Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming and supportive kitchen

(1000 Posts)
soop Fri 19-Oct-18 13:53:02

Here we are again. Happy as can be. All good pals and jolly good company...

flowers [café] brew wine cupcake and much love xxx

Charleygirl5 Fri 19-Oct-18 14:06:12

I, like many others cannot keep up! May I suggest that you lot take a break for a week?

grannyqueenie Fri 19-Oct-18 14:31:33

Thanks soop, looking forward to snuggling up on a comfy sofa and hearing all the news. There’s been a freezer “incident” here i.e. the door wasn’t properly closed and a few items in the top drawers have partially defrosted. Theres some white chocolate cheesecake, it does need to be eaten today, can anyone help me out?

Charleygirl5 Fri 19-Oct-18 14:40:01

Sorry, I am not a fan of cheesecake.

Greyduster Fri 19-Oct-18 14:44:13

I certainly am! Thankyou, Gq! I have to go out - save me a chair, I’ll be back!

soop Fri 19-Oct-18 15:15:26

granniequeenie Many thanks. I shall take a modest slice to eat with my afternoon brew
Freezer incidents are the pits. I hate to waste good food. Mind you, our freezer is the smallest on the market. Not too much damage done if and when the door doesn't close as it should.

I'm working on a water colour painting of a very beautiful cat. However, I've my own ironing to attend to. Shall away to reduce the amount before returning to the easel.

PLEASE help yourselves to all the virtually calorie-free goodies. I've put out the best Crown Derby china tea set. And...real, starched napkins. She says with a wink

annsixty Fri 19-Oct-18 15:35:11

I will have tea AND cheesecake please, actually I do have a mug of tea at my side and I have just eaten a fun size fudge bar.
I have rung the SW with my decision ans she is coming on Tuesday afternoon.
I already know I have a battle to fight ( and win?) about the fees.
We have had care call installed this morning, I now sport a bracelet with a button and then an hour and a half with an Occupational Therapist, he was very helpful but after watching H closely he asked if Parkinson's had been considered, I was very surprised but he then went onto suggest I should get on to the GP or the MH team to ask for an new assessment citing a possible new diagnosis of Dementia with Lewy Body.
We are struggling to get him using a walking frame instead of just a stick.
He is not enthusiastic.
I have had to resort to using the tumble dryer today, I am tootired to put all the stuff on the line today.
Enough of my woes it has been a nice day but nothing like yesterday which was glorious and really warm.
I hope it stays the same for the weekend,it is a real bonus at this time of the year and the schools finish for half term today.

Sar53 Fri 19-Oct-18 16:09:11

Afternoon all. Ann I have been reading your posts for a long time. I just wanted to say that I know the decision you have come to is not what you would have wished for your DH but you are not Superwoman and he needs 24/7 care. My mum was originally diagnosed with Parkinson's which eventually turned into Dementia with Lewy Bodies.
She was in a care home where everyone had dementia and she was well looked after.
I'm sending hugs and flowers xx

annsixty Fri 19-Oct-18 16:14:41

Thank you Sar
That is reassuring.
I forgot to admire the new kitchen, mine is getting quite dated, what do you do with the old ones?
After all they are only weeks old before they are replaced.
I shall be happy to give one a good home.

kittylester Fri 19-Oct-18 16:24:49

Like the new kitchen!!

Sounds like things are moving apace Ann, have you chosen a care home? We couldn't get NHS funding for mum as dementia wasn't a 'qualifying illness' and she had nothing else wrong with her. If you havent done already, please apply for attendance allowance - it will be something toward the fees.

Once he has settled in, the time you spend with your dh will be much more relaxed.

Now, everyone else please sit down and do nothing!

Panache Fri 19-Oct-18 16:40:41

After my major faux paus earlier, will I appear super greedy dashing back in........not only stamping my name on this delectable and cosy brand new Kitchen..........with orchard views to die for.
Perhaps I may be allowed some of your delightful white chocolate cheesecake GQ???........your mishap will indeed be to our gain.

No need for the Crown Derby Soop.......I have eaten mine already and am licking my lips!! Certainly a treat.

Ann at least things seem slowly and painfully working towards perhaps an outcome you will in time accept and certainly one which could mean a return to some life again and a great standard of care for your H.
I appreciate it is far from "cut and dried" and extremely painful for you.
I am sending my welsh cwtches hoping they remind you of how much others care.

Before I cause a further mishap,time I was no longer here...........in body at least,but yes I shall be there in thought as always.

soop Fri 19-Oct-18 16:51:30

Ann I also know of a lady with Lewy Body dementia. She has settled well into a well run care home. Her family visit and share quality time with her as opposed to being worn to a frazzle with stress. flowers

cornergran Fri 19-Oct-18 16:51:45

Hello you lot. Love the new kitchen. Have sat myself down with tea and a piece of the cheesecake, one of my favourites. Afraid I’m a mucky pup so have made good use of soop’s beautifully starched napkins.

Can’t recall the details of the final posts in the old kitchen but I do seem to remember there was much joy in the Lester family because Wolfie had managed to activate his waste disposal system.

Also some lovely Autumn images. It’s been a superb day here today, clear blue skies. So a management decision and a change of plan. Instead of the ‘stuff’ we should have been doing we took ourselves off to collect the gift for Littlest taking the opportunity to have a breakfast and another walk on a deserted beach. A good day.

Sounds good to have a decision made ann. You sound less fraught today. The OT visit also sounds a helpful one. I hope you will be able to rest even if just a bit.

I think it was greyd who commented on lack of drawing ability. Have you been looking over my shoulder? I simply cannot copy an image, there must be a name for the condition hmm

Good to see you charley, how you feeling now?

Well, inertia has struck here. As my Mum was fond of saying there’s another day tomorrow not yet touched so today’s tasks can wait until then.

Look after yourselves and yes, please slow down.

NanaandGrampy Fri 19-Oct-18 17:00:13

Afternoon all !

A new kitchen - how lovely. I am not a cheesecake fan personally but I happen to have a very nice chocolate swiss ( or swish roll as we say in our family ) roll !! I'm happy to share.

Ill have to go and find the old kitchen and find what's gone on !

Ann glad to hear decisions are being made - this can only be for the good of all. You're very brave and an inspiration .

I picked up some more Christmas presents today and have to admit to trying out the laser guns - Grampy had one and I had the other with targets you tie on your self then you shoot each other. I know , I know --- guns are frowned on in todays airy fairy society but we are both ex military and have a very different view . Anyway, its 5 -1 to me !! So I told him he had better watch his step going forward ;-)

I shall be missing next week as we have young Jackson for a few days ( he is coming to supervise the ground work being done for the 'West Wing' and has his hi vis jacket and hardhat ready!!) Then we are taking Laura birthday shopping for clothes. When told we would both be coming she told me she thought Grampy should bring a book and sit in the coffee shop because - and I quote ' He's not much good at shopping' !!

Grampy is relieved !!

Happy day all !!

soop Fri 19-Oct-18 17:18:35

N&G Well said, Laura. The art of diplomacy...you are learning fast. grin

I am away until tomorrow. Not away away but logging off away.

Settle down and enjoy a pleasant evening. I shall pop in to our kitchen tomorrow. No need for dish washing. Our kitchen is virtually chore-free. Eat, drink and be as merry as you wish. smile moon

Overthehills Fri 19-Oct-18 17:49:17

Another hurdle to negotiate Ann. I’m really hoping there will be light at the end of the tunnel very soon.
Heard today that all the carry on with DD’s ex the other evening, when DGD didn’t want to go to his house, wasn’t because he wanted to spend quality time (on one of his two evenings a week) with her at all. He had arranged for his partner’s mother to babysit while he and partner went to the cinema - you couldn’t make it up! angry

cornergran Fri 19-Oct-18 18:11:19

No, you couldn’t overthehills, it’s beyond understanding. Wishing you all a peaceful weekend.

Laura seems to know her Grampy. Sounds a fun week ahead n&g. Ours aren’t off for another week yet. We’ve got similar days to come.

Here’s today’s empty beach. Tomorrow I will do what I had planned to do today, honestly I will hmm.

Charleygirl5 Fri 19-Oct-18 18:42:57

Overthehills he obviously cares about his DD if he is going to such lengths to get a babysitter for her. To me, it sounds as though she would be better off in his partner's mother's care than his if that is how much he cares about her. No wonder she did not want to go.

corner that empty beach looks lovely- it reminds me of St. Andrews when my parents and I walked the length of the beach usually after people had packed up and gone home. It was mainly people like us, locals and dog walkers.

Ann I am so pleased that things are moving for you. You recognise you need a rest- life cannot continue as it is.

Synonymous Fri 19-Oct-18 18:47:05

Hello soop and all in the lovely new kitchen! It has taken me absolutely ages to read through all the posts since we left!
soop pleased to hear that you had a good journey to MacS's appointment and that he is being watched over. Look after each other. ((hugs))

Apologies but I will not be able to reply to all you lot except to say you are all in my thoughts. smile

I am relieved to see that you have 'set your course' dear annsixty and that you have family support. I must say I shed a tear for you both - my excuse is that I am so very tired!
Panache so pleased to hear that you have two interested parties, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Col 1:11-12

We had a nightmare journey to 'the big smoke' on Wednesday and it was a close run thing that we actually got to Himself's appointment at all with a bus catching fire on one motorway, a lorry's shed load on another and so many accidents we would have found it unbelievable if we han't been stuck there in the middle of it all! I think all the emergency vehicles must have been out there, I have never experienced so many flashing blue lights. We found our hotel eventually and left early for the actual appointment just in case the traffic jams hadn't cleared and it was as well that we did that as the journey which should have been 10 minutes took more than an hour so that we were slightly late. Himself was on tenterhooks and I had to drop him off so he had to go in on his own while I tried to get parked and I was praying that they would still see him even though we were not on time. All was well though and funnily enough it was probably no bad thing that DS was stressed as the Doc could see him 'in the raw', as it were, and consequently he thinks there should be more sessions to come with the therapist so hopefully that will all come through fairly quickly if all is agreed. It was interesting that I was called in and was asked all that Himself had already been asked, as a double check I suppose, and then I was also able to add some things that DH had forgotten which was helpful.
Thankfully, everybody we came in contact with was incredibly kind and helpful which made it all so much easier than it might have been and most importantly we got there and back safely. It was a lot of driving and a bit of an endurance test!
So that is two appointments done and two more to come, one on Thursday next week and the other appointment yet to come through. I will be so thankful when all is 'done and dusted' with this latest round and I am hoping that it might even be the last round but we shall have to wait and see about that.
We are so tired that scrambled eggs is all we can manage food wise and then an early night. Sleep well! moon

Pittcity Fri 19-Oct-18 19:24:23

So much going on in the kitchen that after I have given out much needed ((hugs)) all round, I'll need to flop in the corner to try to catch up.
Is there any more cheesecake left?

Doodle Fri 19-Oct-18 20:15:40

grannyqueenie has everyone just moved into my kitchen? I have just had the freezer incident you mentioned. My fridge freezer decided to stop working at lunchtime today. Shop can't deliver another until Wednesday so I have decided to cook everything and produce a banquet for you all to welcome everyone to the new kitchen. Please do tuck in, I would hate for it all to go to waste ?

Overthehills Fri 19-Oct-18 22:29:32

I’m so glad to hear that you made it there and back in one piece Syonymous - it certainly was an endurance test, no wonder you’re shattered.
DH has got an appointment for the sleep apnoea clinic to be shown how to use the overnight oxygen machine - at last.
What a lovely photo Corner - maybe I’ll suggest a walk with the DGC tomorrow, they’re usually up for it.
Good night everybody, I hope you all have a peaceful night.

grannyqueenie Fri 19-Oct-18 23:03:45

I’m glad the cheesecake hit the spot for some, I’m sorry but it’s all gone now as we gobbled ate the last 2 slices for pud tonight. Oh no doodle, I’m sorry it’s happened to you too, what a nuisance. Fortunately here not everything was affected, mostly items in the upper drawers i.e. veg and ice cream that I just had to ditch. The meat was fine, some prawns had to go but the other fish I cooked for dinner tonight. So if I’m not in this kitchen tomorrow you’ll know that wasn’t such a good idea!

I’m another who’s no good at drawing, maybe you could offer a kitchen drawing class greyduster? You know for folk like corner and me who are, let’s say, artistically challenged. grin Maybe later we could progress to a painting class with soop....then again maybe I’m getting carried away here, I can’t speak for corner, but I very much fear I’m an artistic lost cause! By the way that’s a beautiful beach corner, just the sort I love.

synonymous that sounds like a very demanding trip, you must be exhausted as well as relieved. You should sleep well tonight though! n&g these old boys all have strategies to avoid/manage shopping trips, mine has a word game on his phone which does the job for him or if it’s a Saturday then the Guardian hits the spot . Your Laura obviously has it well sussed, a good lesson to learn while you’re young I feel. We’re looking after 2 of ours at their half term, the 15 year old LOVES to shop while her 10 year old sister absolutely detests it but does enjoy a good museum, so guess who’ll be doing what that week?
Right then, I’m off to bed, sleep kitchen folk! x

Bellanonna Fri 19-Oct-18 23:40:13

Ann I’m so pleased
Corner I love that beach, I really want to walk along it

Greyduster Sat 20-Oct-18 08:29:42

He’ll the new kitchen! I did dash in briefly and dash out again. I was mightily annoyed yesterday as the plumber said he would be back in the afternoon to finish off a few jobs, but when he didn’t turn up by six, it turned out that he had completely forgotten about it! ?. Well, he hasn’t been paid yet so he had better get his act together.
Corner and Gq I didn’t mean to cast aspersions on anyone’s inability to be able to draw. And in this place I would not deign to offer anyone drawing lessons when we have Soop, whose artistic abilities are so far above mine. It’s just that I am very frustrated that my GS has got to eleven without being able to put together a half decent figure drawing (by which I mean one that looks as if it has the ability to move!). Having said that, I spent an hour on Thursday giving him some pointers so that he could complete some homework and the results, which DD emailed to me, were very acceptable, so maybe we are getting somewhere. There seems to be more emphasis on illustrative drawing in most subjects at this new school, than there was in his junior school, so he needs all the help he can get. So don’t worry, girls, I will not be coming after you, waving a stick of charcoal any time soon!
N&G I do love someone who has the same Peter Pan attitude as I have! I wouldn’t have been able to resist the laser guns either! Good on you and Grampy!
Bad news about your freezer, Doodle; one of ours is on borrowed time too!
I have included a photo of this morning’s sunrise. It is set to be another decent, if cold, day here and we are going to watch a cross country in one of our nearby parks later this morning. There is a very good cafe, so we will get a nice coffee (and maybe cake) before we go and stand in the mud!
I will look in later.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion