Gransnet forums

Chat

This puzzles me............?

(43 Posts)
DanniRae Tue 10-Dec-19 12:07:30

Just a thought - I have a bad cold and am constantly wiping my nose which is running like a tap. Therefore I have to dispose of lots of tissues. My question is "Is it better for the environment to flush the tissues down the loo or put them in the bathroom bin?"
(Please don't suggest that I use real hankies and boil wash them - my nose is too sore to do that.)

Calendargirl Tue 10-Dec-19 12:16:47

I thought tissues should not be put down the loo, wrong type of paper, not same as loo paper.
I wait to be corrected.

dragonfly46 Tue 10-Dec-19 12:21:19

You are right Calendargirl. Toilet roll is designed to dissolve when wet.
Not good for drippy noses!!

FarNorth Tue 10-Dec-19 12:49:54

dragonfly46 toilet paper doesn't dissolve instantly, or we'd all be having a very unpleasant time.
It can easily be used for nose wiping.

FlexibleFriend Tue 10-Dec-19 12:56:41

Toilet paper is too rough for my nose so I always use tissues and bin them, they hold together much better when wet than loo paper rather than disintegrate. They can get caught on cracks in the pipes and lead to blockages. So binning your tissues is better.

Doodle Tue 10-Dec-19 13:00:23

In the bin dannieRae and don’t be passing your cold onto me ? tchgrin

sodapop Tue 10-Dec-19 13:05:40

Yes in the bin DanniRae you don't want a blocked lavatory to add to your woes.
Hope you feel better soon.

Missfoodlove Tue 10-Dec-19 13:14:38

I use nappy liners when I have a cold, they’re soft, absorbent and stay in one piece if accidentally washed!!
Never flush anything but loo roll.

Septimia Tue 10-Dec-19 13:29:44

I find proper hankies softer than tissues and have no problem about putting them through the wash. If I use tissues, they go in the bin. If for any reason I have to put anything but loo paper down the loo I try to tear it up so that it will at least disintegrate more quickly.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Dec-19 13:32:21

Surely tissues must disintegrate eventually. Can't see any harm in putting them down the lav. Perhaps not a whole bagful at once though.

Baggs Tue 10-Dec-19 13:33:54

My nose thinks hankies are softer than tissues too.

Esspee Tue 10-Dec-19 13:40:24

Mine all go in the compost heap.
Flush them and you block up the sewerage system, bin them and they go to landfill.
Mine end up as part of a glorious home made fertiliser and soil conditioner much loved by worms.

cornergran Tue 10-Dec-19 13:40:31

Hankies for me too. I’m allergic to the ‘soft’ tissues. Mr C uses them, they go in the bin.

lemongrove Tue 10-Dec-19 13:54:13

In the bin every time!
Get well soon Danni ?

Charleygirl5 Tue 10-Dec-19 15:39:49

Definitely in the bin. Some tissues appear to be softer than others.

So many of you have nasty coughs and colds I may stay indoors until May. Morrisons and Amazon will sort me out.

DanniRae Tue 10-Dec-19 16:00:52

Thank you so much for all of you that have sent me Good Wishes. My nose is a little less drippy but I have chills going on at the moment. I had to cancel all I was planning to do today and have relaxed in the living room - but I am grateful that I can do that!
Thanks again for kind words x

BradfordLass72 Wed 11-Dec-19 06:37:51

I'm the dissenting voice.

The loo paper I use is infinitely softer than the tissues beside my computer, used for a multitude of reasons, including my morning sneezes.

I put all mine in a paper bag and add them to the recycling.

Riverwalk Wed 11-Dec-19 07:53:59

BradfordLass in the UK loo/tissue paper is not suitable for recycling, and certainly not when it's soiled! shock

Riverwalk Wed 11-Dec-19 07:55:27

Sorry forgot to add, it's something to do with such paper being made of short fibres so can't stand up to the recycling process

Pippa22 Wed 11-Dec-19 09:47:38

When I have a cold I keep a plastic bag with me and put my tissues in there, tie the bag at the end of the day and put in bin. Just putting in the bin surely the germs will be free to spread.

GrandmaJan Wed 11-Dec-19 10:04:03

As others have said don’t put the down the loo. I use a little disposable bag I put my Tena Lady in when I have a cold. Nappy sacks are just as good

Luckygirl Wed 11-Dec-19 10:09:06

In the wood burner for me!

jaylucy Wed 11-Dec-19 10:15:15

Bradford Lass - put tissues out for recycling? I assume that you reckon whatever bugs have been caught on them will no longer be live?
How nice for the workers at your local recycling centre to be confronted with a load of either crusty tissues or ones full of snot !
Bin them !

mumofmadboys Wed 11-Dec-19 10:25:08

I think hankies are much kinder to your nose when it is sore

Davida1968 Wed 11-Dec-19 10:31:07

Definitely the bin for tissues.