Gransnet forums

Chat

Thump thump thump !

(24 Posts)
NanKate Sat 18-May-19 22:04:12

We live up a hill and down in the valley there is a park. At present I can hear a thump thump thump of music from the food, drink and music festival.

We don’t go because the tickets are £45.00 each then you buy small plates of food prepared by a variety of celebrity chefs for a fiver each. I know if we went DH would say ‘where are the vegetables?’ ?

I’m quite happy for others to go but the thumping noise till midnight is what gets me down. I never used to mind noise in the past but now I go for peacefulness.

Anyone else affected by noise ?

phoenix Sat 18-May-19 22:09:26

Is the festival just an annual event? If so, then I think I could just about our up with the noise for one night out of 365!

MawBroonsback Sat 18-May-19 22:11:02

DD and SIL’s house and garden lback onto a private park which hosts an annual Folk and Jazz festival. Tickets do not come cheap but I have enjoyed sitting out on their terrace sipping a glass of something cold and listening to it at no cost whatsoever
I might feel less. enthusiastic if I backed onto our village pub when it hosts its annual Beer and Sausage Festival over the 3= days of the May Bank Holiday weekend! ???
I think I would decamp over the weekend.

annep1 Sat 18-May-19 22:48:05

Earplugs work quite well but not very comfortable. I sympathise. I have a condition which causes intolerance of noise. I hope its not too often.

annodomini Sat 18-May-19 22:55:48

There were complaints in this village a couple of weeks ago when a fundraiser was in full swing at the Sports club, but I couldn't hear the noise unless I went outside. My double glazing was proving its worth that night.

BradfordLass72 Sun 19-May-19 03:39:54

I have wonderfully soft foam earplugs, provided by the hospital, so on the rare occasion a neighbour has a party, I wear these and turn the audio book up.

It's a pity to resent people having fun, especially if they're raising money.

shysal Sun 19-May-19 07:05:14

There was a party or something in my village last night. It wasn't the thumping so much as the voice of the DJ or MC above the music. I was very glad when midnight arrived!
This sort of event is very rare here so I shrug my shoulders and hope everyone enjoyed it. My GCs might even have been there. The trouble is I still woke up at 4am!
Hope you have recovered Kate. I wouldn't attend a festival at those prices!

kittylester Sun 19-May-19 07:25:12

It's the thump that gets to you isn't it, kate?

The pub at the top of our road has occasional events. If the windows and doors are open there is a lot of noise but, if they contain the noise, the thump is awful.

NanKate Sun 19-May-19 07:30:48

BradfordLassI don’t resent anyone having fun. The money went to the celebrity chefs who attended. I would never complain.

The Thames runs through the park so it is a very popular venue. There has been an event there the last 3 weekends and there are many more to come.

I’m fine Sally thanks, I just popped my earphones in and listened to the radio till I dropped off.

The point of this thread was more to do with noise and its affect on us. I used to be quite a noisy, bouncy person but with age I have quietened down and enjoy peace and quiet now.

Ginny42 Sun 19-May-19 07:31:23

I know the thump, thump, thump! There is a massive pop festival held annually in several fields about a mile from my home and the disruption and noise is very bad. It's a whole weekend of noise and traffic congestion. The houses opposite each have a guard on the gate and temporary fences erected. I see people on the third morning trailing along the roads waiting to be picked up or crawling out from people's gardens where they've been sleeping or worse. Everywhere is strewn with litter and there are also problems with drugs and there have been deaths. Not a great idea to use the same venue every year. I suppose some people make a lot of money from it though and people enjoy being there, so we normally just put up and shut up.

NanKate Sun 19-May-19 07:31:36

Spot on Kitty.

Culag Sun 19-May-19 08:21:27

I once heard Bruce Springsteen thumping out across my garden and all the city, shame I couldn’t see him!

chicken Sun 19-May-19 08:40:16

There is a wedding venue about half a mile along our lane and all through the summer months, every Saturday night there is the thump, thump, thump of pop music followed by the crash, bang of fireworks. Having to keep the windows shut on hot nights is annoying and ear plugs are often a necessity as well. I pity the people who live next door to the venue. It must make their lives hell.

eazybee Sun 19-May-19 08:49:04

A field at the edge of our village is let out by a local resident for a several small scale ' folk music festivals' in the summer months, lasting from Friday night to Sunday evening, usually wrapped around bank holidays. The 'music', amplified, is still being performed at 2 o'clock in the morning, despite being illegal, and I can hear it two miles away. The people who live nearby are driven to distraction, and it has taken three years of protests, petitions and meetings with the district council to get it stopped.
I don't believe that anyone has the right to inflict their musical tastes on other people, in their own homes, plus the damage some of the audience inflict on their surroundings. Urinating in residents' gardens is the least of it.

sodapop Sun 19-May-19 09:10:54

It must be difficult to live near a regularly used venue especially in the summer when you want to open the windows. Anti social behaviour is upsetting and does not seem to attract much punishment in the eyes of the law.
I wouldn't bother too much about a one off event though.

Baggs Sun 19-May-19 09:29:21

I have never understood the apparently common liking for loud thumping noise, nor for the incessant noise of, for example, most radio programmes whether talking or a mix of talking and music. It "does my head in", by which I mean it causes me distress and anxiety after a while.

I want to be able to hear birds, the rustle of trees, wind, rain, and so on.

I think it's antisocial to impose high levels of unnecessary noise on other people. Why do food and drink festivals need a background thump? Even when it's good music, which it rarely is, removing people's choice about hearing it is wrong, in my view. If people want to be noisy, why can't they do it in a contained soundproof space?

BlueBelle Sun 19-May-19 09:38:48

But only till midnight you really can’t be complaining about that ....if you’re up turn the radio/tv up if your trying to sleep earplugs or the radio on low but midnight is not late once in a while....if it happens every weekend then I agree not good
I used to love going to festivals would still go if I could find someone who loves them too most of my friends wouldn’t ever get in a tent it makes me sad that I may never go to another one or even camping again

DanniRae Sun 19-May-19 09:47:38

I live opposite a school that hires out it's hall for parties from time to time. The bit that gets me is that I can hear the thump, thump, thump music but my husband can't. His hearing is better than mine for normal noises so I don't understand it.

Luckygirl Sun 19-May-19 10:10:29

I hate the thumping too - but if it is just for a short time and part of an outdoor festival once a year I think I might just suck it up.

fairisle Sun 19-May-19 16:56:46

I don`t like noise,i moved 4 miles from the city centre 7 years ago,it`s mainly peaceful until Bank holidays then it seems as every neighbour needs to use power tools and have a barbeque.

Cherrytree59 Sun 19-May-19 17:09:18

One of the reasons I choose to shop in Aldi is that they don't pipe music out.

You can not hope to play music to every taste,
so why bother?

fizzers Sun 19-May-19 18:07:38

try living on my council estate and it's thump thump every day during the summer months. On a weekend there are several different thump thumps....

hugshelp Sun 19-May-19 18:25:01

I really suffer with acute sensitivity to noise. I do find noise-cancelling headphones helpful - they don't deliver total silence but they do help.
We have noisy neighbours. We also live on a road that has got busier and busier since a shop was built opposite us - increasingly we find someone will park outside our house and sit with the music thumping out really loudly in the car while their partner goes to the shop. I find it really loud so goodness knows what it sounds like in the car. And yes, I'm hoping to move somewhere quieter in about a year when hubby retires.
And another vote for Aldi and a nice quiet shop.

annep1 Mon 20-May-19 19:34:05

Well I do sympathise NanKate. I would be really upset if I had to look forward to that every weekend. Especially on bright evenings when you want to enjoy sitting outside and leave the windows open. And I don't think people have the right to inflict noise on anyone on a regular basis. Different if it's a birthday party or something.