Gransnet forums

Chat

To(i)let or not to (i) let, that is the question.

(270 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Sun 17-Nov-19 13:49:49

Tomorrow I am having a new boiler installed.
When the company director (that's who I was told to expect) called last week to inspect and quote, he asked to use the loo.
I have just the one bathroom and dislike workmen using it but said yes anyway.
He was in there for a long peeeee and neither flushed nor used the basin and hand towel.
Tomorrow I'll give them lunch money (as I would anyway) and ask the men to use the hotel or a cafe in town which is a short walk away.
I don't like the idea of them not washing hands and touching countertops, handles and visible kitchen equipment but they tend to put tools and work stuff on the floor then on kitchen work surfaces even though the boiler is in a small utility room.
Do those of you with just one loo, mind workmen or others not in your family or friends circle, using those facilities?

timetogo2016 Sun 17-Nov-19 13:58:04

I don`t mind workmen using the loo but I would ask them if they didn`t flush / wash to do so.
And leave tools etc in utility room.
ERRRRM why would you give them lunch money?.

MawB Sun 17-Nov-19 13:59:24

One of the very good reasons for having a cloakroom (even in a flat) so that the situation dies not arise.
But I am puzzled by the provision of “lunch money” - whenever I have had workmen in they either seem to bring sandwiches which they eat outside on the terrace in summer or in their van or sometimes in the garage in winter, or do without so that they can finish earlier. Of course I provide regular infusions of tea/coffee, water or whatever.
If I only had one loo I suppose I would just have to not be squeamish about it (but change the hand towels and soap as well as giving the loo a thorough going over)

FlexibleFriend Sun 17-Nov-19 14:01:30

Well have to toilets but can't say I LIKE workmen using the facilities but accept it as needs must. I just thoroughly clean up after they have left. I have found it extremely stressful when having to accommodate workmen for a month or more, but as I want the work done I accept all the extra cleaning involved. I had a new boiler and pump etc fitted a year ago and thankfully that only took a couple of hours.

NanaandGrampy Sun 17-Nov-19 14:05:49

No I don’t mind at all! I live in the middle of no where and the alternative is peeing behind a bush!

I don’t mind anyone using my facilities, it’s common decency in my opinion. I’d mention non flushing but I clean regularly enough that I’m not in the least bit concerned about germs.

As for lunch money that’s almost insulting - I’m sorry but I’ve never ever heard of that. We feed our workmen and we’ve had plenty in the last 2 years. They’re just people not walking plague carriers .

Pudding123 Sun 17-Nov-19 14:09:18

I wouldn't mind at all,why would I ?What would the alternative be ...

Calendargirl Sun 17-Nov-19 14:09:18

Why on EARTH would he have not flushed the loo? Disgusting.
We only have one bathroom, loo etc.
It needs updating, we want to take the bath out and have a walk-in shower/wet room installed, but the thought of workmen in my house all day, plus me wanting to use the loo..... so just keep putting it off.
DH doesn’t see any problem, think men are not so bothered about such details.

MawB Sun 17-Nov-19 14:10:19

Rereading OP’s post, of course it was not the workmen whose toilet manners were so at fault, but the company director !
The men themselves may be the perfect houseguests. My mother used to have a wonderful electrician (with chiselled matinee idol looks too!) who would insist on hoovering up after he had done any work, and Mum admitted he usually left things cleaner than he found them blush

Calendargirl Sun 17-Nov-19 14:13:54

Meant to say it’s not so much workmen in the house as me having to use the loo when they are working in the bathroom.
“Excuse me, just want to use the loo, would you mind vacating the bathroom for a couple of minutes please? Sorry to be a pain!”

???

GabriellaG54 Sun 17-Nov-19 14:16:26

I usually give a packet of sandwiches and crisps plus water to Yodel or Hermes drivers so would give lunch money to other workmen who are here for more than a few hours.
They don't expect it but if they're here all day I don't expect them to work through their lunch time.

Calendargirl Sun 17-Nov-19 14:21:07

I wouldn’t expect them to work through their lunch time , no, would offer tea or coffee, but would expect them to bring their own sandwiches.

MawB Sun 17-Nov-19 14:25:34

GabriellaG how long do your Yodel or Hermes couriers spend at your house?
My Hermes man who is a sweetie hands whatever over on the doorstep and is halfway down the drive almost before I have shut the door.
These drivers are on a tight time schedule and the charming Mr Singh from DPD who delivers Hattie’s dog food actually warned me that from now until the new year, he will knock or ring “and run” leaving the box on the mat as he has so many deliveries to get through.

Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 14:33:56

That's just odd Gabriella, handing sarnies and crisps to delivery men. I don't feed workmen. They might get a rich tea with their cuppa, but that's their lot.

We have two loos. I always make sure they use the one I don't. Never had a non-flusher though.

cornergran Sun 17-Nov-19 14:34:53

Yes, we allow in fact sometimes offer the use of the bathroom to anyone working here. Most people have left it clean and tidy, the odd one hasn’t but truly a minority. I suspect and hope the MD’s behaviour was far from typical Gabriella. Your post made me smile calendargirl. Our bathroom fitter took the toilet out on arrival in the morning, placed it centrally on the front lawn where it stayed until the end of the day. No, we didn’t use it there grin. Neighbours offered but the nearest supermarket became the favourite comfort stop. I suspect plumbers are more used to these comfort issues than we are and turn not a hair.

Chewbacca Sun 17-Nov-19 14:35:46

Very timely subject Gabriella because I've just had my whole bathroom ripped out and completely reinstalled and so I've had 2 weeks with various plumbers, tilers and electricians in the house. For the first few days there wasn't a loo for them to pee in or me, for that matter and I've no idea what they used as an alternative I used a bucket in the shed. Once the loo was positioned temporarily into place, I expect they used that but there wasn't a wash basin for them to use to be fair. Once the basics were fully installed, I had no problem with them using them but, there was at least one occasion when an unflushed loo was left for me to discover at the end of their working day ?.

I provided endless cups of tea/coffee and biscuits throughout the day (probably not a good idea in view of their being no loo) and when I made a lunchtime sandwich, I offered to make one for them too. Only once was my offer taken up though. I've no problem with any of this because the men who worked in my house for 2 weeks worked hard and did a good job and I'd like to think that I'd treated them fairly.

Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 14:39:38

Oh God! Can't you tell she's back. gringringrin

Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 14:40:15

(Sorry Gabriella)

Chewbacca Sun 17-Nov-19 14:41:14

Sorry? What do you mean Gonegirl? hmm

Magpie1959 Sun 17-Nov-19 14:46:12

When our extension was being built we moved out to out family caravan to escape the dust (and chaos).
A while after the builders had left there was a terrible smell in our garage which we couldn't trace. Eventually I found that someone had been using my watering can to pee in then hidden it in a store cupboard - it was full to the brim so not just one visit! I just don't understand why they would need to do that, they had constant access to the three toilets.

Also, they used and smashed all my favourite china mugs which were hidden away but ignored the mugs I'd left out for them. So they'd obviously had a good root around too.

Chewbacca Sun 17-Nov-19 14:48:39

Good grief Magpie you were very unlucky with the workmen in your house. I'm thanking my lucky stars I only had one unflushed loo!

NanaandGrampy Sun 17-Nov-19 14:49:07

My daughter works as a courier and when I shared that you give them sandwiches , crisps and a bottle of water she nearly fell off her chair * Gabriella* !! She has approximately 3 minutes to park , get to the door , ring, knock, count to 10, write card and leave !

She said in all her years doing the job she’s been offered water twice ( during last years hot summer and the people were 2 of her regulars) . She’s thinking of changing rounds to your area lol

polyester57 Sun 17-Nov-19 14:51:20

This reminded me of the novel The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

trisher Sun 17-Nov-19 14:52:24

Never occurred to me not to let workmen use my loo after all they have to go somewhere. I only provide tea and biscuits not lunches. The last plumber I had liked to start work at 7am anyway and work through till 3ish so he could get home before the rush hour, never took a lunch break. I do think if he really was the company director I would be inclined to mention to the workmen quite casually if they asked to use the loo. "Well I never mind but please could you not do what so and so did and make sure you flush afterwards" I bet it would get round the office! I also might put them an old towel out so if they were worried about their hands being a bit grubby I could tell them it didn't matter.
I do wonder do you let visitors use your loo?

Mapleleaf Sun 17-Nov-19 15:05:25

I provide tea/coffee to any workmen who are going to be here some time, but I never provide lunch. (They tend to have their own, anyway, plus what about possible allergies - you have to be so careful nowadays).
I let them use the loo if they need it, but it gets a good clean along with the sink and taps after they have gone.

SueDonim Sun 17-Nov-19 15:13:49

Nowadays workmen don't seem to accept cups of tea/coffee & biscuits like they used to. I've given up offering now. Regarding the loo, if nature calls, what's the alternative? Not everyone's habits will be to our liking but there's unlikely to be anything that some disinfectant and an old cleaning cloth won't solve.

In this area, when anyone is having substantial work done, the company proves a portaloo. Our neighbours had one in pride of place in their front garden when they had a new kitchen fitted. grin