Gransnet forums

Chat

Name a chore....

(212 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 18-Feb-19 11:15:45

Courtesy of FB this morning
Mine was sweeping down the stairs with a hand brush and dustpan, using a duster for the uncarpeted sides.

Gonegirl Mon 18-Feb-19 11:20:18

Going to the butchers on a Saturday morning and asking for a piece of beef/lamb/pork (on rotation) "about six shillings please".

Seem to remember I got a nice sized piece of topside for six bob.

kittylester Mon 18-Feb-19 11:22:29

Cleaning the silver cutlery! I hated it!

henetha Mon 18-Feb-19 11:25:53

Polishing the front step which was made of brass. I wonder if Brasso is still around?
P.S. I just Googled it and it is!

Dontaskme Mon 18-Feb-19 11:26:35

Cleaning out the open fire and putting the ash in the dustbin. Sometimes it would still be hot and the bin would catch fire! Luckily they were metal in those days

mcem Mon 18-Feb-19 11:26:48

I did exactly the same and my first reaction was that I couldn't think of another . However I always enjoyed polishing the big brass doorplate and knocker!
I am trying to persuade the DGCs that it is indeed an enjoyable task and that they should do the same for me.
Right now, mine certainly needs a good going over with Brasso!!

mcem Mon 18-Feb-19 11:28:03

Ps my reply was to maw's op.
Some of us were quick off the mark!

Scribbles Mon 18-Feb-19 11:32:11

Rolling up the pages of the local paper into "tubes" for Gran to lay in the fire grate under the kindling.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 18-Feb-19 11:38:21

Scribbles - I remember rolling newspaper sheets and then twisting them together for both sets of grannies. It never seemed onerous though, just helping the grown ups.

Mapleleaf Mon 18-Feb-19 11:39:42

Taking the empty pop bottles back to the local shop for the deposit. (Didn’t have lots of pop bottles, just a treat now and then).

Bellanonna Mon 18-Feb-19 11:42:33

Going to the library for my own books and having to ask the librarian for a “light novel” for my mother.

Bellanonna Mon 18-Feb-19 11:44:04

Cutting the grass with the manual mower. I loved the whirring sound it made.

Bellanonna Mon 18-Feb-19 11:44:54

Whirring’s not really the right word. Much louder than a whir.

leyla Mon 18-Feb-19 11:51:24

Help Dad to wash his car - they all seem to go to the car wash these days.

ninathenana Mon 18-Feb-19 11:52:46

I never had regular chores when little.
I do remember sitting on the lawn in summer shelling peas and eating a few !
I was also sent to the corner shop a 10 min walk away for what ever mum needed. She would wrap the coins in a note or in winter would tuck both in my mitten. I did this from about the age of 7. Wouldn't let GS who is the same age do it now

NanTheWiser Mon 18-Feb-19 12:05:53

Oh yes, cleaning the silver, a job I hated. Ditto going to the local shops when home at lunch time, for a loaf of bread, or some veg from the green grocers, and fags from the off licence! (For Mum!) also shelling peas on the back step, and hoping there were no maggots!
Sometimes on a Sunday we would have winkles for tea, so it was my job to extricate them from the shells with a needle.

Teetime Mon 18-Feb-19 12:12:04

Painting the step with Red Cardinal

sodapop Mon 18-Feb-19 12:54:02

Folding the laundry, shelling peas, dusting. I was not trusted to clean anything delicate or expensive. I remember visiting an Aunt with an outside lavatory so I had to empty my chamber pot each morning if it had been used.

BBbevan Mon 18-Feb-19 13:06:59

Rinsed then put the milk bottles on the doorstep. Hand washed my jumpers on a Saturday morning, and sugar starched my petticoats . ( note the plural)

Jessity Mon 18-Feb-19 13:29:03

Toasting bread on a brass toasting fork in front of the open fire in the kitchen. Loved that.

Being sent to fetch more coal from the dark and scary cellar. Hated that.

Marydoll Mon 18-Feb-19 13:44:38

Painting the windowsill with Red Cardinal and filling the coal scuttle.

tiredoldwoman Mon 18-Feb-19 13:55:26

I was always sent to the corner shop to buy cigarettes for my father . I had to light them , draw then pass them to him !

EllanVannin Mon 18-Feb-19 13:55:39

Using wax polish for the furniture and wooden floor surrounds.

Filling the coal scuttle and shovelling the coal so that the coal shed door would close after a delivery of coal.

Making paper spills/twists for the fire.

Putting the washing through the mangle if mum's rheumatism had flared up.

Digging up the potatoes for our meals.

EllanVannin Mon 18-Feb-19 13:56:51

P.S I used to get 6p--sixpence.

KatyK Mon 18-Feb-19 13:57:35

I am ashamed to say that my mother had 7 children and a horrible husband and we rarely lifted a finger to help her. Occasionally she would ask me to take an old pram to the coke yard to be filled with coke when she couldn't afford coal. I would only do it if she gave me threepence and used to hope no one from school would see me.