Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do men spit in public?

(89 Posts)
Willow10 Sun 16-Feb-20 13:38:54

I know there are a few males on GN so maybe they could answer, because it baffles me. Men spit everywhere - in the street, on the playing field etc. But I can't say I have ever witnessed women spitting. A man just walked past my window and spat on the pavement, which turned my stomach. Is there a good reason for it? hmm

Dec46 Sun 16-Feb-20 13:45:01

Willow I can't remember when I last saw anyone, male or Female,spit in the street.Absolutely revolting behaviour for either sex and can't think of any legitimate reason for anyone doing so

SueDonim Sun 16-Feb-20 13:46:45

Yes, it’s something I’ve witnessed more than once lately. It’s disgusting.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 16-Feb-20 13:49:20

I’ve only seen it done on the football field but yuk it’s disgusting

Esspee Sun 16-Feb-20 13:52:02

I haven’t seen that in the last 50 years. Where do you live? China?

suziewoozie Sun 16-Feb-20 14:09:14

I saw it the other day but can’t remember where now - but it was s man. I remember signs on buses in my childhood Do not spit. Penalty £5

suziewoozie Sun 16-Feb-20 14:10:00

Or was it 5/-?

Calendargirl Sun 16-Feb-20 15:28:27

Yes, young men do it, I think they imagine they look like footballers. Disgusting. If I were a football referee they would get a red card for spitting.

suziewoozie Sun 16-Feb-20 15:31:41

Just remembered, young man in Belgium. Yuk

SueDonim Sun 16-Feb-20 15:33:02

It seems to be a geographical thing. I don’t see anyone spitting in my local town but I do in my nearest city.

Moocow Sun 16-Feb-20 15:34:50

Not my relation but someone I know frequently has to rush to the sink/toilet to spit when first getting in. If they have to speak first they fund it difficult. I've never asked why, just witnessed them excusing himself and apologising after.

I've witnessed men doing it in the street (not as often as years ago) and it is another reason why I wonder about people being happy to keep shoes on inside - but that was another topic!

cornergran Sun 16-Feb-20 15:35:02

Seen several men and youths do it lately, mostly walking on our sea front. Nasty.

MissAdventure Sun 16-Feb-20 15:56:00

I always think it's linked into male animals marking their territory.
At least they're not like hippos!

Foul, needless habit.

ElaineI Sun 16-Feb-20 16:22:59

See it all the time - sometimes women too. Totally disgusting and unhygienic!

Davidhs Sun 16-Feb-20 16:41:48

Most men don’t !. You do see it on the sports fields and I suppose after physical exertion its forgivable. Occasionally I have seen youths doing it casually, I imagine it makes the feel cool or whatever. Years ago smokers spat regularly, spittoons were in pubs along with sawdust on the floor, in this area things have come a long way since then.

Missfoodlove Sun 16-Feb-20 16:44:18

I see it all the time, it is truly disgusting.
When I worked in a school, staff told me it was not an offence unless you were spat at by pupils.
It’s a vile habit.

TerriBull Sun 16-Feb-20 16:45:10

When one of my sons was about 15 or so we were out together and without any warning he just gobbed up and spat in the street, he was going through an unfortunate phase of extreme misplaced machismo at the time. Absolutely furious, my inner Margaret Thatcher rose to the fore, I handbagged him right there and then. Why do they do it, heaven knows, horrible habit, maybe they think it looks tough shock

Doodledog Sun 16-Feb-20 16:53:27

It is vile, and I do remember signs at bus stops and so on warning people against it.

It was supposed to spread TB and other diseases. I don't know if that's very likely, but if so, given the anti-vax brigade and the way that long haul flights have made the spread of global epidemics more prevalent, maybe it should be made illegal again?

I don't know who would enforce a ban, though.

annep1 Sun 16-Feb-20 17:28:00

Or was it 5/-?
Suziewoozie grin. Possibly!

Maybe most men don't, but an awful lot do. Not just on playing fields. Its a disgusting habit which turns my stomach. I see mostly young lads doing it. Why? Don't they care that people witness them? Yeeugh!

SalsaQueen Sun 16-Feb-20 17:29:01

Only SOME men spit, not all of them. My husband and 2 sons have never done that, but then they've got good manners.

Willow10 Sun 16-Feb-20 17:39:57

Espee - no I don't live in China. What has that got to do with my question?

farview Sun 16-Feb-20 19:17:18

..was all set to post a reply on this subject when I read Terribullspost and the picture it conjured up has left me in stitches ??

phoenix Sun 16-Feb-20 19:52:00

Vile, disgusting, uncouth, gross, ill mannered, chavvy, plebby, add whatever you can think of!

IT IS UNACCEPTABLE

PamelaJ1 Sun 16-Feb-20 20:01:01

Willow, I lived in HK, there was a lot of spitting. Maybe that’s what Espee was referring too.
It’s illegal there now.
Horrible.

EllanVannin Sun 16-Feb-20 20:06:03

This has to be the worst germ-spreading and filthy habit that exists.
Surely anyone with respect would carry a tissue and dispose of it appropriately. There are some vile humans around.