Gransnet forums

Chat

Mens Frangrances

(46 Posts)
NudeJude Mon 10-Dec-18 16:28:50

I don't know if any of you can help me, but I'm looking for advice on an aftershave to buy for my husband for Christmas. Trouble is, he hasn't had any for ages, as money's been pretty tight, so I've lost track of what's nice, so I thought I'd turn to you ladies, and any gents who are looking to see what your favourites are.

Just as a guide, one that both he and I liked was Beckham for men, which is pretty cheap I know, but I'm happy to spend more, just don't have a clue what to go for.

Lynne59 Mon 10-Dec-18 16:33:26

What KIND of smell does he like? Personally, I love any by Calvin Klein or Issey Miyake.

If you're able to, you could perhaps go to a shop and try the testers. You're the one who will smell it when he's wearing it, so you might want to get something YOU like smile

Larissa67 Mon 10-Dec-18 16:49:29

Hey Jude
Lynne59 has the right idea..if you try some testers to choose one you will enjoy! If on a budget then think about Next they do excellent 'dupes' e.g. smell alikes for most of the more expensive brands i.e. Flowers for Marc Jacobs Daisy. I stock up during the sales or buy the handbag sizes for holidays. They will probably have some men's smell alikes on offer. Their packaging is also pretty good. Wishing you a fragrant Christmas.

paddyann Mon 10-Dec-18 16:52:31

My OH like Caroline Herrera fragrances and Vera Wang.To be honest he has a collection of smellies most women would envy including Chanel and Tom Ford .You could try the Elemis range for their lovely mens scents and box sets of shower gels etc. QVC is good for these price wise too .It all depends on his taste in smells really

Gonegirl Mon 10-Dec-18 17:02:26

www.amazon.co.uk/Davidoff-Cool-Water-Aftershave-125/dp/B000C1UDXQ/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?keywords=cool+waters&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1544461158&sr=8-3 This one is nice]]

winterwhite Mon 10-Dec-18 17:06:47

Mine likes Issey Miyake, too. Eau d'homme I think it's called, and I like it on him, so never mind buying it.

Opal Mon 10-Dec-18 17:16:44

I like Diamonds for Men, by Emporio Armani. Smells lovely. Not so keen on the one for Women though smile

Cherrytree59 Mon 10-Dec-18 17:21:27

Next have a lovely one called Carbon
They also sell selection type boxes with different aftershaves. (Reasonable size)

I believe Men's aftershave is now marketed as Men's Fragrance.

kittylester Mon 10-Dec-18 17:24:01

My husband like eau Sauvage and has done since it first came out.

J52 Mon 10-Dec-18 17:35:05

Oh Kitty, snap again! Eau Savage for my DH since 1969!
I think they’ve changed the recipe over the years.

BBbevan Mon 10-Dec-18 17:41:55

Yup! Eau Savage gets my DHs vote. I have been known to have a quick squirt also

NannyJan53 Mon 10-Dec-18 18:40:19

My other half likes 'Spice Bomb' and so do I smile

MissAdventure Mon 10-Dec-18 18:46:08

I'm just in this thread to read about nice smelling men.
smile

jusnoneed Mon 10-Dec-18 18:48:29

My sons favourite is Davidoff Cool Water, just bought a Eau de Toilette (which is all he uses) for around £28 on offer in Boots.
Calvin Klein Obsession is quite nice too.

Greyduster Mon 10-Dec-18 19:03:55

My DH wears Davidoff Cool Water (he bought me Cool Water Woman and it is seriously horrible!) and Cerrutti 1881. I asked my son last week what it was that he was wearing and he said Paco Rabanne Invictus. Very nice.

Grandad1943 Mon 10-Dec-18 19:41:00

NudeJude, you have not said how old your husband is, as many of "an older generation" wearing aftershave went out of fashion with Gillette wet razors.

Being of that older generation, I tend to use more upmarket deodorants and talc for special occasions but have not used an aftershave for many years. My wife has just said that a couple of the younger males that come into the office seem to smell of it, so perhaps it is coming back into fashion with this generation.

Cannot say I have smelt the Old Spice around there of late though. wink

Anybody still remember the "Old Spice" aftershave. grin

Oakleaf Mon 10-Dec-18 19:48:29

When he was very young my late DH used to wear Acqua di Selva and I am thrilled to see that it is still available. I'm really tempted to buy some now to see if I still like is as much.

Online blurb says it has: basil, lemon, rosemary, lavender and bergamot, sweet geranium, clary sage, thyme, cloves, pine tree, peat, cedar, musk and vetiver. It had me at bergamot which I love.

Anyone else remember this from the 70s?

Greyduster Mon 10-Dec-18 19:58:51

One of the nicest fragrances I have come across is Floris of London No 89 Aftershave. It is spicy, woody, citrusy and absolutely gorgeous.

Tony2018 Mon 10-Dec-18 20:45:26

Eau de L’Occitan Eau de Toilette is lovely:

'Created through the distillation of authentic lavender blended with the peppery, nutmeg scent of burnt wood, L’Occitan Eau de Toilette is a nod to the rich scents of French Provence, in their ruggedness and mystery. This elegant and luxurious cologne is intended for men, but women love it, too.'

Top Note: Black pepper, Lavender
Middle Note: Nutmeg, Cinnamon
Base Note: Tonka Bean

Chewbacca Mon 10-Dec-18 20:48:09

Agree 're the Issy Miyake Pour Homme. Gorgeous scent!

MissAdventure Mon 10-Dec-18 20:52:09

Oh I do love the smell of a tonka bean! grin

Chewbacca Mon 10-Dec-18 21:31:59

grin MissA as always!

Tony2018 Mon 10-Dec-18 21:46:10

Maybe it’s what Charles Hawtrey wore in Carry on up the Jungle - he was Tonka the Great, king of the Lubby-Dubbys.

Blue45Sapphire Tue 11-Dec-18 08:00:36

DH would only ever wear Chanel Pour Monsieur; never known him to ever use anything else. He was wearing it when we met in 1969, and in his final week in hospital this year I took it in for him, and gently smoothed some of the after-shave cream into his cheeks, although by that time I don't think he knew. Still got some in the bathroom and the smell brings back such happy memories.

loopyloo Tue 11-Dec-18 08:05:05

Yes remember aqua di selva! Must look it up.