it. It just disappears off the screen.
Ho hum

SueDonim Sat 13-Oct-18 13:58:08

I can't read what it says - could someone elucidate this for me?

Fun to be considered influential, though!

While on the subject, if you're interested in the trans agenda and the government consultation for trans self-identification, Fair Play for Women have an easy-to-fill-in response.
fairplayforwomen.com/email/

Baggs Sat 13-Oct-18 14:07:24

Paraphrased it says that trans activists are trying to persuade advertisers to remove their ads from Mumsnet. Justine Roberts is apparently determined not to give in to trans activist bullying and wants to carry on supporting open discussion (free speech) about trans issues.

Good for her.

Doodle Sat 13-Oct-18 14:17:09

I'm totally out of touch with the world now. I can't keep up with this latest phase. I read an article in the paper this morning about the BBC telling staff how to refer to others. When I got to the phrase non-binary my eyes started to glaze over and I went on to the recipe pages. Something I can understand.

Alima Sat 13-Oct-18 14:22:13

I agree with Justine too. (Does anyone care that some women may feel threatened by trans-gender activists?)

Bagatelle Sat 13-Oct-18 14:22:25

These activists are just being activists for the sake of it. They should be firmly squashed.

PECS Sat 13-Oct-18 14:24:42

For balance here is another perspective!

www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/10/10/metro-newspaper-full-page-ad-attacking-transgender-reforms/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Buffer&utm_campaign=PN

There is a lot of division in the LGBTG world on this issue. I am still getting my head round the complexities of what some individuals are coping /not coping with before I can begin to think what my stance would be. Other than open discussion and a desire to understand another persons perspective is the only way to resolve difficult or conflicting opinions.

PECS Sat 13-Oct-18 14:26:08

Sorry. Other than I believe …..

Jalima1108 Sat 13-Oct-18 14:28:20

Why are we not allowed to discuss these issues?
It is indeed a way to learn more about transgender issues.

Anyway, how do we know how many Mumsnetters and Gransnetters are transgender?

Joelise Sat 13-Oct-18 14:28:53

Well said Justine !

PECS Sat 13-Oct-18 14:44:12

We are allowed to discuss the issues! I am not sure which trans activists are trying to shut down debate... but their are 'extreme groups' in all campaigns.

There are some radical lesbian groups that do not want TG m to f to be able to identify as women but other lesbians who support that 'right' Same division of opinion as in the straight community.

There is concern amongst some TG groups that being TG is seen as a mental health issue and is being 'medicalised' when the individuals concerned do not believe that is right.

I struggle to understand all the complexities of non-binary etc. And the whole debate has been exploded by the recent sexual assault by a TG person in a women's prison on women inmates.

PECS Sat 13-Oct-18 14:45:57

My auto correct defaults to their …. "but there are..."

PamelaJ1 Sat 13-Oct-18 17:09:56

I think that we are all trying to get our heads round this issue and understand it.
Certainly reading some responses on here make me think of aspects of this subject in a different way.
Pecs, I think a full page article on the front of a newspaper is a little different than the debates that go on here. I don’t think we set out to inflame the transgender brigade even if it sometimes looks like it.

Luckygirl Sat 13-Oct-18 17:19:35

Do you know, I have got to the point where when this topic is aired, I totally lose the plot - so many different terms, so many strident voices. Those trying to defend their rights are shooting themselves and lots of others innocent people (who are trying to sort their lives out) in the foot, as people just switch off.

I wonder how people will feel when they look back on this in 50 years.

What I can see is:

- some people feel they are the opposite gender to their genetics.
- it is hard to fathom how best to deal with this, especially for children and young people.
- the more strident the activists become, the less the subject can be dealt with sensitively for individuals.
- once a bandwagon is on the roll then reasoned discussion goes out of the window.

Interesting article in Radio Times for this week, with two mother and their different responses to their child expressing a desire to be the opposite gender. One has gone with it and the child (aged 12) has "identified" as the opposite gender and is about to embark on prevention of puberty by drugs. The other said no to all this and advised waiting - her daughter has stayed a daughter and is now happily in a lesbian relationship.

That difficult period of pre-puberty should be respected as a time of transition and uncertainty about identity and be allowed to run its course before irretrievable steps are taken.

Jalima1108 Sat 13-Oct-18 17:49:20

That difficult period of pre-puberty should be respected as a time of transition and uncertainty about identity and be allowed to run its course before irretrievable steps are taken.

I saw the two mothers on the tv Luckygirl and I agree with what you have said.

BookieGram Sat 13-Oct-18 18:15:44

Luckygirl, I think your comments are right on the money. And any child under the age of 18 to 20 is much too young to make such life altering decisions. In many of these cases eventually the "child" realizes that they were wrong about this all along. They had been pressured by either their peers or their families. I know a young woman who was raised by lesbian parents and she just took it for granted that she was a lesbian also. She grew up, married another woman, had a child, and lo and behold the partner dumped her shortly after the baby arrived. This young woman took some time to evaluate her life decisions, began seeing and making new friends and she is now very happily in a relationship with a very nice man. So many of these "activists" are ruining the lives of so many young people because they feel pressured to go a certain way. This is wrong on so many levels.

Iam64 Sat 13-Oct-18 19:07:32

Thanks PECS for the links, I've read them very quickly. One of my relations is a gay activist, has been since age 17. I enjoy his insights into this complex issue. Another relation is struggling with his/her gender identity and has expressed real anger towards so called TERFS.

I'm a feminist. I struggle with the notion of the loss of private female spaces which we've fought very hard for. I wonder if I could be seen as a TERF?? Is that in truth the term of abuse that transgender women see it as?

Luckygirl, I haven't seen the programme but my own feelings are with the mother who decided not to help her daughter seek gender realignment at age 12. Puberty is such a difficult time, let's help children in confusion get through that before they embark on life changing drugs and surgery. I read recently about the signifiant number of individuals who having made the transition, find themselves still unhappy and wanting to transition back.
As for the issue of the male prisoner who self ID'd as female and managed to get himself placed in a women's prison. My view is that some people are more focussed on sex than others. Some people are sexual predators, that man was a sexual predator. More men than women are sexual predators. I'd be very cautious about allowed men who have already been convicted of offences against women into women's prisons. Do we need prisons or special wings for transgender prisoners, maybe.

minesaprosecco Sat 13-Oct-18 19:29:05

I'm with Justin too.