Gransnet forums

Chat

flushing toilet in the middle of the night

(88 Posts)
infoman Sat 14-Dec-19 06:27:22

We have never flushed the toilet in the middle of the night unless its necessary.
We been trying to save the Worlds resources for a very long time, apart from the noise that flushing and the filling up creates.
Now we live in a bungalow,we still carry on the practice.
Do others not flush in the middle of the night or are we the only ones.

Iwastoldtheredbecake Sat 14-Dec-19 06:28:35

We don’t either. Unless it’s absolutely essential, if you know what I mean!

Nortsat46 Sat 14-Dec-19 06:51:59

We also don’t flush during the night, unless necessary.

Particularly if the other partner could still be asleep ...

tanith Sat 14-Dec-19 07:21:37

No I don’t flush at night and it’s a habit now even though I live alone and it wouldn’t disturb anyone.

Beechnut Sat 14-Dec-19 07:39:43

I flush in the night. This time last year I had a blocked drain and to clear it was a s**t job for me to do?

MiniMoon Sat 14-Dec-19 07:43:06

I haven't flushed at night unless it's necessary, since having a water meter installed. I only flush the toilet intermittently during the day to, in order to cut down further on our water use.

Calendargirl Sat 14-Dec-19 07:45:50

I usually go to the loo once in the night. Only flush if we have anyone else staying.

Esspee Sat 14-Dec-19 07:56:02

If it's yellow let it mellow.......

........then one morning when the sun rose I went to flush only to discover it was blood red. Panic ensued, which of us was seriously ill?
Calm was restored when OH reminded me that the previous night's culinary triumph was a new recipe I had tried for a roast butternut and beetroot warm salad. It had been so delicious we both had seconds. Never experienced that before!

cornergran Sat 14-Dec-19 08:22:40

Only flush in the night if necessary or we are staying with one of ours who gets very cross if the toilet isn’t flushed every time. hmm.

dragonfly46 Sat 14-Dec-19 08:27:51

No we don’t flush in the night unless necessary.

LullyDully Sat 14-Dec-19 08:37:02

We don't either. But when visiting my son and his fairly new partner I said I needed to go several times in the night and should I leave it so no-one was woken up........she wasn't at all keen so I flush despite the noise.

sodapop Sat 14-Dec-19 08:40:41

If its yellow let it mellow
If its brown flush it down.

That's my thought.

love0c Sat 14-Dec-19 08:42:42

We don't flush in the night unless we have to?! Nothing to do with saving water, just because the noise of flushing may wake the other one up.

Marmight Sat 14-Dec-19 08:52:02

Never in the night. I’m on a water meter for the first time ever. I flush a couple of times a day unless it’s brown when I let it drown. The local family do the same however the visiting family flush with gay abandon. If I have guests, I flush to spare them embarrassment ?

Auntieflo Sat 14-Dec-19 08:58:07

We flush during the night.
Whether it needs it or not grin

Maggiemaybe Sat 14-Dec-19 09:02:36

More non flushers here.

Panic ensued, which of us was seriously ill?

We’ve had that panic as well, esspee!

EllanVannin Sat 14-Dec-19 09:07:21

I don't and neither does the man living above me, he's so thoughtful and considerate I hardly hear him anyway.

sf101 Sat 14-Dec-19 09:15:10

Another non flusher, save water where you can. Too many people on the planet have a long walk to get any!!

shysal Sat 14-Dec-19 09:42:21

I don't flush at night and, as I live alone only, a couple of times during the day. If an unexpected visitor turns up I 'rush to flush'. I use a bleach rim block to sanitize. In the summer when water is more precious, I leave my shower or bath water in the bath and use it to flush the loo and water the garden, using a bucket.

Chewbacca Sat 14-Dec-19 09:46:29

Same as Marmight. Now I'm on a water meter I'm more savvy with flushing.

BBbevan Sat 14-Dec-19 09:55:31

We do .

FlexibleFriend Sat 14-Dec-19 09:56:48

I flush every time I use the loo whatever the time of day or night. You lot must need your plumbing looked at if it makes enough noise to wake people up, both of ours are virtually silent.

Davida1968 Sat 14-Dec-19 09:57:57

Agree with sodapop and others!

ExperiencedNotOld Sat 14-Dec-19 09:58:19

Twenty five or so years ago we were staying in a hotel in Thurso. I used the loo around 3am and forgetting myself, flushed. The macerator creaking and banged into life and shook the entire building for what felt like ages. We kept our heads down at breakfast.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 14-Dec-19 09:59:50

Nope don’t flush in night unless need to, what’s the point get up early in the morning and do it then,