Gransnet forums

Chat

Blurred Vision

(17 Posts)
Artdecogran Fri 20-Sep-19 14:30:41

Why do producers of tv programmes and films keep blurring the scenes? It seems to be in everything and is really really annoying. It sends my eyes doolally and by the time they put it in normal vision I’ve looked away and miss part of the plot. Does anyone have the same problem or is it just my old eyes.

stella1949 Fri 20-Sep-19 17:06:33

It might be best to get an eye checkup OP. I don't recall seeing any blurred scenes in TV or at the movies. Our eyes can deteriorate very rapidly - I went from having 20/20 vision to needing glasses all the time, in the space of one year. So yes I'd advise a trip to the optometrist.

M0nica Fri 20-Sep-19 17:37:31

I agree with stella, there are a range of eye problems that can beset us as we get older and the sooner they are diagnosed and treated the better.

I have had cataracts in both eyes. A quick painless surgical procedure replaced them with prescription lens that mean that after peering at the world through bottle glass specs for over 50 years, I now only need glasses for driving.

Some eye problems are no problem if caught quickly and early, but can lead to permanently impaired eyesight if left untreated for too long.

So if I was you I would make an appointment with an optician tomorrow and get your eyes checked and possibly treated.

Daisymae Fri 20-Sep-19 17:39:11

Yes, think that you need a visit to the opticians. Could be cateracts, which can make things look blurred, or just a new prescription.

BlueBelle Fri 20-Sep-19 17:53:02

I ve never noticed any blurring in tv shows either so I do think it’s your eyes artdeco

glammanana Fri 20-Sep-19 17:55:41

Sounds very much like cateracts to me well worth going for an eye test.
I have had both my eyes done since June and what a difference it has made I no longer need distance glasses just a pair for reading the procedure was painless and so easy so go and get checked out.

Artdecogran Fri 20-Sep-19 18:20:51

Thanks for the replies and advice given. However, my eyesight has been recently tested and apart from magnifying glasses of 1.5 I don’t have any other problems. Other people have seen the screen effects too and they are in their thirties. The effects are usually when going into a new scene or someone is walking into shot. Remember top of the pops when they started using computers and we had all sorts of mad squares and spinning screens.

Alima Fri 20-Sep-19 19:22:52

I have noticed that actors in the background not in the current conversation (for example) are blurred out nowadays. I put it down to everything being dumbed down, they do that so we don’t get distracted. Doh, they just play havoc with your vision and then mumble their lines. How we have a clue what’s going on I don’t know. If the blurring gets too bad I try to re focus or just look away. Generally helps. You aren’t alone Artdecogran!

Lazigirl Fri 20-Sep-19 20:42:47

I haven't noticed the blurring, just scenes in almost total darkness, totally infuriating.

Fiachna50 Sat 21-Sep-19 00:20:49

Its more the mumbling and volume I have issues with, then you turn the TV up and the adverts deafen you. I can watch old black and white programmes with no subtitles and hear perfectly. Todays actors have awful diction and I watch everything with subtitles, the background music during speech drives me nuts. What makes them think you can hear people talking with background music thats so loud, it drowns the speech out?

BlueBelle Sat 21-Sep-19 04:01:49

laziegirl I m with you how come most dramas haven’t yet caught on to the electric light bulb

artdeco I don’t understand your reason for asking if your friends and optician have reassured you or is it just my old eyes Why ask us if it’s your eyes if you know it isn’t seems a strange thing to do

I certainly haven’t noticed any blurring on the tv shows or dramas and I watch most

maytime2 Sat 21-Sep-19 14:18:37

Artdecogran
I don't want to be a "Job's comforter" but blurred vision can be a symptom of a detached retina. This could have happened after your recent eye test.

My son had blurred vision many years ago and made an appointment to see the optician and was given an appointment for a fortnight later. When he saw the optician he was found to have a detached retina and had to have an emergency operation the same day. If he had been seen immediately he might have had a better outcome. He now has tunnel vision in that eye. I tell everyone to have blurred vision checked out IMMEDIATELY

Artdecogran Sat 21-Sep-19 17:15:58

Thanks again for your response. However, I seem to have misinformed you with my choice of words for the title of my post. My vision is not blurred. I have no problems seeing apart from when the tv producers do their arty farty shots whilst panning across the scenes. Obviously it is something that others aren’t aware of so I will not comment further.

Gotthattshirt Sat 21-Sep-19 22:03:34

If you’re happy that your vision is fine are you sure your TV is working properly and the screen resolution is ok.

Tangerine Sat 21-Sep-19 22:16:35

I do notice sometimes that figures in the background are sometimes deliberately blurred.

However, it doesn't happen sufficiently to worry me.

SueH49 Sun 22-Sep-19 06:35:46

Artdecogran, I too have noticed this. The one that comes to mind at the moment is recent episode of Escape to the Country that I watched. The prospective purchasers were blurred out while the focus was on something totally irrelevant in the foreground.
I find this really annoying along with the volume "background" music is played at.

BradfordLass72 Sun 22-Sep-19 12:38:26

My vision is blurred anway so that aspect makes no difference.

What I find just a wee bit irritating is how fast everything seems to go, cutting from one scene to another with half a second her e to half a second there over and over again.

You simply cannot see what's going on.
I can't see the point of making a film lie that