Gransnet forums

Chat

Procrastination

(74 Posts)
Chewbacca Thu 05-Dec-19 23:09:12

On another thread, I posted that I've been putting off refilling the holes in my kitchen walls, where the electrician moved the power point sockets. It's been two weeks now. I see them, all 5 of them (doubles), and every day I tell myself that I'll do it. And then I find something more riveting to do like mess about on here. I know I will get around to doing it at some point, but it's as though I have to take myself by surprise! If I plan it, I don't do it.

What jobs have you been putting off and for how long? Make me feel better! grin

Tangerine Thu 05-Dec-19 23:10:43

Sweeping up the Autumn leaves. I could have done it about a week ago. With any luck, the wind will blow them in another direction.

Chewbacca Thu 05-Dec-19 23:12:08

grin So long as it's not in my direction, I'm happy with that Tangerine!

Grammaretto Thu 05-Dec-19 23:14:33

How long? 2 weeks, that's nothing.
The trouble i find is that you learn to live with the unfinished state and stop noticing it. The answer is to give yourself a deadline. Invite people round and make yourself do the job before then or better still get someone else to do it grin

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 23:16:35

I quite like filling in those holes in the plaster.
I'll swap you for sewing up my knitting, putting up Christmas decorations, writing letters to put in Christmas cards.

How many holes did you say there are? grin
Perhaps it's not a fair swap hmm

BlueBelle Thu 05-Dec-19 23:18:55

The cord on my bathroom light broke
The other day I noticed on fb a post ‘from the past’ popped up saying I must get my bathroom light fixed it was from 3 years ago ...strange how easily we can adapt to not noticing something you would think we would badly miss ?

Chewbacca Thu 05-Dec-19 23:22:15

Ah, the sewing up the knitting Callistemon..... I forgot to mention that one. My God's jumper has been ready for sewing up since she went back to school after October half term. Still not done it. She's given up asking me about it now.

Chewbacca Thu 05-Dec-19 23:22:45

GD, not God!

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 23:27:02

I have one for DGD2 sitting in my knitting bag next to me for about 12 months now.

Not volunteering then, Chewbacca?
I'll fill all the holes and any others I find

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 23:28:28

I had the whole place rewired (a year ago) and so far I've 'made good' the sockets and switches in three of the bedrooms, the extension, hall and landing.

I have three rooms left to do. I've been redecorating instead - but very, very slowly. I'm rarely in a patient enough mood to do things (except walking the dog, which I love).

Sometimes, I just gather all the gear needed (tools, materials, vacuum, extension lead, work light, radio etc.) in the place to start work. The next day, I'm more likely to actually begin. I have two or three projects on the go, so that when I really can't face going back to one, I might do another!

Obviously, progress is painfully slow!

Chewbacca Thu 05-Dec-19 23:30:34

How are you at filling in the holes in the jumper I've knitted for GD? I struggle with holes.

crazyH Thu 05-Dec-19 23:31:25

Gosh ...I'm amazed at your d.i.y. abilities !!!!!!!

Rufus2 Thu 05-Dec-19 23:32:20

Victoria and now W.Australia have legalised "Voluntary Assisted Dying" (euthanasia). The "patient" must be cognisant enough to make the final decision; All things being equal, I think that's one decision I can really procrastinate over. hmm

Doodle Thu 05-Dec-19 23:32:34

I was going to post on this thread ...but in the end I couldn’t be bothered tchgrin

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 23:54:41

Rufus2, does 'assisted dying' refer to my DIY skills, I wonder?

Today, I'm happy, as I put up the shoe cupboard, coat hooks and mirror in the hall. I do enjoy hammer drilling the walls, really I do!

Chewbacca Thu 05-Dec-19 23:57:00

Hetty I take my hat off to you; that's a stirling job and you've put me shame.
How are you with polyfilla?

Hetty58 Fri 06-Dec-19 00:06:47

I'm a perfectionist with only basic skills. It involves a lot of swearing and disappointment.

My socket surrounds were filled with cement (having turned off the power) up to a centimetre from the surface, then filler later, then sanded down.

Next. I patched the lining paper (cutting through the patch plus old edge at the same time, then pasted on) followed by painting - and eventually replaced the switch/socket plate.

I have to use a little level to make sure that they're completely/exactly horizontal. I drive myself mad!

Rufus2 Fri 06-Dec-19 05:58:13

I do enjoy hammer drilling the walls, really I do!
I'll bet the neighbours enjoy it even more! Just imagine, "The Hetty58 Percussion Ensemble now playing close by"; They'd probably be happy to assist with your "assisted dying" wishes! grin

Ginny42 Fri 06-Dec-19 06:39:25

Oh Hetty you're amazing. I'm a perfectionist too, that's why I pay someone else to do jobs! I can't stand jobs needing doing, and when I haven't got any to finish, I'm busy planning what to do next!

BradfordLass72 Fri 06-Dec-19 06:52:36

A plasterer once showed me a quick and easy way of filling in holes.

I have procrastinatiomoods, that is, if I am in a really lazy mood and just can't be bothered, I can leave pretty much anything: washing up, putting laundry away; ringing friends.

But eventually I snap out of it, get is all done on the same day and allow myself to feel semi-virtuous.

Mum used to say, "Procrastination is the thief of time" but it's never pinched any of my 72+ years.

In my --lazy- procrastinating mods, I have no sense of urgency at all. grin

Sara65 Fri 06-Dec-19 06:57:41

Ginny42

I lady after my own heart!

I want everything to be perfect, and I know if I do it, it won’t be. If my husband attempts it, it’ll end up in a massive row, because I’ll criticise his work, and say he’s bodged it, and I absolutely can’t stand it!

Getting a man in is the answer.

Hetty58 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:09:28

Unfortunately, I'm also very mean and hate paying other people to do DIY and building work. I'll always find something wrong with it and I know that I can do it far better. It just takes me a month instead of a day!

Hetty58 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:13:51

Rufus2, no worries, there are no neighbours through that wall, just my garage packed with stuff that just might (but probably won't) come in handy, one day!

vena11 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:49:16

My Moto is Don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.

Rufus2 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:56:06

My Moto is Don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow
And the day after! hmm.