Gransnet forums

Chat

Watching the old ‘carry on’ films which I still love, but jeez, what did women see in Sid James?

(97 Posts)
Kandinsky Fri 19-Apr-19 11:38:20

Funny man & great actor, but by no stretch of the imagination was he good looking.
Or am I missing something?

Nannylovesshopping Fri 19-Apr-19 11:43:18

?I guess this is a classic example of beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think that’s the saying.

Tweedle24 Fri 19-Apr-19 11:54:06

A universal answer from women when asked what they find attractive in men is "He makes me laugh." Maybe that is what they saw in Sid James.

BrandyButter Fri 19-Apr-19 11:55:30

Have you never heard the expression 'Laugh a girl into bed' ?? He was funny, had a good sense of humour and very smooth talking. If only the good looking got the girls then all the lesser looking would die off and we would be a world of beautiful people wink

KatyK Fri 19-Apr-19 12:02:28

Barbara Windsor was in love with him at one point (allegedly). We can't all be gorgeous. We have to work with what we've got.

SueDonim Fri 19-Apr-19 12:05:08

My mum, now aged 91, was a Sid James fan. She said it was his dirty laugh that did it for her! grin

Rufus2 Fri 19-Apr-19 12:30:29

Have you never heard the expression 'Laugh a girl into bed' ??

No!! Neither have I heard the expression "laugh a man out of bed!" wink

Kandinsky; Me perhaps! ? You've described me to a "T", except my name's not Sid . grin Have a Happy Easter!

Jane10 Fri 19-Apr-19 12:41:17

It reminds me of my incredulity at Max Branning in Eastenders being somehow irresistible to women!!

GabriellaG54 Fri 19-Apr-19 14:42:16

I always attracted what most women would class as 'good-looking guys' in my youth and even up to my 50s (although well married by then) but by then I preferred men who had something else other than looks to commend them, something indefinable.
Lately, although in a LTR, I have found a certain professional (who is absolutely the antithesis of good-looking) very attractive. He's at the pinnacle of his profession and 25 years younger but obviously I'll never meet him as I have only seen him from a distance, nor do I want to meet.
It's a bit weird but I've never been into the tall, dark handsome myth and I'm completely happy with my OH who is not tall, but is dark-haired and reasonably attractive.
Perhaps tastes change through our ages. I like interesting men in positions of 'power' who dress well, although the best dressed man I ever dated was a plumber who always wore bespoke suits, Gieves and Hawke shirts and beautiful casual wear, handmade shoes etc.
Men in trainers are a no-no unless at the gym or running. No football shirts or hoodies either.
Sid? No. The voice and face...No chance.

kittylester Fri 19-Apr-19 14:46:46

jane, my middle daughter and lots of her friends find him attractive, to the extent of texting each other when he is on - baffles me.confused

Jane10 Fri 19-Apr-19 15:08:34

kittylester blimey! confused

GabriellaG54 Fri 19-Apr-19 15:29:14

kittylester
Blimey x 2 ?

MawBroonsback Fri 19-Apr-19 15:49:32

Blimeyx3

BlueBelle Fri 19-Apr-19 15:56:08

Well it’s said women like ‘ a bit of ruff’ so I guess Sid James would be that bit of ‘ruff’
Never could stand Carry on films and still can’t Barbara Windsor with her cackling laugh and silly Kenneth Willian’s but then i m not from the other end of the scale either because Ive never heard of Gieves and Hawke or (in another thread) ‘rose veal’ ??

BrandyButter Fri 19-Apr-19 16:01:40

Rufus2 you don't know what you have been missing smile. The quickest way to get a girl into bed is to make her laugh, it makes her feel good and happy and more amenable to your advances. It has been many a 'plain' looking guy's dating tool. Maybe it is just a Northern thing grin I know for a fact it has worked for many a chap grin. But I do not like the 'laugh a man out of bed' as it does exist and is used as a warning 'be wary of laughing once in the bed as a man may take it as a reflection of his size and will jump straight out!' and no I have no experience of that grin grin

Nannyxthree Fri 19-Apr-19 17:33:06

I read Joan Sims' autobiography many years ago and she said she would have jumped at the chance of an affair with Sid James. No I can't understand it either.

Oldandverygrey Fri 19-Apr-19 17:36:45

I could have eloped with Sid James in a heartbeat!

GabriellaG54 Fri 19-Apr-19 22:19:32

Frankly m'dear, I don't care for men who can 'laugh you into bed' or anywhere else for that matter.
A great sense of humour is all well and good but I hate bantz (banter) and I suppose I like the more serious (but not dull) type of man.
Everyone has some story to tell and I like hearing about their exploits and history.
I remember writing some years ago (online) about an event in my life to which I received a flurry of email replies.
One man wrote that he had never felt such emotion as when reading the tale and said he wished he was the man in the story.
Words can be a powerful tool and I much prefer men who are articulate.

Callistemon Fri 19-Apr-19 23:19:11

kitty blimey x 4

Callistemon Fri 19-Apr-19 23:21:59

Well, I have heard of Gieves and Hawkes but it rather reminds me of Jacob Rees-Mogg and brings to mind the term 'a stuffed shirt'.

BradfordLass72 Sat 20-Apr-19 05:25:40

Anyone remember Patrick Wymark in 'The Power Game'?

He wasn't conventionally handsome either but by jingoes he was sexy.
But don't ask me why grin

And not a laugh in sight.

Barbara Windsor and Sid James, both married to other people, had a long-running affair and as Barbara was wed to a friend of the Kray Twins, Sid was sailing a bit close to the wind. shock

Larissa67 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:15:33

Don't the French have an expression 'jolie laide'? Being pretty or handsome does not always mean attractive. Sorry Sid, but Humphrey Bogart is more my type!

Greyduster Sat 20-Apr-19 08:47:46

Gabriella I would imagine that given what they charge, plumbers are among the only people who can afford to buy their togs at Gieves and Hawkes!
I have a soft spot for some, but not all, Carry On films, but I can’t understand the attraction to Sid James either. I have sometimes thought, in passing, that the older DH gets, the more he has a look of Sid James about him ?!

sandelf Sat 20-Apr-19 10:16:41

I always thought the joke was that he believed he was universally fancied - and I have met men who pursue a policy of 'ask 'em all, you might get lucky' - eternally hopeful. I have no idea if 'ask 'em all' pays off - it might.

icanhandthemback Sat 20-Apr-19 10:27:05

I think Sid James had twinkly eyes that promised a good time! I thought he was so ugly, he almost became beautiful again. I think the same about Jeff Goldblum. I've never gone for the traditional tall, dark handsome types! Normally, if they are broke, a victim in some way with a twinkle in their eyes, I'm their girl! Fortunately, the frog I kissed last turned out to have more potential than the initial impressions. grin