Gransnet forums

Chat

Wrinkles. How do you cope?

(121 Posts)
Annecan Wed 04-Dec-19 10:26:08

Having always been reasonably young looking, this last year has taken a toll, and I look old and wrinkled (I’m 68). It’s as though my face is caving in!
Worst still this Makes me feel old.
What to do? How to cope? Any suggestions

Davida1968 Wed 04-Dec-19 10:30:28

Grow a fringe! (This is a serious suggestion and works well for me, in covering the forehead wrinkles. No botox needed!)

HootyMcOwlface Wed 04-Dec-19 10:33:12

Don’t know, but was thinking practically identical thoughts this morning! I have just noticed two vertical deep frown lines on my forehead (between my eyebrows) - where did they come from?! And I have jowls forming! What the ...... ! How can I stop them?

Elegran Wed 04-Dec-19 10:45:18

Join the club! We've all got 'em, and we didn't want them, but such is life!

Don't try covering them up with heavy make-up - it'll just settle in the grooves and make them seem deeper than ever. An expert might be able to apply enough to raise the surface level to a smooth even surface and then paint a face on top, but unless you are an elderly actress going on stage to play a young ingenue opposite a virile heartthrob, it isn't worth the bother. I assume your chances of being asked to do this are low?

Concentrate on taking attention away from the wrinkles. Smile a lot so that the lines are not gloomy depressive ones. Get a flattering hairstyle. Wear a nice perfume (not too cloying) Buy some new clothes, discover which colours improve how your skin looks and which emphasise the corrugated effect.

Above all don't give in and ACT old If you stay lively and interested, people don't notice whether you look 28, 48, 68 or 88. You have another quarter century to go before the average life expectancy is reached - you'll get even more wrinkles by then. Make the most of only having a few now.

Liz46 Wed 04-Dec-19 11:50:56

Don't look in the mirror with your glasses on! I'm 73 and have been quite ill so can sympathise.

Baggs Wed 04-Dec-19 11:52:07

Make friends with them.

Pantglas2 Wed 04-Dec-19 14:37:05

You only have to look at other people’s wrinkles if you stay away from mirrors!

mumofmadboys Wed 04-Dec-19 14:41:49

Call them laughter lines and get on with life!

Yehbutnobut Wed 04-Dec-19 15:36:15

Smile

ayse Wed 04-Dec-19 15:39:31

Not wear glasses when looking in the mirror, unless I have to

NfkDumpling Wed 04-Dec-19 15:40:55

All the above, plus get a dim pink light for above your mirror for when you do need to look in it.

My reflection turned into my mother's about five years ago (jowls, treble chin, etc), so I now only look in the mirror to sort out those long hairs that sometimes mysteriously appear overnight.

EllanVannin Wed 04-Dec-19 16:30:32

Who cares ? It's a map of your life.

Urmstongran Wed 04-Dec-19 16:31:29

Ah it’s good to have wrinkles! Embrace them and be grateful - not everyone lives long enough to have ‘em.

That’s my philosophy anyway!

EllanVannin Wed 04-Dec-19 16:34:06

If you have good eyes make a feature of them then nobody will notice your wrinkles.

janeainsworth Wed 04-Dec-19 17:23:44

www.whsmith.co.uk/products/eva-frasers-facial-workout-look-fifteen-years-younger-with-this-easy-d/eva-fraser/paperback/9781405933087.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAz53vBRCpARIsAPPsz8U630ZqYqUlp5Dv40WcgKKuy0WSrz9ApaPUMMl0-mbZQPxajRhGKswaArp3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You could try this OP.
It works on the idea that if you can develop the muscles in your arms & legs & stomach & stop them from wasting away, you can do the same for your facial muscles.

I also like Boots No7 skin care products, after a free trial from Gransnet some years ago.

kittylester Wed 04-Dec-19 17:43:06

I was quite young looking for my age but the wrinkles are arriving now and I agree with Ellen.

jura2 Wed 04-Dec-19 17:46:59

Only way to go - surely.

Newquay Wed 04-Dec-19 18:39:31

Keep smiling and raise your eyebrows-that’s what we’re told to do in my choirs, although that’s to keep us in tune but it helps to stop us looking miserable.

M0nica Wed 04-Dec-19 18:40:35

It is what you are not what you look that matters as you get older. Although I have been doing Eve Fraser's facial exercisises off and on for about 25 years, whether I now look 15 years younger than I would have without them, I have no idea. I do also use a lot of moisterised and massaging it into my skin for a couple of minutes every day.

My aim is not to look younger, you can't, but rather look the best I can for my age.

jacq10 Wed 04-Dec-19 18:43:10

I can live with my "laughter lines" but not the vertical ones!! I don't seem to see them on anybody else but they are so obvious on the upper part of my face. I also have a fringe now but it doesn't quite cover the verticle lines as they have crept down to my eyebrows!

craftyone Wed 04-Dec-19 18:46:04

I read something once. Everyone earns the face they end up with. Nothing wrong with character and laughter lines but I can see how for some, it is all a shock, getting old and no turning the clock back. Secret is to enjoy being in your own skin

BlueSky Wed 04-Dec-19 18:55:25

Weird that you should start this thread. I've always been reasonably young looking but this year having reached the big 70 I noticed some deep wrinkles on one side of my face only! At first I thought they were just marks where I'd slept but they were there to stay, I've become conscious of them and they do make me feel old!

crazyH Wed 04-Dec-19 19:04:29

Ellan's advice to feel young and act young, is the best . Smile and laugh. I have no frown lines, so people tell me. It also helps, if you dress young...I don't mean mini skirts etc
But guess what I am developing nasolabial folds (nose to mouth) due to smiling too much ....can't win ?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 04-Dec-19 19:49:36

Your face is the life you have lived - be proud of it tchgrin

Pudding123 Wed 04-Dec-19 20:03:57

I have thought the same thing this year the wrinkles are not too bad yet but I have age spots which I have to conceal but I have lost 2 good friends in the past year so whenever I feel a bit fed up I tell myself off and think of my friends and wish they could be here and not be so damn vain.