Gransnet forums

Chat

Family shows

(84 Posts)
MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 18:01:05

Was there anything which you can remember watching as a family when you were growing up?

We used to watch the wrestling on a Saturday afternoon, and then further down the line, we watched 'Kung Fu' on a Saturday night.

grannyactivist Fri 04-Jan-19 18:14:24

Yes, we used to watch Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks on Saturdays after our chores were done.

We watched The Avengers, Robin Hood, The Lone Ranger, Maverick, Bonanza, Dixon of Dock Green, Juke Box Jury, Crackerjack, Coronation street, Z Cars, Dr. Finlay's casebook - and a whole host of others that I suspect would seem very tame to children nowadays.

The Human Jungle (Herbert Lom) was really suspenseful, Tales of the Unexpected had my brother hiding behind the sofa', which he also did when watching Dr. Who.

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 18:17:45

Oh yes, I think my mum and me watched 'Tales Of The Unexpected', and also 'Dallas' when it was just us two.

Greyduster Fri 04-Jan-19 18:18:42

Going back a bit (a lot!!), but ‘What’s my Line’ was very popular in our house. ‘Dixon of Dock Green’. ‘Top of the Form’. ‘Zoo Quest’, ‘Diving to Adventure’ with Hans and Lottie Hasse, and ‘On Safari’ with Armand and Michaela Dennis were some of my dad’s favourites. Then there was Emergency Ward 10, and I’m sure when I have posted this the ones I can’t remember will come flooding back!

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 18:19:10

Or, my mum and I when it was just we two?
Me and me mum, anyway. smile

Greyduster Fri 04-Jan-19 18:20:57

‘Waggon Train’ !

Karanlouise Fri 04-Jan-19 18:22:10

The Saint, the Persuaders and Hawaii Five O. Happy memories.

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 18:23:25

We always watched Top Of The Pops.
My dad would say "you'd think with all his money, that Marc Bolan would be able to afford a shirt".
It was really infuriating! grin
Or he would dance into the front room, and when we objected say "well I'm the same age as (insert heartthrobs name)" so I thought you'd like it.

BlueBelle Fri 04-Jan-19 18:43:48

Oh that brought back some memories I used to watch the wrestling with my darling granddad on a Saturday afternoon Jackie Pallo, kendo Big Daddy etc etc Then Bonanza wagon train, 77 Sunset strip, Little House on the Prarie what’s my line Sunday palladium Michael miles Take your pick
We didn’t have a tv in the family till I was 15 then Nan and grandad had one my Nan didn’t want it as she was terrified of thunder storms and was convinced the house would be struck because of the aerial my grandad compromised and had the aerial put in the loft area inside but they didn’t speak for a few weeks I loved my Nan and granddad and spent a lo5 Of t8me with them

EllanVannin Fri 04-Jan-19 18:44:28

The Clampetts----Petticoat Junction. Family at War. Bewitched. Flintstones. Bonanza. Avengers.

Izabella Fri 04-Jan-19 18:46:01

You had tv's? Wow. grin

Greyduster Fri 04-Jan-19 18:46:03

Anyone remember ‘Come Dancing’? The black and white forerunner to ‘Strictly’? It ran for a long time as I remember.

BBbevan Fri 04-Jan-19 18:52:14

Come Dancing, yes. All those huge net dresses. And didn't they have formation Dancing also ?
Rawhide , Top of the Pops on Thursday nights. Morecombe and Wise. Billy Cotton Band Show, Two Ronnie and Z Cars .

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 18:55:09

Yes, my mum liked Come Dancing.
My friend told me her dad worked away, and when he was not home, her mum would draw the curtains so the neighbours wouldn't know, and then watch 'Coronation street', whilst she smoked a cigarette!

jacq10 Fri 04-Jan-19 19:20:15

My mother and I were addicted to "Peyton Place". We hated if Dad was around as he rustled his newspaper!! His favourites were Z-cars and Bonanza. My Mum liked Dr Kildare which I didn't really watch but remember getting hooked on "The Thorn Birds".

Greyduster Fri 04-Jan-19 19:23:36

Karanlouise I can’t imagine how I forgot about The Saint! When I was stationed at Mill Hill in the sixties and DH and I were courting we would often have a drink in a pub where it was not unusual to see Roger Moore, who was making The Saint at the time, having a pint on his own. It was his local (and mine!). No one bothered him.

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 19:26:25

Randall and Hopkirk, deceased.
H R Puffnstuff.. we used to watch those.

Greyduster Fri 04-Jan-19 19:29:30

The original ‘Maigret’ with Rupert Davies.

Jalima1108 Fri 04-Jan-19 19:56:22

The wrestling!

I watched Quatermass with my Dad (Mum didn't like it)
We all watched Dixon of Dock Green - 'Evenin' all'
Armand and Michael Denis's documentaries

DS and I used to watch The Sullivans when he was little

Jalima1108 Fri 04-Jan-19 19:59:04

oh yes - What's my Line, Top of the Form - thanks Greyduster for the reminder
Sunday Night at the London Palladium
Maigret

They just don't make 'em like that any more!

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 20:01:35

My dad and sister liked Monty Python, but my mum disapproved of it, so I wasn't allowed to watch it.

JackyB Fri 04-Jan-19 20:02:32

We watched things like "My Music" (where Robin Ray would wow everybody by naming the opus numbers as well as identifying the music) and Call My Bluff, University Challenge.

On weekend nights we hardly ever missed the Palladium, Morecambe and Wise, and, embarrassingly, the Black and White Minstrels. We also saw the entire Forsyte Saga, and watched soaps like Compact and then the Newcomers.

With the advent of Monty Python, views diverged drastically and we never watched anything together again.

Jalima1108 Fri 04-Jan-19 20:04:07

Name that Tune

jacq10 Fri 04-Jan-19 20:07:10

Greyduster - loved Maigret (Rupert Davies). This thread will keep my head buzzing all evening. Thinking now of "Van der Valk" - seem to remember it had a catchy theme as did many of the series back then.

phoenix Fri 04-Jan-19 20:13:20

I remember having to be very quiet when the football results were on TV, while my Granddad checked them against his coupon, and also the way that you could tell wether the score was higher, lower or a draw, just by the inflection of the announcers delivery!