Gransnet forums

Chat

has anyone noticed any benefits from eating walnuts everyday

(59 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 09-Dec-18 13:40:18

I have started to do this since about three weeks ago.I am i am not making this up but the difference in the texture of my skin is amazing.Like all of us, as we get older our skin dries out, i always use lotion everyday, and now with eating 3/4 walnuts daily i have also seen a huge improvement in dry skin. It is recomended for a healthy heart so this must be a added bonus.

KatyK Sun 09-Dec-18 13:46:50

Well I will definitely get some! I have Googled the benefits and there seem to be many, including helping to lower anxiety levels. Thank you.

petra Sun 09-Dec-18 13:53:09

travelsafar
You can't improve on perfection grin I wish.

NanKate Sun 09-Dec-18 14:15:21

I have been eating walnuts every day for about 5 years, no wonder my skin is in good nick. I do however moisture night and morning since I was 17 and I am 72 now ?

NanaandGrampy Sun 09-Dec-18 14:15:29

I used to eat one a day on a walnut whip :-) , does that count ?

JudiDrench Sun 09-Dec-18 14:36:47

*potters off to eat some walnuts*tchsmile

Jane10 Sun 09-Dec-18 15:03:37

Coffee and walnut cake for me. My favourite! Will apply it digestively. My face will soon plump out (even more!)

Daddima Sun 09-Dec-18 15:12:23

Used to be two in a Walnut Whip, one on top, and one inside, under the cream, and did I imagine that I read the walnut is going to be removed?

I may try them, as my skin is becoming very dry.

1974cookie Sun 09-Dec-18 18:21:21

That was called a Duncans Walnut Whip, Daddima. I remember them as a child. Gorgeous, and a real treat as pennies were hard to come by then for such luxuries.

EllanVannin Sun 09-Dec-18 19:45:30

Only the runs !

NfkDumpling Sun 09-Dec-18 19:59:59

I started eating a couple of walnuts after meals having read that the Romans ate them to ‘Close the stomach’ and I have a small hiatus hernia. It actually does seem to help. and since you mention it, my hands aren’t as dry as they were either. The only problem is the number of points in the Weighwatchers book.

NfkDumpling Sun 09-Dec-18 20:00:57

Oh, and they’re apparently good at maintaining good cholesterol levels.

midgey Sun 09-Dec-18 20:12:08

Problem is stopping at two or three grin

Jane10 Sun 09-Dec-18 20:19:32

Some of my Dad's patients worked at the Duncans walnut whip factory and often handed in boxes of them for us. Not that we were allowed to eat them. I think Mum and Dad polished them off. sad

Cherrytree59 Sun 09-Dec-18 20:31:03

travelsafar I would like to give walnuts a go.

This winter for the first time my skin feels tight and dry.
However I dislike nuts of any kind (bizarrely ate nuts whilst pregnant)

I suppose it would be ok to finely crush and add to muesli.

I would be grateful for any ideas.tchsmile

Bathsheba Sun 09-Dec-18 20:39:27

Oh if only I liked walnuts ?. I've never liked any kind of nuts - apart from doughnuts, that is ?. It's the oiliness that I dislike, which seems to coat the mouth. Oddly enough, I can eat nuts if mixed with something else, e.g. a date and walnut or a coffee and walnut cake, or a walnut whip. But the thought of just a walnut in my mouth on its own, yuk ?

Fennel Sun 09-Dec-18 20:44:02

I like them but they give me wind/gas hmm.
Too much roughage.

BlueBelle Sun 09-Dec-18 20:58:23

I love nuts, all nuts but blimey they re expensive so I rarely buy them

seacliff Sun 09-Dec-18 21:51:33

I chop up various nuts including walnuts in a coffee grinder, just so they are chopped in small bits. Easier to eat with my dodgy teeth. I add to my jumbo oats every day, with various seeds also, plus some Greek yoghurt and fruit, often blueberries.

It is my most healthy meal of the day, and I've enjoyed this for at least 10 years.

I hadn't really thought about it, but my skin is not dry, and quite unlined. I do think a few nuts are very good for you.

NfkDumpling Sun 09-Dec-18 22:38:54

That’s my breakfast too Seacliff, except I jut break the nuts up. Almonds too. Much nicer than bought muesli.

mumofmadboys Mon 10-Dec-18 08:26:39

I am another who makes home mixed muesli too. Nuts are quite cheap from Aldi.

Marthjolly1 Mon 10-Dec-18 09:01:18

I've been taking two or three walnuts most days along with 2 or 3 dried apricots for a few years now. Both are loaded with goodness. Sometimes in yogurt, sometimes as a quick snack if I'm feeling peckish.

Marthjolly1 Mon 10-Dec-18 09:03:39

Lidl sell good sized bags of a variety of nuts and dried fruits. Definately much cheaper than any other store

grannybuy Mon 10-Dec-18 11:04:15

Home Bargains de luxe fruit and nut mix is really good value - £1.79 for 250g.

maryhoffman37 Mon 10-Dec-18 11:07:37

I love nuts and eat them every day. Am not that keen on walnuts or brazils though.