Gransnet forums

Chat

Just about to watch Casualty ....

(24 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 18-Jan-20 22:48:34

Almighty crash, run to front door and daughter's car is 100 yds from where she parked it with rear end a mangled wreck.
Ours and neighbours low walls destroyed and a car in the garden of the bungalow two doors away.
The driver had to be cut out. Hope she's ok.

cornergran Sat 18-Jan-20 23:20:59

Goodness, nina, what a shock. Hope the driver is ok and no one else hurt.

morethan2 Sat 18-Jan-20 23:32:00

Ohhhh what a horrible shock. I thought I was shocked when our garden fence was blown down in the wind a few days ago but that’s minor in what’s just happened to you. Hope everyone is just shocked but not injured. Hot tea or stiff gin for you.

grannyqueenie Sat 18-Jan-20 23:36:43

Goodness, not what you were expecting on an otherwise quiet Saturday evening! Thank goodness your daughter wasn't in her car, hope everyone else involved is safe too. Hope you're able to settle to sleep. flowers

ninathenana Sat 18-Jan-20 23:46:41

Sorry to say she has been charged with DD. She was on wrong side of the road. She is apparently "stable"
DD was very shaky but ok now.
Thanks everyone.
On a lighter side SiL was going to fit a new exhaust tomorrow. "Saved me a job" says he.

harrigran Sun 19-Jan-20 00:17:57

Oh my goodness what a shock for you.
It happened to us twice, the last time an enormous bang so I went downstairs and there was a car in the porch. Car had been in a parking lot and the hand brake must have failed and we are on a hill.

Coolgran65 Sun 19-Jan-20 00:45:52

Hand brake fail...... That's why I always put the car in gear when I park.

Such a shock for you nina..... Thanks be there was no one in your daughter's car.

paddyanne Sun 19-Jan-20 02:03:30

been a strange evening here too.Police cars (2) parked outside and young policeman knocks door...we have had a call suggesting a suspected burglary at this address....sorry officer not here ,we;ve been home all evening .20 minutes later I looked out the window to see flames coming out of the roof (it was the leylandii) of the house opposite .Clled 999 ..2 police cars and fire tender arrived within 5 minutes .Same young police officer who asks me about a spate of fire raising 10 years ago and when I tell himthe persons name says thats who reported a burglary at your house !!.Police speed off to speak to suspect fire engine puts out fire and I start shaking from head to toe...really .Dry January is no more ,large brandy swallowed Strangely I had been chatting abot how safe an area it is just before the doorbell rang....think I ight have jinxed it !!

Jane10 Sun 19-Jan-20 07:55:22

Scary paddyanne!?

Marydoll Sun 19-Jan-20 08:14:16

Wow Nina, what a shock! Your poor DD.

paddyanne, what a shock for you too! I hope the police catch up with the culprit. It's very unsettling to know that someone could be so malicious towards you.
I hope they are charged.

On a lighter note, a few years ago, there was a spate of fire raising at weekends in derelict buildings in a field behind our home. I usually noticed it when I went up for my bath and I was forever phoning the fire service. It happened so often, that I began to worry that they thought I was the actual culprit, wanting a bit of excitement!

ninathenana Sun 19-Jan-20 08:42:23

coolgran I don't think the car being in gear would have made a difference. Yes it may not have moved but it would still have no rear end. Kia versus large BMW bit of a no brainer.

sodapop Sun 19-Jan-20 08:57:50

That was a shock ninathenana glad no one was badly hurt though. Did you get to watch Casualty after all that smile

Strange night for you as well Paddyanne must have been unsettling for you, I hope things are more peaceful now.

kittylester Sun 19-Jan-20 10:04:21

Hope everyone is feeling ok now nina - what a shock!!

Hope you are feing ok now paddyanne. We will let you off the brandy in the circumstances. Is this a new home? I know you were maybe moving. Nice to see you posting.

Mapleleaf Sun 19-Jan-20 10:23:54

My goodness, what a shock for you all, nina, but such a relief that no one was seriously hurt - it could so easily have been a different scenario.
Paddyanne, that must have been unsettling for you. I hope you are alright.

Mapleleaf Sun 19-Jan-20 10:25:17

P.S. Paddyanne - I think the brandy was quite justified under the circumstances! ?

Urmstongran Sun 19-Jan-20 10:32:35

What a shock for you nina and you too paddyanne (welcome back by the way!). It’s very unsettling isn’t it for a couple of days?

Last Saturday a man died in his apartment here in Spain from a fire due to faulty wiring. Loads of black smoke pouring from his window. I kept thinking about him for days afterwards.
RIP Terry.

paddyanne Sun 19-Jan-20 11:58:48

Urmstongran those who have been on here for a while might remember we had our business destroyed...the premises ...the week of the Live Aid concert .It was the start of a long scary year when the arsonist threatened us by phone in the middle of the night until he was finally caught.Sure it was a long time ago but fire scares the wits out of me.

Urmstongran Sun 19-Jan-20 12:22:34

Oh paddyanne how scary. I didn’t know that (of course). Totally shocking. I can well understand your learned responses now.
?

schnackie Sun 19-Jan-20 12:28:21

Oh my word! What a shock! I hope your daughter will get her car repaired (or replaced!) soon.

ladymuck Sun 19-Jan-20 12:29:07

What a start to the new year!

ayokunmi1 Sun 19-Jan-20 13:26:28

My gosh just hope everyone involved is fine

Jane10 Sun 19-Jan-20 13:28:37

Gosh paddyanne I hope that's not the same arsonist stalking you again.

paddyanne Sun 19-Jan-20 14:48:04

no Jane10 he died last year ,while I couldn't bear to look at him I never really got over the horror of his actions.My husband had just left the premises at 2am when the fire started and we lost a lot of money because of a m/c that had been delivered early that day but wasn't insured.The days when you had to deal with an insurance broker direct .We had the business up and running within days from our garage ..which we built from sratch in 3 days thanks to a very helpful local council .To be honest I think thats why the threats started,we hadn't wrung our hands and walked away saying poor me.We had staff to pay and a home and child of our own to support.Although we had our suspicions we had no concrete proof ,the arsonist had burned his own business as he was going through a very lean patch and he did ours and 4 others to make it look like a random fire starter .He was the first on the scene at all the fires he started which was remarked on by the firemen .Its a small town,people notice these things .Thankfully we survived and thrived ,although my OH had a nervous breakdown from the stress .Its something I 've never been able to forgive or forget .He was never prosecuted because he had" mental health issues" his lawyer claimed

ninathenana Sun 19-Jan-20 14:50:07

schnakie car is a write off.
See pic above, hoping she can sort a courtesy car tomorrow and is already looking for replacement as her work is pretty inaccessible by public transport.