Gransnet forums

Chat

Twitter

(34 Posts)
RedRidingHood Sun 19-May-19 13:15:01

I love Twitter.
Came to it a bit late as I've been on MN and GN for years.
Yes there are some nasty people but I've discovered so many clever, funny and interesting people. I started by following authors, then branched out into gardening.
I'm completely ignorant about art but have discovered @HWarlow who posts paintings with background details and thoughtful comments.
What sort of things do others enjoy?

BlueBelle Sun 19-May-19 13:23:28

I have never been able to understand how Twitter works at all I joined some years back but have not used it as I just don’t get it. It asked me who I wanted to follow I thought and thought and couldn’t think of anyone I wanted to ‘follow’ I m sure you ll tell me I m missing out big time but I just didn’t get it

RedRidingHood Sun 19-May-19 13:51:26

I read a lot and started by searching for writers I like and following them. Some were just advertising their books but others were funny. When I saw a retweet I liked I would follow them and you end up following all kinds of people. I only have a couple of RL friends on there.

ninathenana Sun 19-May-19 13:56:42

I've never even looked at it, let alone joined.

Greenfinch Sun 19-May-19 14:03:11

I have no interest in following people.It is as much as I can do to keep up with people in real life.

maryeliza54 Sun 19-May-19 14:26:02

I love Twitter - I’ve learned a great deal and have enjoyed exchanging tweets with some people well regarded in their field. If you are not actually on it, you really don’t know how it works.

EllanVannin Sun 19-May-19 14:30:19

I follow a certain section to keep up to date with " proceedings " but haven't joined.

RedRidingHood Sun 19-May-19 15:40:16

Glad it's not just me then.
Politicians can be very boring on Twitter but I've found the odd one to be very insightful.
EllanVannin I follow a certain section as well though I don't post on the topic.

Gymstagran Sun 19-May-19 18:26:02

I like Twitter and use it to keep up to date with happenings in the local area and research and opportunities in the sight sector. I then pass on what I have found to my support group. I also advertise group meetings in this way. Basically use it as a business tool.

BlueBelle Sun 19-May-19 18:59:52

So really it’s no different to FB you can join all sorts of local groups for info and follow others group pages etc etc I run two groups on fb so I guess that’s about the same One has 60 odd followers one about 500

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 19:04:26

My 20 year old dd twins have followers. I mean I love them to bits but really? grin

However I am on but never tweeted! grin but maybe later grin

Gonegirl Sun 19-May-19 20:48:37

I love Twitter too. I find I get most of my news from Twitter! I've now got about 80 followers! Well, 78 if you don't count the washing machine manufacturer and the next day delivery service. Lovely, interesting people.

Gonegirl Sun 19-May-19 20:51:06

I follow Helen Warlow too! (does she do anything but sit at her 'puter and find pictures all day? confused)

NfkDumpling Sun 19-May-19 20:57:54

I’m like Bluebelle. I’ve got it but haven’t a clue what to do with it!

I think I may have posted on something I came across, but where it went and who could see it I’ve no idea. I’ve clicked on re-tweet, but goodness knows what that did!

RedRidingHood Mon 20-May-19 11:01:37

Gonegirl grin
I'm in awe of her knowledge though and so many pictures!
I also follow Marian Keyes who is very entertaining. And a farmer who posts scenic pictures of rural idyll and lambs.

Jane10 Mon 20-May-19 11:52:46

I'm another Twitter fan. I've found all sorts of interesting people on it. I like Helen Warlows pictures too but also follow various authors, police dogs, otters and all sorts of funny and interesting people. There's always something interesting or entertaining to read.

Gonegirl Mon 20-May-19 12:03:41

I think we might be following the same people Redridinghood. I follow a farmer who is "up North"!

Greyduster Mon 20-May-19 12:40:06

My DH is addicted to Twitter. I have never looked at it. He gets notifications in the middle of the night that some insomniac or other is following him (he never hears them). If he doesn’t remember to switch them off, they will be following him to a hole on the patio where I shall be replacing the slabs over his remains!

Nonnie Mon 20-May-19 12:42:06

BlueBelle there are significant differences between Twitter and FB, you cannot choose who follows you but you can block them. Anyone can see what you tweet. I use both but you have to be prepared that you might not like some of the things said, so if you can't laugh at what complete strangers say don't do it.

Of course you could sign up, have a go and then leave if you don't like it.

RedRidingHood Mon 20-May-19 12:48:51

I like a cat account as well. Larry the No10 cat (though not seen him lately) and Terry Barlow is very funny.
Not a fan of Facebook.

Jane10 Mon 20-May-19 12:54:00

Terry Barlow is just lovely. I love hearing of his exploits! I follow Larry the cat too and Marion Keyes. We must be on the same wavelength.

BlueBelle Mon 20-May-19 13:05:50

But nonnie I still don’t get it if I post on twitter who sees it? You say ‘anybody’ ( same as fb if you make it public) but how would anyone know I was even on Twitter apart from anyone I told Where would I post my first comment ?
I understand Facebook I make a post and I choose who sees it family, family plus friends, or wide public or I can choose to block anyone I don’t want to see it that doesn’t sound different at all
I am signed up , years ago but I don’t understand where to post I don’t have any ‘celebrities’ or others I want to follow so how do you get started ?
Nfkdumpling you sound at the same stage as me

BlueBelle Mon 20-May-19 13:06:21

Oh yes I don’t have a clue about all this hashtag stuff either

Gonegirl Mon 20-May-19 13:09:47

Yes, I follow Larry. Like the pictures of him but I don't like the person wjho runs his account for him. Too political. I follow Palmerston too - the cat at the Treasury. Him and Larry have awful fights! hmm

Gonegirl Mon 20-May-19 13:10:47

If anyone wants to follow me I am Moonlightandroses. I'm a bit boring though.