Gransnet forums

Chat

Love Thy Neighbour?

(3 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Wed 15-Jan-20 09:47:59

What is happening in the world these days? We have a US ‘President’ who spews out messages of hate and other world leaders and dictators who are increasingly sabre-rattling.

OK that is nothing new, but now we have social media where it seems that anything goes and any public figure is fair game, justifiable because they ‘put themselves out there’ apparently, so must take what comes.

The venom extends to the innocent too.

Reluctantly I’m coming to the conclusion that this is in fact a true reflection of certain human nature, hitherto hidden and not given power of expression. Surely not? Yet looking back through history there have been clues to this before. The witch trials, the French Revolution, the outing of Jews by neighbours in Nazi Germany, and similar in the Balkans War.

I find this very disquieting, disturbing and distressing as I liked to think that human nature is basically good, kind and caring.

Now I’m not so sure.

ladymuck Wed 15-Jan-20 10:06:17

I think it's obvious that people in general love to 'gang up' on someone. Sad but true.

I watch a lot of wildlife programmes and seeing the behaviour of chimpanzees shows very clearly that we are all still influenced by primitive animal instincts. People remark how human they are. I prefer to think how chimp-like we are.

No matter how divided we are, humans very quickly unite in hostility against someone perceived as different or a threat to our security.

Yehbutnobut Wed 15-Jan-20 12:38:30

Sadly, you could well be right ladymuck