Gransnet forums

Chat

Bank holiday, yay!

(42 Posts)
humptydumpty Sat 24-Aug-19 13:15:10

Just off to Foodies Festival, hoping to see Nawamin (the Thai cutie from MasterChef) - fabulous weather, sunny, 28 degress. What more could you ask?

How's everybody spending the holiday?

crazyH Sat 24-Aug-19 13:17:50

In bed, following a rib injury.

Enjoy your Foodies Festival while I crawl down for a ham sandwich ?

NanKate Sat 24-Aug-19 13:19:03

Fab weather here in South Bucks so have booked an outdoors performance of Bohemian Rhapsody plus taking our own yummy picnic curtesy of M and S. Seen the film before but it should be good to watch in the moonlight by the river on Monday night when it will still be warm.

Enjoy the BH folks whatever you are doing.

Charleygirl5 Sat 24-Aug-19 13:43:30

To me, it is another day so I will be using my washing machine as usual. At least I do not have to return to paid work the next day.

I will stay off the road- even locally it will be hell on earth.

MiniMoon Sat 24-Aug-19 13:46:00

Far too busy everywhere. We are spending a quiet bank holiday weekend at home.
We are doing something next Wednesday though, a cruise down the river Tees with afternoon tea. It will probably rain!

glammanana Sat 24-Aug-19 13:49:02

We are not going anywhere we have done all the daft queue's when the DCs where little and would not wish it on anyone ever all the traffic jams bumper to bumper what joy is in that I just don't know.
Off to M&S to stock up on some scrummy picnic goodies to enjoy in our garden tomorrow weather permitting and that is as far as I'm going 10mins there and 10mins back job done.

tanith Sat 24-Aug-19 13:49:52

Same as Charleygirl the roads are a definite no no on bank holidays, it’s peace and quiet in the garden.

Septimia Sat 24-Aug-19 13:55:07

Taking DS, DiL and DGD to see Kynren tonight. The weather should be perfect!

Susan56 Sat 24-Aug-19 13:59:07

We are walking into town later as it is our town’s annual balloon festival!

Grannybags Sat 24-Aug-19 14:14:11

Just another day for us too. Been for a lovely long walk this morning and probably spending the rest of the day in the garden (as long as it isn't too hot!)

We're always glad when everyone gets back to work and we have the open spaces to ourselves again!

MissAdventure Sat 24-Aug-19 14:16:22

Working Sunday and Monday, so bit of a non event for me, sadly.

Juno56 Sat 24-Aug-19 14:33:45

I'm on a day trip to Barry Island.

BlueSapphire Sat 24-Aug-19 15:03:32

Clearing the garage and reading today and tomorrow. Monday I'm going to see the new Quentin Tarantino film 'Once upon a time in Hollywood '.

Sara65 Sat 24-Aug-19 15:11:31

Off to the seaside tomorrow, avoiding major roads. Probably mad, but may not get another opportunity this year.

SueDonim Sat 24-Aug-19 15:30:58

Collecting a dd from uni today then we're setting off at crack of dawn tomorrow to take her to the airport for her flight to the US to do her medical elective. She doesn't have time to go by boat.

janeainsworth Sat 24-Aug-19 15:38:29

24- mile bike ride in the Northumberland lanes to Capheaton Tea rooms for lunch & home again.
Now trying to get out of the armchair into which I’ve slumped.
Tomorrow evening going to an evening of Americana at the Tyne Bank Brewery.
Monday friends coming round for a meal in the evening.
Just enjoying the lovely weather sunshine

lemongrove Sat 24-Aug-19 15:48:11

Just hosted a lunch for the family here in the garden.Everyone just gone now, so am leaving all the debris for later and am on ipad with a glass of chilled white to hand.

phoenix Sat 24-Aug-19 16:02:48

Good for me to have a day off work, (it's been getting me down a bit lately sad) and also to have Mr P home for an extra day.

However, as he's self employed, that's a days pay lost.

Purpledaffodil Sat 24-Aug-19 16:12:56

29 degrees here. Can’t possibly be an August bank holiday? Cheeky glass of chilled rosé and pork fillet marinading for BBQ tonight. Plus ditto lamb leg for family lunch of Kleftiko tomorrow. Monday will be left overs and tranquillity. Love this weather.

paddyann Sat 24-Aug-19 16:14:03

not a bank holiday here ,next long weekend is end of September

Purpledaffodil Sat 24-Aug-19 16:15:08

Just realised how smug that sounded. Sorry Phoenixand anyone else feeling down today.flowers

Sara65 Sat 24-Aug-19 16:29:38

Purpledaffodil

It’s lovely to hear someone loving life so much, have a great weekend

gillybob Sat 24-Aug-19 17:04:20

Did a bit food shopping this morning as my sister has invited herself for supper (she obviously didn’t get a better offer) and my dad has decided he might as well come too.
I don’t mind doing the picking up but I hope they don’t expect to be taken home again.

This is the last B/H for us until C now paddyann.

The weather is pleasant ( better than it has been) but not marvellous , we are so close to the sea we get the wind straight off the North Sea .

gillybob Sat 24-Aug-19 17:07:16

Bloomin’ heck 24 mile JaneA you must be very fit . shock

I really wish I could ride a bike . When I win the lottery I’m going to buy an electric bike then can switch over to go uphill . smile

janeainsworth Sat 24-Aug-19 17:26:28

That’s cheating Gilly grin
If it’s any consolation I’m totally kn***ered
and everything aches. The worst bit though is other cyclists overtaking us at high speedgrin