Gransnet forums

Chat

Neighbours

(7 Posts)
fivegee Mon 19-Nov-18 12:01:38

I'd welcome opinions on this. The neighbour whose back garden backs on to ours (both quite small) owns a racing car which he keeps in his garage but up to now it hasn't really been a problem apart from being revved up in the garage now and again. However he has a ten year old son who unsurprisingly shares his father's passion. They've now bought another old car (for the son to tinker with and race also) which is being renovated on the patio of their back garden accompanied by much hammering, grinding and drilling etc. in the evenings and at weekends. That's bad enough but now the view from my bedroom window is certainly not enhanced by an "old banger" in various states of repair. Technically I know he's not really doing anything wrong & he says it's just a hobby, I just wish he had a less annoying one!

Jane10 Mon 19-Nov-18 12:46:37

That's a difficult one. DH spent years building a car in our garage. The noise was often awful. I think he was just deaf to it and certainly didn't consider the nieghbours until one of them came over and shouted at him. He was at the end of his tether and his son was ill. I thought he was perfectly within reason to complain and told DH that. It simply hadn't occurred to him.
Could you maybe have a word with this family? Maybe they could find somewhere else to work on their cars? DH did in the end. Phew!

petra Mon 19-Nov-18 14:18:07

fivegee
I'm afraid I can't help either as my OH still races at Santa Pod and is always doing something to his 'toy' as I call it to get that extra second out of it.
In his defence though, I have to say that he's the one that neighbours call on for anything from someone old fallen over/ boiler not working/ power cut etc etc.
He does always say to them "please tell me if it gets a bit much"
I've just seen that I've put someone old he's seventy going on seventeen. ?

Greyduster Mon 19-Nov-18 15:35:44

You are lucky it was only a car. The man across the road from us had a tank (yes - tracks, gun and turret - the whole bag of mashings!). It didn’t get an outing very often but he worked on it a lot, and they are extremely noisy, and smoky and fumey when they are being revved and idled, endlessly. Then he would take it down the road, come back, and cover it up until the next session! He sold it recently - and bought himself a big motor bike, which sounds nearly as bad. In addition to the tank, he had several land rovers in various states of disrepair sitting around his property, some with weeds growing up through them. They engendered much negative comment from his immediate neighbours and eventually he got rid of those too! To be honest, I rather liked the tank!

PamelaJ1 Mon 19-Nov-18 16:37:14

When we bought our present house we bore in mind that my DH, a hobby carpenter may make a noise from time to time. I do wonder why it doesn’t occur to some people that they may upset neighbours.
Sorry I can’t think of a solution for you.

fivegee Mon 19-Nov-18 16:52:05

Greyduster, my hair's standing on end! makes me feel better that we're not the only ones to suffer. At least he works during the weekdays so we get some peace then, Many thanks to all who've commented - it helps to have let off a bit of steam. smile

Jane10 Mon 19-Nov-18 20:20:16

Blimey a tank!! What a relief its gone.
I look on DH's cars as 3D jigsaws! He just loves putting them together and taking them apart to 'improve' them.