Gransnet forums

Chat

Scarves, what is it about them..?

(141 Posts)
Marydoll Mon 16-Sep-19 17:37:52

In the light of the many serious threads on GN at the moment, I thought I would post something light hearted and vacuus.

I decided to tidy out the hall cupboard today. In it was a huge curver box, overflowing with scarves of every colour, pattern, weight etc. I'm too embarrassed to say how many. blush
I even bought four in Rome last week, the fact that they were only 2 Euros each, may have influenced me. grin
They were a bargain, of surprisingly good quality, but I didn't really need them. Basically they seduced me with their vibrant colours! smile

Does anyone else share this obsession? I know Nan Kate does, as she has previously mentioned it!

Nico97 Mon 16-Sep-19 17:46:08

I'm as bad Marydoll - I currently have two double underbed drawers full of scarves. I never seem to wear them either hmm shock grin

MawB Mon 16-Sep-19 17:49:10

I think they work like a lipstick- a wardrobe boost for relatively little cost.
I just wish I could occasionally throw them away!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Sep-19 17:50:01

Yep me also, scarves of varying weights, pashminas, shaped wraps even some circular ones that you pull over your head and look like a polo neck!!!

crazyH Mon 16-Sep-19 17:57:53

Even my little 4 year old grandson said the other day "Nan, it's not cold and you're wearing a scarf" - I love my scarves!

NotAGran55 Mon 16-Sep-19 17:59:59

I’ve got lots of scarves ?and they live in their own storage unit of 4 drawers. I love them all especially the winter cashmere and Mulberry ones.

Chewbacca Mon 16-Sep-19 18:12:55

Velvet, silk, cotton, chiffon, wool, cashmere, narrow, double width, cheap and cheerful and limited edition designer scarves. I've got them all! I. could part with one or two but I know I'd need it immediately it had gone! Love my scarf collection.
scarves,

Buffybee Mon 16-Sep-19 18:27:08

My gorgeous best friend, who lived in Spain, knew how to wear a scarf and even with a simple T shirt and jeans would have a scarf draped stylishly.
I was devastated when she died of secondary breast cancer and after the funeral her Son asked if there was anything of hers I wanted, I asked if I could possibly have her scarves.
I won't wash them and even now, when I wear one, I get a slight waft of Rive Gauche.

Lona Mon 16-Sep-19 18:31:26

I love scarves! I do get rid of some occassionally but never the silk ones, they're so warm and light and colourful.

Lona Mon 16-Sep-19 18:32:41

I didn't spell occasionally, it was predictive rubbish grin

EllanVannin Mon 16-Sep-19 18:38:12

Remember the vintage ones which were chiffon/nylon with a gold thread running through ? I must have had one of every colour going----which were my late SiL's. Well they all " vanished " when I moved house and I often think about them and miss them too as they matched everything I had to wear.

nanaK54 Mon 16-Sep-19 18:42:27

I love a scarf smile

Marydoll Mon 16-Sep-19 18:51:55

...and don't get me started on my bead/necklace collection, in every colour to match every outfit! grin

I have been known to cobble together a necklace at the last moment, when I had nothing to match my outfit.
(I used to do a lot of jewellery making, until my RA put paid to that sad )

Do you think I need therapy? wink

NanKate Mon 16-Sep-19 18:54:28

You’re so right Mary I have far more than I need.

My latest acquisition I feel quite embarrassed about as I saw this multi coloured scarf online that you put over your head and it hangs like a necklace. I must have been mad to spend £36.00 on it. It does look good but in reality it’s just a long piece of brightly coloured good quality material (not silk) and sewn up into this halter shape.

I promise I am going to be good in future ?

Marydoll Mon 16-Sep-19 18:55:53

You know you're not! grin

Marydoll Mon 16-Sep-19 18:57:03

I could buy 18 for that amount in Rome Kate!! ?

gillybob Mon 16-Sep-19 18:57:09

I can’t do scarves although I love them on other people . I never know quite what to do with them other than wrapping them round your neck to keep you warm in the winter . Even then I feel a bit muffled up .

NanKate Mon 16-Sep-19 18:58:07

Me too Mary I have over 60 maybe 70 or more necklaces and pendants. Perhaps we could start a shop but on the other hand I couldn’t bear to give them away or sell them.

shysal Mon 16-Sep-19 19:02:20

I once saw a woman wearing an almost identical outfit to mine - navy/white Breton with jeans - but she looked so much smarter with the addition of a narrow toning scarf. I therefore went onto Ebay and bought some silk ones to match most of my tops. I now have two whirly tie racks full of them in the wardrobe. I daren't count them!
The majority have never been worn, but I stick to about 6 which I wear a lot. I don't like large ones that will dangle in the washing up or my dinner, so all are narrow neckerchief style.
Note to self - look out the British Legion poppy one for 11/11.
Enjoy your new ones Marydoll, in my opinion you can't ever have enough.

Marydoll Mon 16-Sep-19 19:05:15

Gilly, if you go on Pinterest there are lots of ideas on how to tie a scarf.

valerieanne216 Mon 16-Sep-19 19:06:03

Every fabric, every type, every colour have been collecting
for the last 50 years, never throw any away, they make an
outfit. love my scarves.

NanKate Mon 16-Sep-19 19:06:58

Shysal I got a lovely poppy scarf in our local hospice shop which I wear at Remembrance plus a bought poppy. ? I bet Mary has too ?

gillybob Mon 16-Sep-19 19:07:02

Oh yes thank you , that’s what I need Marydoll , tips on how to tie a scarf to suit different outfits and occasions . I haven’t got a clue .

Marydoll Mon 16-Sep-19 19:11:31

Gilly, I know you have enought to contend with at present, without me wittering on about scarf tying. Sorry!

Cherrytree59 Mon 16-Sep-19 19:14:31

Marydoll How could you not buy a few lovely Italian scarves, everytime you wear one you will be reminded of your holiday.sunshine

I also have quite a collection of scarvessmile.
My hoard started a few years ago, I needed to cover a rather ugly large scar on my neck after an operation.

In summer I wear light weight .
Come the colder weather I will wear my longer scarves.

I quite like an infinity scarf when I dont want the drape of a scarf.

I have several that have magnetic thingy on each end which makes for easy styling.
(Scarflace By Moira C)

I wear dark colours to hide my tum, a nice bright scarf imho helps to brighten my face and depending on the occasion can smarten up an outfit

I could go on....

How do other GNers (especially
those with a collection) store their lovely scarves?

Most of mine are on scarf hangers or hang from shower curtain hooks on wooden hangers.

I need another solution as the scarves are encroaching wardrobe space.