Gransnet forums

Chat

Autograph Books.

(43 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 20-Jul-19 12:58:14

My youngest GD finished primary school yesterday. She was rather sad to leave teachers and some friends who would be going to different secondary schools, but my DIL reminded her how she will be able to keep in touch via texts, messages, WhatsApp etc.
Made me think back 55 years ago when I left primary school. We all took autograph books and got friends, teachers, dinner ladies etc to write in them. I can still recall some of the words of wisdom that were inscribed there.
Oh happy days!
✒️

EllanVannin Sat 20-Jul-19 13:10:55

Yes I had an autograph book with a few interesting inscriptions and signatures in it but sadly I never knew what became of it. I remember having signatures of a couple of singers from the Russian Red Army choir when they were in the area and a couple of now obscure groups along with a concert pianist and an uncle who was in the Liverpool Royal Philharmonic orchestra.

One autograph read : " Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday so don't worry, it may never happen ".

annodomini Sat 20-Jul-19 13:11:12

I have a picture of DGS2 wearing a polo shirt emblazoned with the autographs of his school-mates. Now, three years later, his brother will have the same thing.

ninathenana Sat 20-Jul-19 17:33:19

Yes anno that was the same for my children. DD still has hers 20 yrs later in her treasure box.
It was autograph books when I left scbool.

Grammaretto Sat 20-Jul-19 17:48:32

I still have mine from primary school!
It's easy to find a pal when the world is full of hope but it's hard to find a towel when your eyes are full of soap was one of my favourite entries.

sodapop Sat 20-Jul-19 17:51:20

I still have my autograph book somewhere, think the most famous person in there was Harry Corbett of Sooty fame.

Love the soap entry Grammaretto

Tangerine Sat 20-Jul-19 18:35:36

An entry in my autograph book was:-

Said the toe to the sock,
"Please let me through".

Said the sock to the toe,
"I'll be darned if I do".

My grandmother wrote it. Seems like yesterday but it must be nearly 60 years ago.

Tangerine Sat 20-Jul-19 18:36:43

I don't believe, for a moment, she was the first person to write this. I imagine she had read it somewhere.

When I read through my post, I realised I'd implied she thought of it herself.

Grammaretto Sat 20-Jul-19 18:46:32

Love it Tangerine smile

Fall from a treetop
Fall from above
But for heaven's sake grammaretto
Don't fall in love

G was on the tennis court
Blue sky above
X was on the other side
Of course the score was love

A bit racy for 11yr olds - dont you agree!

bonji Sat 20-Jul-19 19:38:21

I had a fantastic English/form teacher for the last year at Secondary school and what he made me achieve has helped me so much in life. His entry in my autograph book (which I still have) was:

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.

Nanny41 Sun 21-Jul-19 10:27:02

I have an autograph book with all sorts of famous people ( in my day) our neighbour played in the orchestra at the Liverpool Empire and he was able to get a lot of autographs,I often look at them and wonder if there is any value to these signatures.

Chewbacca Sun 21-Jul-19 10:29:36

My most treasured autograph was from Des O'Connor, I waited hours to get it!

GrannyMosh Sun 21-Jul-19 10:30:50

Grammaretto, I had one in a similar vein, courtesy of an uncle.

I called on a friend,
Her name was Miss Brown.
She was having a bath,
And so couldn't come down.
I said "Slip on something,
And come down here quick!"
So she slipped on the soap
And was down in a tick!

Grammaretto Sun 21-Jul-19 10:47:28

GrannyMosh smile

I once went to the stage door with my DS who wanted to see the actors. I felt so sorry for one old actress, very famous to my generation but not to the younger ones who asked her, with their autograph books in hand "when are the big stars coming out?"

Leah50 Sun 21-Jul-19 10:54:37

My favourite autograph was by our next door neighbour. A drawing of a framed picture filled in entirely black & captioned " A photograph of Me & Auntie Jo taken in a thick fog at midnight." I still smile at that one.

Riggie Sun 21-Jul-19 10:58:42

My son asked for one when he left secondary school. I'm not sure hes looked at it since!!

Nanny123 Sun 21-Jul-19 11:06:24

I once did a basic counselling course. At the beginning of the course I felt I shouldn’t have been there. The group consisted of a solicitor, a policeman, a social worker, a accountant and other professional people, I was just a “mere’ receptionists. As the course went on I realised that these people were no different to me, they all had baggage. At the end of the course the tutor got us all to write about everyone else and what we seen in that person, it was all annonomous so you didnt know who had written what. This was called the gift - and what a lovely gift it was. I had some of the nicest things said about me that made me proud of who I was and what I had achieved. That group taught me never to judge people. It indeed was one of the biggest lessons I have ever had. Nothing can beat pen and paper for special moments like that

Mauriherb Sun 21-Jul-19 11:27:53

Nanny123 that sounds like a lovely group

Aepgirl Sun 21-Jul-19 11:37:36

Yes, I’ve still got mine.

quizqueen Sun 21-Jul-19 12:14:54

We used to write in our hymn books on the last day but that was at my secondary school (grammar). I still have mine. I did have an autograph book for famous people though. I went on a trip with the Brownies to the London Palladium to see Frank Ifield, left the book with someone who worked there and it got signed and posted back to me- free of charge; don't know where that is now though. We used to go to the Disney theme parks a lot and my children always got autographs off the characters -even Eeyore managed to write with his 'hooves'!

jaylucy Sun 21-Jul-19 12:20:28

I still have both of mine with autographs such as David Essex (saw him in Godspell) Noel Edmonds, Dave Lee Travis, one of the Southampton 1975 FA Cup winning team (he grew up just round the corner from me). Along with schoolfriends and teachers from both schools I went to.
I found my autograph books a few years ago again - my SiL was reading them, including a rather embarrassing one from a guy that I had had a crush on at the time it was written - it was actually a song title from one of his favourite bands and ( she has no filter) she made such a big thing of it and didn't seem to realise how I was so upset !

Esmerelda Sun 21-Jul-19 13:30:32

Like others I had an autograph book when I left school but I have no idea what happened to it. However I do remember some of the silly entries:

YYUR
YYUB
ICUR
YY4me

...was one, together with ...

Of all the boys from east to west
We love the boys of **** best
We love to kiss their greasy lips
Because they taste of fish and chips!

Ooer missus.

catta5 Sun 21-Jul-19 14:02:58

Mine is full of the top stars of the1960s even the Beatles and later top tennis stars whilst enjoying being at Wimbledon and even Australian cricketers

Shizam Sun 21-Jul-19 14:09:10

I came across mine from primary school just the other day.

‘If all the boys lived under the sea, what a good swimmer Shizam would be.’ was a popular entry!

cavewoman Sun 21-Jul-19 14:18:31

No doubt the first entry was "By hook or by crook I'll be first in your book"