Gransnet forums

Chat

Seems it's the same the world over!

(17 Posts)
sunseeker Sat 14-Dec-19 08:08:53

We have all heard horror stories about where delivery drivers leave parcels.

I sent a parcel to my brother in Australia for Christmas - received an email from Australia Post saying it had been left "in a safe place". Checked with my brother the "safe place" was leaning against the door! I wonder if delivery drivers receive special training regarding "safe places"! grin

charliebrown Sat 14-Dec-19 08:15:58

Once we were left a card to say a package had been left at a neighbours at No. 15 - we live at No. 15!!

Missfoodlove Sat 14-Dec-19 09:27:05

I had to contact a mail order company as my goods had not arrived.
They insisted thy had delivered and gave me the couriers details.
The company beginning with a Y and ending in L, calmly informed me they had left them in a safe place....,,my dustbin!!!

Littleannie Sat 14-Dec-19 09:39:33

Our postie has twice left parcels in our wheelie bin, then put a card through the door telling us. In our small Close, when anyone is on holiday, the neighbours put out the bin for them. The neighbour wouldn't know about the parcel would they, or know there was a card through the letter box. There is no local phone number to call the depot to complain.

blossom14 Sat 14-Dec-19 14:06:31

We had a parcel left in the recycling bin which was outside on the pavement awaiting collection. Good thing I had lifted the lid to check. The courier was working for company Y ending in l.

Oopsminty Sat 14-Dec-19 14:19:58

We were informed by email the the courier had tried to gain access 3 times.

Left a calling card

Given up and parcel returned to depot

This was an outright lie. I had been sat in my front room with my leg in plaster for a fortnight

My son was studying and hadn't left the house for days

And no little note was ever posted. My small dog barks at anything and everything that ventures up our drive

Very annoying

M0nica Sat 14-Dec-19 14:31:27

We got back last night after 4 days away. There stood on our doorstep was parcel about 18 inches square, clearly visible form the road. I have no idea how long it had been there.

When we got in there was a note from Hermes to say a parcel had been left in the porch. Porch? We haven't got a porch. I then realised they were referring to a very tiny canopy over the front door, the width of the door and about a foot deep, just sufficient to keep drips off your head while waiting at the front door.

We didn't need to be told the parcel was there, we had to move it toget in the door.

Septimia Sat 14-Dec-19 15:07:03

DH saw the delivery man get out of his van outside the house, stand in the road, turn a full circle, get back in his van and drive off. No attempt to even knock at a door.

Reason given on tracking - driver couldn't find the house! He hadn't even tried.....

MissAdventure Sat 14-Dec-19 15:13:05

My neighbour had a card telling her a parcel had been left in her porch. (We live in flats)

It was found in a tub of potatoes I was growing.

merlotgran Sat 14-Dec-19 15:18:53

We have a small shed with a sign over the doorway 'DUCK'

Amazon has a note on their delivery instructions advising that if we are out to leave items in the 'Duck shed' - their description, not mine.

Last week we had a note put through the door saying they would attempt another delivery because they didn't want to risk letting the ducks out!!! tchgrin tchgrin

Kalu Sat 14-Dec-19 15:24:03

???? Oh I love that Merlot

annep1 Sat 14-Dec-19 16:02:18

Merlot ?

I had a parcel "hidden" under the doormat!

Hetty58 Sat 14-Dec-19 16:30:43

Same here, Merlot - a large parcel in the open porch - with the little doormat on top! Why?

BlueBelle Sat 14-Dec-19 16:47:05

These have given me a chuckle

BlueSky Sat 14-Dec-19 17:07:53

Recently we had two deliveries 'Left with resident'. When we enquired about the whereabouts of the parcels they replied 'Left with no 7' but nothing left at no 7. Eventually the packets turned up with a Royal Mail surcharge obviously left by courier at wrong address and guess put straight back in the post box by the resident!

cornergran Sat 14-Dec-19 18:30:56

It seems for one delivery driver our ‘safe place’ is inside the gate to the side garden. The gate is 6’ high and locked. Items put ‘safely’ inside it have been thrown over the top. Inventive if soggy and broken contents hmm.

BradfordLass72 Sun 15-Dec-19 08:55:07

I seem to be lucky. I get lots of things by courier and only once had a problem.

I was here all day, door wide open and the courier claimed, when I enquired for my package, that he had knocked and rung and I was not at home.

When they made enquiries, he was adamant he'd left it leaning against my door (which would have been impossible without his coming into the house..
I was adamant he did not so they began the compensation process.

Two days later, when walking up the road, I saw a bright red package leaning against the door of the house 4 doors away.

This street gets a lot of pedestrian traffic and there's a public walkway over a bridge, so knowing my neighbour was away for several days, I went to get the package, planning to leave him a note.
Of coure, it was the one addressed to me.

So lucky no one pinched it