Gransnet forums

Chat

Fortune Tellers

(41 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 17-Jan-20 21:02:06

Have you ever been stopped by a fortune teller and has her prediction ever come true, when I was a young child I remember clearly myself. And mum and dad lying on the beach, a gypsy came over to dad telling him he was going to live until 96, would have a really good life, me his daughter would be on the stage etc etc and be very successful, and then said would you like to buy some lucky heather off an old gypsy lady, he looked at her and said I don’t think I need any love with all this good luck, I was never on the stage only on school plays. My dad lived until 90 but we did have a great life . Still laugh about it now when I hear the magic words would you like to buy any lucky heather

vampirequeen Sat 18-Jan-20 10:32:11

Fortune tellers are simply scam artists. I can tell the fortune of most people on here with this one statement.

Let me look at your hand. Hmm your life line is good and strong. You'll live to a good age but it won't all be plain sailing. There will be some illnesses in middle age but they won't last forever and you'll get back to good health. I can see that you work hard and you've not always had it easy. You're the type of person who offers support to others but finds it hard to accept support in return because you don't want to put people out even though they offer. You're a very loving person but sometimes that means you get hurt and feel taken for granted...."

Need I go on.

annsixty Sat 18-Jan-20 11:23:30

Covers all eventualities vampirequeen a bit of guesswork and a bit of good , a bit of bad sums up most people’s lives.

Calendargirl Sat 18-Jan-20 13:12:37

A gypsy at the seaside told my mum in passing she would live to a good age, this was years ago. 92 when she died, so quite accurate!

blondenana Sat 18-Jan-20 13:24:31

I don't believe in all fortune tellers, but i have been told lots of things that have come true, and lots about the past too that no one could know,not especially by gypsies but by psychics
If people don't believe it's their choice,but i do because of proof of what i was told, and how many people could know specific things about your past, things you maybe have never told anyone else, and long before social media
There are some charlatans out there too
I have had this discussion on here before,

grandtanteJE65 Sat 18-Jan-20 13:25:26

There may be some people who can predict the future, but it stands to reason that those who do it for a living make some kind of general statement along the lines vampirequeen suggested.

Fine, as long as everyone realises that they are putting on an act. The trouble starts if the person whose fortune was told, seriously tries to make that fortune come true.

Oldwoman70 Sat 18-Jan-20 13:28:23

"Fortune Tellers" tell you what you want to hear. If one came up to you and said you would die young - would you pay them any money or buy "lucky" heather from them?
As I recall someone once saying to me - you only remember the bits that come true never all the bits that are wrong

Dec46 Sat 18-Jan-20 13:49:12

Most people using Fortune Tellers are probably at a low point in their lives and both gullible and vulnerable. I have used them myself in the past and none of their predictions have come true and all have been widely different. I've been told I would be working in a place in Blackburn,handing out uniforms,have a Newsagents in Isle of Dogs,marry a Solicitor with huge country house and adult children.Quite liked the idea of the last prediction but have never been to Isle of Dogs and hate to think I may have ended up in a Blackburn prison !
I like to think I have more sense now than to throw money away on such foolery .

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Jan-20 13:58:14

I've had mine told just twice, by the women who used to go door to door round here selling lace. They each said I'd have a long and happy marriage (true) and came up with the correct number of children I'd have, one with the sex of said children, and didn't waste time waffling at all (they'd lace to sell!). Apart from that, one said I'd lived and worked abroad (correct) and the other that one of my children would take an unusual course in life and another would be very musical (the jury's out on both of those). The only other prediction was that I would be very, very wealthy very, very late in life. The way this was said, I'm expecting to peg it with the shock the day I find I've won the lottery. grin

Neither took payment, by the way, they offered to read my palm as a thank you for buying the (not overpriced) lace.

SpringyChicken Sat 18-Jan-20 15:09:46

I've had a few experiences which makes me believe in fortune telling.
Both in our early twenties, a colleague, Christine, and I went to a fortune teller. We sat in on each other's readings.
The first thing she said to Chris was "oh dear, things aren't going at all well with your marriage, are they?" (Spot on).

To me, she said "if your husband doesn't see about his bad back, I can see him in bed for a very long time". My husband, who was about 26 at the time, had been to the doctor and an osteopath numerous times about his aching back with no success and had almost given up hope. After telling him what the fortune teller said, he saw a chiropracteur, had a course of treatment and other than a couple of top ups sessions over his lifetime, his back had been fine.

I also bought lace from a gypsy at my front door (more or less agreed to buy it to get rid of her). She was advising me to sew it on the bottom of my little girl's dress (At the time, I had no intention whatsoever of having children). Just as I was thinking I'd give it to my mother, she said 'Don't give this lace away, you'll give away your luck'. I kept the lace and I did have a little girl. I made her a dress and sewed the lace around the bottom with an inch or two to spare.

Gagagran Sat 18-Jan-20 15:20:03

I saw Gypsy Rose Lee on Blackpool sea front and she told me I would marry a man whose name began with W and that I would have two children. Both things happened.

I also bought some lace from a gypsy at the door and she told me that the baby I was expecting at the time was a girl - and it was.

Co-incidence I'm sure but it does just make you stop and wonder a little!

grannymy Sat 18-Jan-20 15:29:07

I remember many years ago, on holiday, seeing a Psychic. He told me that there was a lady there with an old fashioned horse and cart with a milk urn and did it mean anything to me. My great great grandmother was the first lady in my town to deliver milk with a horse and cart.................

Grammaretto Sat 18-Jan-20 15:56:38

I lived with a girl who was obsessed by astrology and was always telling people fortunes and reading palms. She talked about it to me and though I was very sceptical I couldn't help hearing her patter.

As a bit of fun once, at a party when she wasn't there, I said I could read palms and began as vampirequeen says with offers of very general good luck even when I couldn't see a lifeline!
However, I became alarmed when a queue began to form as it seemed like everyone there was eager to have their palms read. I made a hasty retreat.

lemongrove Sat 18-Jan-20 16:03:56

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day! If fortune telling were true and valid, the fortune teller would have no need of a job.
The last time a gypsy asked me to buy her lucky heather, I said No and walked on.She was outraged ‘never say no to a gypsy’ she hissed. That’s how they hope to get your money,
Either by wheedling or threatening curses! All nonsense.

Chestnut Sat 18-Jan-20 16:12:48

There are good psychics and not so good psychics, but you won't know at the time. Also, I think the messages they receive can be garbled, after all they're not being told face to face by a person talking clear English! Give them a break. If the message is unclear or inaccurate it's either because their skills are not good enough or the message is unclear. As I understand it, it's like tuning a radio, you hear all sorts of garbled information.
I saw a psychic many years ago who wrote everything down and it was very detailed! It turned out most of it was true, husband, children, parents, work. Just a few things got mixed up but I could see this years later.

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Jan-20 16:21:07

All nonsense.

Well you'll be sorry, lemongrove, when you hear that I've keeled over at the news of the massive lottery win. Not half as sorry as I'll be, though. grin

Greeneyedgirl Sat 18-Jan-20 16:34:47

I agree lemongrove. Why arn't they all lottery winners for starters? By the law of averages they have a good chance of being right some of the time and as Oldwoman70 said, you tend to remember the times they were right.
Bit like horoscopes really.

endlessstrife Sat 18-Jan-20 16:59:22

If I’m ever asked if I would like lucky heather, I always say, no thank you I have Jesus, unless you think there is something it can do for me which Jesus can’t! They normally mutter under their breath, and walk away.

Chestnut Sat 18-Jan-20 22:53:21

Greeneyedgirl: Why arn't they all lottery winners for starters?
What, you think they have a direct line to 'someone' who knows all the lottery numbers before they are drawn? Er, I don't think it works like that.

lemongrove Sat 18-Jan-20 23:02:46

It doesn’t work at all Chestnut.... lucky guesses and calculated guesses with a bit of flattery thrown in.

lemongrove Sat 18-Jan-20 23:05:08

I keep wishing I would win the lottery Maggiemaybe ?.....someday I really must buy a ticket.?

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Jan-20 23:43:02

I’ve perfected that bit, lemongrove. I’ve just got to work on getting the right numbers now. smile

TwiceAsNice Sun 19-Jan-20 08:38:38

Someone I met when we were both working for a charity told my fortune with tarot cards. It all came true

Chestnut Sun 19-Jan-20 10:59:31

Lemongrove, I've said how I understand it 'works' in my post Sat 18-Jan-20 16:12:48. Like tuning a radio (this is how someone described it). Of course there are charlatans and people with very limited skills who overstep their ability, but at the other end of the spectrum are people with really good psychic abilities. They may be few and far between of course and there is no way of knowing just how capable any particular person is. So it's easy to dismiss them all as fakes. I always believe it's best to keep an open mind.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 20-Jan-20 09:43:37

I am also not sure "how it works" either Chestnut. If it were possible that some humans have such psychic powers, it would be able to be proved scientifically, ie we would be obtain evidence, apart from hearsay.
In controlled experiments with so called psychics, they have not been shown to have any special powers.
My guess is that psychics have good people skills, honed observation, intuition and are practiced in reading body language and gauging emotional responses. A skill in itself?