Gransnet forums

Chat

Sorry GN'ers, probably my fault.......

(61 Posts)
phoenix Fri 24-May-19 11:40:59

Well, the recent period of good weather prompted a mini flurry of Spring activity here smile

I shaved my legs (had to be done in the bath, can't do that "flamingo" thing in the shower) toenails painted (by MR P, he can get nearer to them than me, and as long as he has his glasses on and good lighting, the result isn't too bad wink

I even found and i*on#d my cropped trousers shock (after checking to see if they still fitted, of course, no point wasting energy!

So, so all ready and good to go!

Except it is now dull, overcast and a tad chilly................sad

Sara65 Fri 24-May-19 11:48:42

Well it’s best to be prepared!
Can’t decide whether or not to put winter clothes away, got my toes (prettily painted by myself) out today, but they could well be back in tights tomorrow

kittylester Fri 24-May-19 11:59:03

Dont worry Phoenix, not your fault. We are going to the seaside next week - that's what done it!!

Beckett Fri 24-May-19 12:02:41

Not your fault Phoenix - it's mine, I put away all my winter jumpers last week

Septimia Fri 24-May-19 13:25:29

And we turned the central heating off for the 'summer'.

EllanVannin Fri 24-May-19 13:30:55

And I washed nearly all my winter woollies over the weeks but now having to fish them back out again with the Northern areas getting colder sad Wouldn't you know ?
Heavy quilt for my bed at the ready too.

Charleygirl5 Fri 24-May-19 13:44:44

I have a 15 tog duvet and I am still taking a hot water bottle to bed because I do not want to die of hypothermia. I wear winter cardigans in summer- I only take it off if there is a heatwave.

BlueBelle Fri 24-May-19 14:04:35

Beautiful hot and sunny here in the east

Doodle Fri 24-May-19 14:34:10

Well phoenix trust you!
DH and I had a nice walk planned this afternoon, by the river and possibly including an ice cream. Just getting ready to go and the blue sky has vanished, clouds coming in and a chilly breeze is wafting about.
You know the rules about not casting a clout till May is out and here you are flaunting cropped trousers on the 24th. Sigh...if only you’d waited another few days. Unlike the others, I blame you entirely ??

Hang on a minute, .....a bit of blue sky has appeared,.... the wind has dropped a bit,... there might be a glimmer of sun.........ok, you are forgiven ?

Namsnanny Fri 24-May-19 14:47:20

Doodle.....Haha!! grin

SirChenjin Fri 24-May-19 14:58:25

Are you mad??? Everyone knows you cast ne'er a clout until May is out (or cloot/oot as we say up here in the frozen wasteland of Scotland - where the sun is actually shining, strangely enough).

Hell mend you (and your cropped trousers).

sodapop Fri 24-May-19 15:02:39

SirChenjin I think that saying refers to May blossom not the month.

SirChenjin Fri 24-May-19 15:08:23

I think there's still some debate around that, isn't it? I've seen it referred to both the month and the hawthorn. This gives a bit more info www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/till-may-is-out.html smile

SirChenjin Fri 24-May-19 15:08:44

referring

glammanana Fri 24-May-19 15:09:43

Toes painted and feet buffed to an inch of their life with cropped jeans at the ready did not work for me on Tuesday evening when we landed back at M'Chester from a week in Majorca as usual we where greeted with the usual drizzle of rain and cold so all my summer stuff will stay packed up for the forseeable future.

GillT57 Fri 24-May-19 15:39:37

of course 'Ne'er cast a clout til May is out' has a totally different meaning after this morning. Funnily enough, first week of June is when I put my tomatoes out, and my pots.....and my freshly painted toes.

phoenix Fri 24-May-19 16:49:33

I too thought that saying referred to May blossom, and it's out in profusion here in North Devon!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 24-May-19 16:53:19

If I clean the windows or wash the car it is guaranteed to rain - which is why they look so grubby.

Auntieflo Fri 24-May-19 17:54:33

Well DD and SIL are off to the Big Church Weekend, so it’s bound to be wet, isn’t it?

Doodle Fri 24-May-19 21:15:58

According to the internet some say it’s May trees other say it’s the month of May. I always thought it was the month of May myself. Either way phoenix we had a nice walk but it wasn’t as warm as it looked earlier in the day so I blame you for the fact that I didn’t get my ice cream ??

phoenix Fri 24-May-19 21:34:25

Doodle you can actually eat ice cream even if it isn't sunny!

Unless of course there are odd archaic bylaws where you live
"If the weather be not sunny, eat no ice cream, firm or runny,
but if indeed the sun do shine,
Ice cream pleasure shall be thine
Chose your wafer or your cornet,
But guard yourself from wasp or hornet
For if in your cornet you place a flake,
They will for you a beeline make
And some strawberry sauce you chose,
They might sting you on the nose!

I'll get me coat..........

GrandmainOz Sat 25-May-19 04:13:07

*Phoenix *that's brilliant ?

BradfordLass72 Sat 25-May-19 05:06:50

I shaved my legs (had to be done in the bath, can't do that "flamingo" thing in the shower

Eeeuuw TMI !!

phoenix Sat 25-May-19 07:21:09

BradfordLass what's "Eeeuuw" about that? I just can't (safely) stand on one leg and wield a razor. confused

kittylester Sat 25-May-19 08:14:32

Not only could I not stand on one leg but I couldn't see without my glasses!

Luckily, I am so old I have next to next to no leg hair to worry about.