Gransnet forums

Chat

Hats off...

(95 Posts)
Jane10 Thu 18-Oct-18 08:48:17

To Theresa May. I know, I know! However, it's unbelievable how she keeps going in the face of such unpleasant colleagues and unsympathetic EU politicians. I'm only commenting as a fellow female of the same age. I don't have the stamina for all those late nights and early mornings and endless meetings. Thank God she's there. The alternatives are unthinkable. (Sits back and awaits opprobrium)

Anniebach Thu 18-Oct-18 08:50:22

I think the same Jane, I so admire her,

wildswan16 Thu 18-Oct-18 08:56:04

I agree Jane, so many people find it easy to mock everything she does or says, but she took over running our country at such a crucial and difficult time - and I really cannot think of anyone who would have managed much better, and several who would have made things so much worse.

How many of us would ever wish to be put in such a position. Whether or not you agree with what is being put forward it is difficult to fault the effort it must take.

Riverwalk Thu 18-Oct-18 08:56:16

Er, she (we) wouldn't be in this crazy position had May not called a snap General Election.

She had a working majority and wouldn't now need to appease the DUP and the rabble-rousers in her own party.

Alima Thu 18-Oct-18 09:06:48

I do respect her, cannot say that about many MPs. I agree that calling the election when she did made things worse, oh to have hindsight. I also like her ability to laugh at herself. Dancing Queen indeed.

Iam64 Thu 18-Oct-18 09:07:23

I sympathise with the position she's in and believe she's doing her best to keep calm and carry on in the face of disgusting back stabbing from her colleagues.

I'm absolutely with Riverwalk though, she called a snap Election, ran a lousy campaign and is now in hock to those back stabbing bar stewards in her own party and the DUP. She and David Cameron have a lot to answer for but, so do all the political parties in recent times.

Anniebach Thu 18-Oct-18 09:20:57

She made a wrong judgement, first woman to do so ?

Teetime Thu 18-Oct-18 09:28:14

TM is not my political cup of tea but I do admire her stamina and staying power.

Mapleleaf Thu 18-Oct-18 09:46:37

I, too, admire her stamina.
She is in a truly difficult situation, and will never please all of the people all of the time, and I do wonder at the credibility of some of her advisors on some occasions. However, as some posters say, would the alternative politicians have done any better? How can we possibly know for sure, though with some of them I doubt it.
I agree about David Cameron!

Jane10 Thu 18-Oct-18 10:30:31

She doesn't make her decisions in complete isolation. I do wonder about the usefulness of her advisors. But, somehow, she seems to find the energy despite her diabetes to soldier on. How uncomfortable must it be to be excluded from those EU leaders dinners etc. I stress I'm only posting on a personal level about her as a woman the same ages as so many of us. We're having a lovely time in retirement. She must dream of that.

Nonnie Thu 18-Oct-18 10:37:29

I have recently spoken to two people who worked at the Home Office under her, one, quite senior, who said she was the best boss ever, the other, very senior, said she was difficult.

I think anyone who had put themselves forward for this unwinnable position was either very brave or very stupid, I don't know which she is!

What people don't seem to appreciate is that she is a figurehead, all the real work is being done by civil servants and would be the same whoever was PM.

henetha Thu 18-Oct-18 10:38:00

She's earned my respect for her tenacity in the face of huge difficulties. In her shoes I would rather give up and go for nice long walks with Philip.

Jane10 Thu 18-Oct-18 11:33:12

Oh yes. The men in grey suits really run the country. All sorts of business goes on behind closed doors.

EllanVannin Thu 18-Oct-18 12:45:01

I'm with Jane 10 on this one though I'm not in agreeance with many of her MP's of that party.
I didn't vote to leave for most of the reasons which are being discussed in order to leave. It's turned out exactly how I'd imagined it would and as a consequence we're in for a very rocky ride ahead. What a fiasco !

BBbevan Thu 18-Oct-18 13:05:38

I admire her also. Especially as she has to contend with T1 diabetes along with everything else. Though I think Mr.May seems a very loving and supporting husband

travelsafar Thu 18-Oct-18 13:09:54

I think she is great and determined too.

Maybe her face should go on the new 50.00 note being discussed on anopther thread!!!! smile

I back her 100% as a woman who means business and can take all the c**p being thrown at her.Her husband must be so proud. Having her as a friend would be great 'cos i bet she would have your back, always!!!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Oct-18 13:13:56

I am a similar age to TM, and have no idea how she does it.

I imagine she must feel very isolated as I am not sure she has any true allies amongst her cabinet.

She is trying to sort out the almighty mess left by David Cameron who couldn't get out of number 10 fast enough!!!

Whatever the outcome on 29th March 2019, there will be a large number of the electorate deeply unhappy and unsettled.

She is in a no win situation.

PECS Thu 18-Oct-18 13:15:17

I find it hard to even admire her stamina. She has not exactly helped herself in this particular situation. Having stepped into the shi mess Cameron left she then added to it with the GE . I appreciate that she is not handing it over to the hardliners but as she / UK has no aces she is I suppose stoic!

merlotgran Thu 18-Oct-18 13:36:45

Whoever stepped into Cameron's shoes was going to have a difficult time of it.

He was the worst Prime Minister we've ever had.

Jalima1108 Thu 18-Oct-18 14:26:51

I don't know how she does it either, especially as she is managing her diabetes as well. She seems to stay calm, surrounded on all sides by very difficult politicians both here and overseas.
Perhaps Philip sees any steam that comes out of her ears - well done Philip as well.

wildswan16 Thu 18-Oct-18 15:13:02

I know Mrs May doesn't have any children, but I do hope she gets time to pop into gransnet for a catch up and finds out that we appreciate her hard work !

Jalima1108 Thu 18-Oct-18 15:18:03

as long as she stays off the politics/Brexit threads wink

suzied Thu 18-Oct-18 16:07:00

Th best thing you can say about May is she works hard and has kept the ultra Torykippers at bay. However, she is a useless PM, being better than Cameron is rather a low bar.. The latest fudge shows again how our country is simply collateral damage in a savage Tory struggle over Europe. She hasn't managed to please anyone. She screwed up the election with her own incompetence, ensuring there was no parliamentary majority for any kind of Brexit. She triggered Article 50 with no idea how to achieve a workable deal, an act of breathtaking folly. She cobbled together Chequers with the clock running out, then obstinately ignored all the voices in Westminster, Whitehall and across Europe warning it was not viable. She blames Brussels after slamming inevitably into the buffers.

stree Thu 18-Oct-18 16:33:45

suzied has it to a T

As a PM she waffles and prevaricates, puts off any crucial divisions because she is too timid to commit herself, her idea of "winning" a negotiation is to cave in and give away any hope of a winning hand, ignores her cabinet and confides in and acts upon advice from civil servants instead, I can see no redeeming features.
On the level of Major, Kinnock, Milliband etc for being hopeless, but being hopeless at internal and domestic issues is one thing, failing us at this crucial time on an international level is despicable.
No wonder the 48 letters are written.

Jane10 Thu 18-Oct-18 17:48:03

stree can't you see that she's a figurehead not a single person making decisions all by herself!! By all means be cross at the politicians in general but that poor woman us trying her hardest to cobble together a contentious treaty in the face of a divided party, divided country and multitude of agendas both open and hidden. As I said in my OP - hats off to the woman.