Gransnet forums

Chat

I feel sorry for Prince Harry

(1000 Posts)
Artdecogran Sun 12-Jan-20 12:00:22

After looking at all the news reports etc I have come to the conclusion that Harry is really stuck in the middle of his wife and the RF. Meghan married Harry very quickly, which can cause difficulties in ‘normal’ families, but with the emotionally constipated RF it was a disaster waiting to happen. If someone like Diana, who had experience of royalty couldn’t cope with the way of life or the hold the courtiers have over proceedings, how could a feisty American. Catherine has only managed it because she and William took a very long time to get her settled into the RF.
Moving to a new country, getting married, having a baby and trying to fit into the RF is a heavy burden, and then being bullied completely by the press is enough to make anyone crack. The daily mail is still dredging up anyone they can to slate Meghan and Harry.
Harry is trying to protect his wife, and according to recent reports, has tried to initiate changes but has been rebuffed at every stage. I would think that seeing the photos on the Queen’s desk didn’t show him or Meghan or their son was hurtful and an indication that they no longer counted. The further photos of the 4 reigning/next in line would surely have pushed home that point.
Harry has slumped down the line of succession, the same thing that happened to Andrew, Anne and Edward. But they had each other to share this change of status and that surely made matters easier.
I think Harry feels very alone and impotent and is trying very hard to change things for his wife, but has had to make a huge fuss to get anyone to listen. If you add in his own personal problems then I am very surprised that he is still trying to go forward instead of just giving up. Perhaps now the RF will abandon their stiff upper lip and treat Harry better than they did Diana.
Sorry for long waffle.

GagaJo Sun 12-Jan-20 12:11:53

I think it will be great for him to be overseas and away from the filthy British media. They really are the scum of the earth.

As long as his marriage is good, the change will be wonderful for him.

lavenderzen Sun 12-Jan-20 12:19:43

Agree completely.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Jan-20 12:21:03

Agree with you both, I sincerely hope that neither Meghan or Harry ever have the misfortune to read / hear of the threads on GN.

vegansrock Sun 12-Jan-20 12:23:45

I’m with team Harry and Meghan. The royal family is an anachronism for the peasants to gawp at.

Knittynatter Sun 12-Jan-20 12:24:20

I agree too. Combined with all the past speculation about who his father is, I wish him every happiness for the future.
I expect Prince Andrew must be extremely relieved that he is no longer in the spotlight!!!

suziewoozie Sun 12-Jan-20 12:43:55

Not another one??

Doodledog Sun 12-Jan-20 12:44:34

I expect Prince Andrew must be extremely relieved that he is no longer in the spotlight!!!

Yes, and a lot of other news is getting buried whilst everyone is obsessing over this.

We don't know the dynamics of Harry and Meghan's marriage, and we don't really know how they have fitted into the RF (or anything else, really, apart from what we have gleaned from carefully vetted media and the odd dramatisation such as The Crown).

I feel sorry for the boy who lost his mum and had to deal with that so publicly, and apparently with little support. I have a certain sympathy with the young man who clumsily tried to find a role for himself when he was growing up without a properly defined one. I admire his concern for others with mental health issues, and his willingness to speak out about the lack of support available for them.

Now he is a grown man, with a wife that he chose, as opposed to having arranged for him. He is a father, and he and his wife need to do what is best for their family. They know what is best for them (as much as any of us do before we've done it), and it is not for us to disagree, IMO.

Also, if Harry is stuck between his wife and his family, where is Meghan? Is she in the same situation (stuck between her husband and her in-laws) or what? I don't know why the assumption always seems to be that she is driving this? In most relationships a move overseas would be a joint one, surely? And giving up Royal status is Harry's decision, not Meghan's, as she is Royal only by marriage (as Princess Diana and Sarah Ferguson both found out). On balance, I would have thought that the decision is more likely to have been his, or at least that he would have had more influence over it than Meghan.

But we don't know. And it doesn't matter. They have decided to live abroad, and to step back as Senior Royals. If that matters at all, it is only the detail of what that actually means, and who will pay for what that is of any concern to anyone but those directly involved.

suziewoozie Sun 12-Jan-20 12:45:03

The bitter haters will join in soon

Pantglas2 Sun 12-Jan-20 12:51:43

Happy wife, happy life! Let’s hope it does make her happy!

Fennel Sun 12-Jan-20 12:52:47

I thought I'd posted on the long thread to say how disgusted I am (husband too) with the media attitude.
That post didn't show up.
The thing that worries me most is that she wasn't able to take her baby with her. She must be heartbroken, poor lass.

MawB Sun 12-Jan-20 13:00:00

What do you mean "wasnt able to take her baby back with her" ?
Meghan only came for a few days, conveniently leaving Archie in Canada- a clear indication that she wasnt planning on staying!

Baggs Sun 12-Jan-20 13:01:52

Good post, well stated, artdeco. Harry, though, has known for a long time (forever) that William's kids, especially the male ones, would trump any right of his to the throne. I'd be surprised if he doesn't agree that the females in the direct line family should be included now too.

What has made the most impression on me in what I've read this morning is what William is quoted as saying: "I've put my arm around my brother for all of our lives. I can't do it any more."

Fennel Sun 12-Jan-20 13:03:11

ok I got it wrong - I thought she'd gone to Canada and left Archie here.

Baggs Sun 12-Jan-20 13:05:30

I meant to add that taking offence about the direct line photos (Queen, Charles, William, George) would be very childish in my opinion. I don't believe Harry is that childish.

Jaycee5 Sun 12-Jan-20 13:06:52

I think Megan has helped Harry found the escape route that he has wanted since a child. No one should be born into a job for life.
Good luck to them. It will be difficult over the next few months but they will get through it because they have each other and good friends.

nightswimmer Sun 12-Jan-20 13:14:27

I think they are best off out of it.

wicklowwinnie Sun 12-Jan-20 13:17:39

Well it's all keeping the spotlight off Andrew isn't it?

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jan-20 13:21:11

I said, when they first got married and all the filthy, filthy press and people like Piers Morgan, Steve Allen and other presenters were so incredible disrespectful, and vitriolic, that the best thing would be if they both moved away and lived a happy family life away from it all
Meghan has done a real lot of charity work in her own right meeting a Harry and coming here and Harry has that background I hope they find a way to be happy, work hard and enjoy their family away from these horrors
The absolute best of luck to them
If they breathe someone will condemn them
Get out, my loves and stay out and good luck away from this mire

Hithere Sun 12-Jan-20 13:29:05

I hate " he is in the middle"

No, he is very much choosing his actions. If he didn't want to leave the rf, he wouldn't have.
If he didn't want to marry Meghan so fast, he wouldn't have done that.

*He is charge of his own actions"

As for people from US being feisty, let me laugh out loud. You cannot generalize a whole country into one personality.
(I don't say Americans as I believe it belongs to people living in the continent, not in just a country)

Before Meghan, Catherine was the scapegoat. Why is it always the woman the evil person and the guys are innocent bystanders?
It reminds me of " Eve made Adam eat from the forbidden fruit"
What a bunch of bs.

Anniebach Sun 12-Jan-20 13:35:22

Baggs females are in line to the throne , Charlotte is 4th her younger brother 5th

eazybee Sun 12-Jan-20 13:39:07

Prince Harry is 34(?). He is not a child, has served in the army, and until he married, little was said about his emotional and/or mental health issues. He seemed happy within his family and appeared to enjoy the company of grandparents, father and stepmother, aunts, uncles, cousins, and his brother and sister in law. It is only since the advent of Meghan that he has distanced himself from them and these issues have appeared.
She, by contrast, has a record of discord with her parents, relations, some friends and a failed marriage.
If they were upset because they felt the royal family excluded them, why did they not accept the invitation to Sandringham in the summer and /or at Christmas, when they were clearly not visiting America just to spend quality time with her mother.
And with the concern over security protection, someone needs to point out, very forcefully, to Harry that if one has the protection of bodyguards, royal or otherwise, and resolutely ignores their advice about unnecessary car journeys when a pack of journalists are waiting outside, and equally refuses to obey the law in wearing a seat belt, tragic accidents will happen.
I am not a bitter hater, but I am disgusted by the trouble this pair are causing. Two years married, and it should come to this.

Anniebach Sun 12-Jan-20 13:52:24

Good post eazybee to leave a luxury private hotel suite at night against advice from bodyguards in full knowledge that
the paps were waiting, - suicide.

Grandma70s Sun 12-Jan-20 14:19:52

I think that when William said he couldn’t “put his arm round Harry” any more he just meant that Harry was now grown up with his own family, and no longer needed an elder brother’s protection.

I’m not sure the American press will be all that wonderful. Maybe they don’t have the shocking tabloids that exist in this country, but there is apparently little regulation of the press, for instance with regards to photos of children. I haven’t gone into this, but saw something that made me wonder if they would escape press scrutiny if they leave this country, as they seem to think they will.

sodapop Sun 12-Jan-20 14:39:06

Totally agree eazybee Neither of them are children any longer and should consider their responsibilities.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion