Gransnet forums

Chat

when did life get so complex

(80 Posts)
petunia Fri 16-Nov-18 09:54:35

So modern life is getting more and more complex. At one time you would go to the shop and buy a packet of, say biscuits. You took home the biscuits, ate them, and enjoyed them. Job done
Then it got to be the calorie content. Then it got to be how many syns for SW. Moving onto fat content for Rosemary Conley.
Things got more complicated when shops started BOGOF. Was it better to buy one packet in the Co-Op or two in Tesco? Cheaper with BOGOF but then two packets sitting in the cupboard shouting “eat me....eat me...”
Then there’s the wrapper business. Inner and outer packaging. Where do I throw it? Recycle or general.
Then, am I happy with the ethical background of this product. I boycott some manufacturers but with big companies buying out smaller ones and companies becoming part of huge organisations, it’s an effort to keep up.
So, I reconcile all this in my head. I find a pack of biscuits that I like. It fits with my current dietary regime (I know, I know-shouldn’t be eating biscuits).I’m happy to pay the going rate.
I buy the biscuits. Hurrah
I go home, make a coffee, break open the treat and turn on my laptop.
And there it is. Palm oil.
Maybe I should just give up on the biscuits

Bridgeit Fri 16-Nov-18 09:58:00

Brilliant Petunia, so accurate ?

toscalily Fri 16-Nov-18 09:58:58

And you haven't even addressed the question of to dunk or not to dunk grin

Sparklefizz Fri 16-Nov-18 10:01:06

Petunia and toscalily - absolutely brilliant. smile

Grannybags Fri 16-Nov-18 10:17:45

So true! grin

petunia Fri 16-Nov-18 10:46:45

ah. dunking. i cant get to anxious about that one. im not really a dunking person. i prefer a crunchy texture if im honest. but yes, another layer of worry. where will it end i ask myself

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Nov-18 10:55:55

I rarely eat biscuits but picked one up at a meeting the other day and discovered it was a very hard ginger biscuit, so I said 'ooh, this one needs dunking' so everyone said 'dunk it!' apart from one who said 'ugh'.
Yes, I dunked it. In public. shock

petunia Fri 16-Nov-18 11:11:15

jalima. good for you.
but picking up a biscuit in a meeting without the chance to review the calories and ethical background..........you are brave. ha ha

BlueBelle Fri 16-Nov-18 11:35:02

Great post Petunia yes what a blooming complex world we live in Don’t get me going on booking a Ryanair seat for a very short journey online it s a maze of opportunities Just wanted a ordinary little seat for an hours journey I have a whole page I have to opt out of insurances, a whole page to opt out of hotel rooms then hire cars now if you just miss ticking one box you are totally mashed and have to go back to Go without collecting £200 now I have the added problem of one journey being with a child and a return on my own oh my goodness I need a university degree so £40 for a case in the hold ( nah not doing that) or £6 for a 10lber in the cabin, fine tick that box, ok now do you want priority booking , no just a plain seat, ah, but if you’re paying for a £6 suitcase in the cabin you have to have priority, but although that means you can stand in the beginning of the queue for getting on, you can’t have your seat next to the person you’re travelling with unless you pay some more as the seats are all allocated anyway so it really doesn’t matter if you’re in the front or back of the q My blood pressure is now ready to burst like an erupting volcano
Pass the biscuits please and yes I m a dunker or as it was called when I was growing up a dipper

DoraMarr Fri 16-Nov-18 11:36:08

Yes, life is complicated! But then I remember in the 70s and 80s, I wouldn’t buy produce from Chile ( Pinochet), South Africa (apartheid) , Greece (Colonels), or Israel ( treatment of Palestinians.) I don’t buy from shops where the garments are made in India, unless Fairtraid or it has an “against child labour” sticker.
As for dunking-always!

MawBroon Fri 16-Nov-18 11:38:10

a very hard ginger biscuit^ ??
Was that a “hard ginger Brexit” jalima?

petunia Fri 16-Nov-18 11:52:02

ha ha ha Maw. i saw what you did there.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Nov-18 12:31:32

Thank needed a laugh after the gym (endless Brexit discussions) and this thread has made me laugh out loud ????????

sodapop Fri 16-Nov-18 13:50:59

Cheered me up too Petunia who knew buying biscuits could be such a minefield.
I hate the thought of soggy biscuit and crumbs in my coffee so no dunking for me.

EllanVannin Fri 16-Nov-18 13:51:14

Light bulbs ! Proper ones !
The " long-lasting " thing hasn't lasted as long as a couple of old bulbs in my hall.
I want 60w pearl bulbs for my lamps not those corkscrew cold looking things, so found some on the internet and I'm busy bidding on some now.
Whose idea was it to use these horrible neverlasting things ?

toscalily Fri 16-Nov-18 14:43:40

Don't get me started on light bulbs. Think every single light in my house seems to require a different sort of bulb, big ones, small ones, candle, golf ball (shape), vintage, LED, bayonet big, bayonet small, screw big, screw small, halogen, non halogen, long life, short life. And why is it that although I have a box full of assorted bulbs I never have the one that has just blown?

EllanVannin Fri 16-Nov-18 15:15:18

Sod's Law toscalily.
Hooray I won my bid on 7 pearl bulbs which will do for starters. I was fed up groping around with only the 25w lamp. Now I've got to re-wire a lamp with up to date flex instead of the old lethal stuff------easy enough to do rather than doing away with perfectly good vintage lamps,one standard.

Mycatisahacker Fri 16-Nov-18 15:22:11

So funny mind you back in the day as a 70s kid no one balked at biscuits because we were out all day on our choppers and everyone was skinny.

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Nov-18 15:25:24

but picking up a biscuit in a meeting without the chance to review the calories and ethical background..........you are brave
It was a very little biscuit, in fact a poor excuse for a ginger nut petunia

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Nov-18 15:27:43

Was that a “hard ginger Brexit” jalima?
grin

as I said above, a poor excuse for a "hard ginger Brexit", I should have let it remain on the plate

M0nica Fri 16-Nov-18 15:33:13

*EllanVannin. The corkscrew bulbs are very old hat, You should replace all those with LED bulbs, these come in pearl glass outers just like the really old ones and you can choose from warm white or fluorescent white.

They use only 20% of the electricity of the tungsten bulbs, and less that the corkscrew ones so the effect on your electricity bill is substantial. The bulbs are more expensive, but last longer and we just did one room a month, so didn't notice the cost too much

EllanVannin Fri 16-Nov-18 17:08:32

I'm only one step up from the gas-lighters M0nica hahaha.

I'm afraid I still live in Victorian times in lots of ways.

Witzend Fri 16-Nov-18 19:33:29

Passwords used to drive me mad - now I use the same one for everything. I know you're not supposed to, but how the #! are you supposed to remember so many?
I once ordered just one sample tile - had to open an account even for that and set up a blasted password.

Appliances e.g. washing machines and microwaves with 23 different functions, of which you only ever use about 3.

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Nov-18 19:36:28

and the #! tumble dryer Witzend
(could have saved £200 there!)

I like #! must remember to use that

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Nov-18 20:21:24

Oh dear, BlueBelle, Ryanair... We’re travelling with them soon and I bought (another) bag just the (new) right size for the under the seat bag you can take onboard without paying extra or queuing at the check-in desk when you’ve already checked in. Seemed like a good idea at the time. And now I’m looking sideways at this incy wincy little bag and wondering just how I can fit in enough stuff for a four day stay. I must be a bit high maintenance because I usually struggle with a jam-packed wheelie as well as the second bag. sad