Gransnet forums

Chat

Strange baby names

(254 Posts)
Grammaretto Tue 19-Mar-19 15:40:51

I've just read the list of names chosen last year in Scotland. There's a Lucifer and a Corbyn.
Why would anyone inflict such a heavy burden on a baby?
I have no objection to unusual names or old fashioned ones and I appreciate you don't want the child to be one of 4 or 5 in the class with the same name - as I was, but really awful to name your child after the devil. Perhaps Corbyn's sister is May.

Grandma70s Tue 19-Mar-19 16:34:02

We gave my elder son a name that was solidly traditional, but had completely fallen out of favour in 1971. Now, much to my fury, it’s one of the most popular boys’ names. Something similar is happening with my grandson. We lead the fashion, it seems!

It’s a great responsibility naming a child. It labels them socially and in many other ways. I think British names are very influenced by America at the moment - perhaps they always were.

paddyann Tue 19-Mar-19 16:41:33

My granchildren have traditional names ,all except one who says she's the only person in the world with her name .She isn't, its scandinavian in origin but she's the only one in her school or in the area as far as I'm aware.She sees her unusual name as a problem because as soon as its mentioned everyone knows its her.You'll never keep people happy .I have no problem with what the expected baby is called whatever it is someone will complain .Probably its big sister ..lol

Baggs Tue 19-Mar-19 17:23:35

The child named Lucifer can be Luci if he becomes gender fluid, as is all the rage at the moment ?

Besides, the Christian interpretation is only one; other meanings are really quite nice:
Old English, from Latin, ‘light-bringing, morning star’, from lux, luc- ‘light’ + -fer ‘bearing’. Lucifer (sense 1) is by association with the ‘son of the morning’ (Isa. 14:12), believed by Christian interpreters to be a reference to Satan.

Day6 Tue 19-Mar-19 17:29:41

I am sure I heard a mother in the supermarket yesterday call her little girl "Celery". shock

She was nowhere near the fruit and veg aisle and wasn't talking to herself about things she must buy...things on the list..(the way I often do.)

Day6 Tue 19-Mar-19 17:34:56

Oh and one of our neighbours has a twelve year old DGD named Persephone after the greek goddess.

To their shame, when she started secondary school, every single teacher pronounced her name "Percy Phone" until she corrected them.

Grandma70s Tue 19-Mar-19 17:41:36

Percy Phone - oh dear! Such a beautiful name, too. Teachers obviously the opposite of the ones at my school who told the girl who pronounced her name Ireen that it should be Ireen-y. They were right, but I suppose a name should be pronounced the way its bearer wishes.

Come to think of it, Celery would sound quite pretty, if you didn’t know about the vegetable.

Day6 Tue 19-Mar-19 17:45:12

Yes Grandma70s, I thought, on reflection, that Celery was quite a sweet name.

I am not a fan of the vegetable though!

JenniferEccles Tue 19-Mar-19 17:50:36

I have heard "Chardonnay come 'ere" shouted out a few times, usually by an overweight tattooed teenage mother.

I am sure there are far sillier names out there though!

Jomarie Tue 19-Mar-19 18:11:04

I know a little boy called "Zeus" - he's absolutely gorgeous too. grin

KatyK Tue 19-Mar-19 18:13:55

There is a pop star who has boys called Artemis, Galileo and Geronimo.

Grammaretto Tue 19-Mar-19 18:20:06

I hadn't thought of that Baggs. I guess he could be Luke too if he wanted to.
I remember there was a baby Elvis in our town.
Our DGC have lovely unusual names, at least that's what we thought, and then as soon as we tell people we hear of a couple of others.
Nothing is original under the sun.

Purpledaffodil Tue 19-Mar-19 18:20:56

Infant classrooms these days sound like the Darby and Joan clubs of my childhood. Full of Wilfreds, Stanleys and Mabels ?Do prefer that to deliberate naming of children to simply use their initials eg TJ or JJ. Or my pet hate, names spelled in an idiosyncratic way such as Jaxon ?But parents will continue to name their children what they choose. Just as we did, so probably best not to be judgemental.

KatyK Tue 19-Mar-19 18:22:59

I remember the TV programme, Cheyenne. There were a few people naming boys Cheyenne then. I wonder if they kept the name?

Kalu Tue 19-Mar-19 18:23:57

? Baggs ?

There was a time when only ‘slebs’ Gave their offspring ridiculous names...’Apple’, Gwyneth Paltrow’s choice was the first I remember but now, so many parents want to be ‘edgy’, not giving a thought to their poor children who have to bear these names. David Bowie’s son, Zowie Bowie changed his name to George. I can understand why.

EllanVannin Tue 19-Mar-19 18:28:40

Hahahaha, JenniferEccles.

Littleannie Tue 19-Mar-19 18:42:32

I used to collect strange names when I worked in the Civil Service.
Isabella, who married a Mr Bell
Justin Salmon
Don Juan Eccles (A farm worker)
Annette Curtain

Grandma70s Tue 19-Mar-19 18:43:46

My 6-year-old granddaughter’s best friend is called Edith. It does make me smile. You just can’t have a 6-year-old Edith!

phoenix Tue 19-Mar-19 18:44:18

I do know of someone with a 7 year son called Odin..........

KatyK Tue 19-Mar-19 18:44:59

The baby next door but one to us is Elsie.

EllanVannin Tue 19-Mar-19 18:47:30

My GGC's names are a mixture of ancient and modern, English and European and include many family members names too. Nothing fancy.

phoenix Tue 19-Mar-19 18:51:45

Someone else I know has a grandchild called Ada, would rather that than Odin, who was (I think) a God of War!

1inamillion Tue 19-Mar-19 18:53:40

I had a number of strange names on my class register over the years but don't want to be judgemental as purple daffodil has said. I will just tell of one poor soul who was called Heavenly - her surname was Best ?

TerriBull Tue 19-Mar-19 18:54:00

Oh it's not the same as being saddled with a daft, or maybe I should say unusual name in the past, although Lucifer is perhaps a step too far Many children these days have what their parents might perceive as edgy names, except they aren't anymore because there will be others with similar, it's probably more cutting edge to resurrect a bog standard moniker.

I remember one of my son pronouncing the beautiful name "Persephone" as Percy Phone and he also had a friend who he continually referred to as Ann Harrad, I would ask him why he felt the need to always use both her Christian and surname when he called everyone else by just their first name, to which he replied "cos that's her name". Later on I discovered that she was actually a Welsh "Angharad"

I also mistakenly thought that little girls called "Trinity" were named so, by committed catholics, how wrong apparently she's a character in "The Matrix" shock

Growing up with a foreign and fairly unusual surname, spending my childhood being mispronounced, I didn't want to lumber my children with a name that would be mispronounced, however my late father in law still managed to do that to my older son by changing the "x" in the shortened version of his name to a "c" and continued to do it all the time, even though we told him umpteen times "that's not his name" got on my nerves hmm

phoenix Tue 19-Mar-19 18:54:19

Kalu it was Duncan, actually, not George. He is now a film director, I think.