Gransnet forums

Chat

HMRC

(80 Posts)
Lizzies Sat 14-Sep-19 12:27:55

This could be my last post as I might be arrested at any moment. I just received an automated call that said that there was a fraud investigation into me and if I didn’t press 1 to speak to an officer at HMRC a warrant would be issued for my arrest. I did not press 1.

kittylester Sat 14-Sep-19 12:30:26

We can share a cell as I got one about an hour ago!

GagaJo Sat 14-Sep-19 12:30:57

Don't get me started on HMRC!!! I've had 5 tax codes so far this year. They may well be the real deal (unlike your contact Lizzies) but they're just as dodgy and inept.

sunseeker Sat 14-Sep-19 12:34:52

I don't think there are enough jail cells to hold all the people who have these "warrants" against them

vena11 Sat 14-Sep-19 12:47:39

Its a scam

sunseeker Sat 14-Sep-19 12:50:20

Yes venall we know

vena11 Sat 14-Sep-19 12:53:27

oopps sorry

grannyqueenie Sat 14-Sep-19 13:00:48

Tell us what prison you end up in, we’ll all turn up and protest outside... Save the Gransnet 1... or possibly 2 if kitty ends up in the same one!

gillybob Sat 14-Sep-19 13:15:31

Me too a horrible message left on my voicemail yesterday insisting I call a number and pay an overdue bill before the bailiffs come to my door . I didn’t ring the number back ( tempting as it was) for fear of it being a premium rate number . I have reported it to HMRC .

MissAdventure Sat 14-Sep-19 13:20:38

I had one last week; a foreign man trying to disguise his accent left a threatening message telling me I was to be arrested immediately.

They make me sick, really sick!

Smileless2012 Sat 14-Sep-19 13:20:50

It's a scam Lizzies, we had one a few months ago regarding our business. You were right to ignore it.

Mr. S. reported our call and there'd been literally 100's of reported incidents.

If there were some question of fraud or an overdue bill, you'd be contacted initially by letter.

There are a lot of scam emails out there too using the same format so don't worry, just be on your guard.

Smileless2012 Sat 14-Sep-19 13:24:27

Just remembered a few months ago we had a call presumably from BT telling us our direct debit had failed to go through and if we didn't pay there and then, our line would be cut off.

Mr. S. is so polite bless him and I was in the background saying 'it's a scam; hang up'. The caller could hear me and asked him 'is that your wife? I'll come round there and sort her out'. Mr. S. laughed and said 'clearly you've never met my wife' and then hung upgrin.

janeainsworth Sat 14-Sep-19 13:41:01

Gilly If you’re doubtful about a number, this is a useful site www.whocalledme.com

Fiachna50 Sat 14-Sep-19 16:28:53

I do not answer the house phone. If they do not leave a message on the answering machine I do not call anyone back. Most folk who know me text or call my mobile. The answering machine is the best thing we ever got. There has been a real reduction in nuisance calls. I think the scammers have just gave up.

morethan2 Sat 14-Sep-19 16:38:19

Send me your prison address and I’ll bake a cake with a hidden file for your escape (ps don’t eat the cake I haven’t baked one for twenty years it’ll probably kill you) wink

Moocow Sat 14-Sep-19 16:50:23

It really is infuriating that the telecommunications organisations say they cannot stop such abuse of the system. With all the clever technology and we have to resort to answering machines to check legitimate calls. It's like being locked in scared to open emails and answer the phone. When is any government going to get onto this problem and not just be wishy washy about this?

Sorry but I really fear for some people getting such calls.

I still had a smile as I read your post lizzies and the responses.

janeainsworth Sat 14-Sep-19 17:10:21

Moocow One of the best nuisance calls I had was one from BT, trying to sell me a device that would prevent........nuisance calls ?

gillybob Sat 14-Sep-19 17:26:11

Thank you for that JaneA my DH has just gone on the “whocalledme” website and entered the number
(01615191919) don’t anyone dare ring it! And it confirms word for word the messages that have been left on my voicemails . Horrible bl**dy people, but very scary for those who might just fall for it ! angry

Moocow Sat 14-Sep-19 17:49:50

I need a shocked face emoji janeainsworth!

annodomini Sat 14-Sep-19 19:15:43

shock, Moocow

GabriellaG54 Sat 14-Sep-19 19:27:03

These calls are a fact of life now and easily recognisable due to the plethora of warnings on social media, in the news and on tv.
No shock value any more.
If you're daft enough to believe that reputable companies would threaten you with court and prison via a phone call, unless you transfer money or click on a link to confirm your details...then you deserve to be scammed.
We've been warned and updated about scams for decades, yet people still haven't learned.

MissAdventure Sat 14-Sep-19 19:41:04

There are plenty of people vulnerable to these kind of things, and as one is discovered, the scammers move on to another.

I read the other day about a very sophisticated scam, for people about to be migrated onto universal credit (which is virtually everyone on benefits)

They contact people to inform them that they will be eligible for the grant, to tide them over whilst the migration goes through. (All true)

They ask them to download an app (which was on the android and Apple app stores, and looked totally legitimate)

When the people have filled in their details, they are told they can click the link on the form in order to apply for the grant..

Magrithea Sun 15-Sep-19 09:28:54

SCAM!!!!!

Beckett Sun 15-Sep-19 09:29:13

GabriellaG54 I think that is a bit harsh. Not everyone is on social media and may not have family to warn them. No-one deserves to be scammed

Rosina Sun 15-Sep-19 09:32:53

I've had three of those calls over the last year, and the recorded warning message, inviting me to press 1 to speak to someone who can help me, ends with a firm and loud: 'This message is for YOU'. I burst out laughing at this point; a warrant out for my arrest, and the caller doesn't even know my name? I would have loved to have pressed the button and had a chat with the lying crook at the other end, but unfortunately, like clicking on rogue emails, you can never be sure if you are confirming your number/email address as belonging to someone who might be hooked in.