Gransnet forums

Chat

Kitchen gadgets that bring back memories?

(71 Posts)
curvygran950 Tue 18-Feb-20 11:47:04

Whilst using my late mums pepper grinder and wooden rolling pin this morning, I wondered if anyone else has any kitchen implements that have special memories ?

Mrst1405 Tue 18-Feb-20 11:59:58

I have my grandmas rolling pin. Many moves, one abroad, and 2 husbands, that and my teddy bear always come with me.

ninathenana Tue 18-Feb-20 12:07:39

I have an old carving knife the blade of which is half the width it was originally due to the fact dad sharpened it every Sunday on the stone step at the back door.
I don't use it but I like to keep it.

Scribbles Tue 18-Feb-20 12:17:28

I have my MiL's glass lemon squeezer. It's over 75 years old and works far better than any of several more modern gadgets I've tried over the years.

Chewbacca Tue 18-Feb-20 12:22:16

My mother had one of those whisks/beaters that you had to manually turn a handle at the side to make it work. It was so much hard work and was hardly less effort that just using an ordinary balloon whisk.

curvygran950 Tue 18-Feb-20 12:27:53

Scribbles, I have my mums lemon squeezer too ; you are so right about it working better than most of the modern ones . They obviously last a lot longer too !

Stansgran Tue 18-Feb-20 12:29:09

Toasting fork out of twisted wire made by my father at preset grammar school in the 1900 s . Four marshmallows at once! Or sixteen if greedy as it would take four on each prong.

Stansgran Tue 18-Feb-20 12:31:01

Preset=Prescot

tanith Tue 18-Feb-20 12:31:50

I have a bread knife that was my Dads I use it all the time. Funny too that also have my Mums glass lemon squeezer ?

Mapleleaf Tue 18-Feb-20 14:20:28

I have my Grandma’s large mixing bowl which she used to make bread in. I’ve also got a small ladle which she used to serve up her sherry trifle. Both get used regularly by me.

Chewbacca my Mum had one of those whisks, too. Didn’t half make my arms ache when I used it - much better when she got an electric mixer! ?

Nannylovesshopping Tue 18-Feb-20 14:32:11

I still use my grans preserving pan, remember her using it, then my mother, now me, and my daughters got her eye on it, my gran would be so pleased.

Marydoll Tue 18-Feb-20 14:36:45

I still use my mum's mixing bowl and preserving pan. The must be over 60 years old.

grannypiper Tue 18-Feb-20 14:40:32

I have my Mums teapot that is used many times every day and her soup pot that is used twice a week. Soup made in any other pan just doesnt taste the same.

Daddima Tue 18-Feb-20 14:42:42

I still use my mother’s wooden chopping board, which must be 70 years old. I also have my father’s ‘ wee sharp knife’, which, along with the frying pan, was taken on holiday every year, as my father did the cooking and maintained that holiday accommodation never had good ones!

BradfordLass73 Tue 18-Feb-20 20:29:23

With junketing around the world, I've had to give up so many things from my past and that of my grandmothers.

Still have some heavy earthernware, brown glazed pots which Mum (and her Mum and hers before her) used to put into the range with sliced potato, onion and a beef stock.

I don't use them though.

lemongrove Tue 18-Feb-20 20:42:17

A glass trifle bowl, from Grandma, bought in about 1925, still used regularly, an egg slicer ( also from her, age unknown but certainly over 50 years old) and a pair of handles with sharpened ends, which you stuck into a cooked goose to lift it out of the pan ( also hers, but never used by me) due to the fact that I haven’t cooked goose at all.

dragonfly46 Tue 18-Feb-20 20:45:58

I have my mum’s set of pastry cutters.

MamaCaz Tue 18-Feb-20 20:59:04

I used to have a pudding bowl that had been my grandma's. It was designed for steamed puddings, with a special lid, and I used it quite often.
Then, when I needed it one day, I couldn't find it. It had mysteriously disappeared, though its lid was still in the cupboard where the bowl should have been.
Some time after, I found it in OH's workshop. He had used it for mixing paint in, and totally ruined it!!!
I haven't forgiven him yet or let him forget about it, but it was only 40 years ago, so still early days grin

JaneyG Tue 18-Feb-20 21:05:11

I have my grandmother’s double boiler, still use it. And her jam skimmer thingy. Both aluminium.

BlueSapphire Tue 18-Feb-20 21:07:54

I have my DM's mixing bowl, which must date from the 1940s.

cornergran Tue 18-Feb-20 21:08:56

I treasure, and use, my grandfathers silver table spoon and my mother in laws icing nozzles and some of the cake decorations she used. Not quite the same but I love to use a small tablecloth embroidered by my Mum. She wasn’t the most skilled needle woman and it reminds me of her tenacious nature.

DoraMarr Tue 18-Feb-20 21:11:04

I haven’t got any thing from my mother, but I have got a wooden chopping board my dad made for me, and a wire knife sharpener he sent me, by post, first class, after he had been so appalled by my blunt carving knife. I was making pancakes last week when my daughter said “I remember that whisk, with the red handle, you used to use it in the first house I can remember!”

Marmight Tue 18-Feb-20 21:19:08

I have my Parent’s 70 year old bread board & knife which I use daily. Also have a hand operated whisk and a big Mason Cash mixing bowl complete with crack. I also have a tiny fruit knife in a leather cover which she kept in her handbag!

CanadianGran Tue 18-Feb-20 22:48:04

My MIL's Sunbeam Mixmaster... it just stopped working last week when I was baking with my granddaughter.

Thankfully my husband is an electrician and good with small appliances. We sourced a replacement part from a repairman and are having it sent to us. I have every hope that it will continue to work for another 50 or 60 years. She can't quite remember what year she got it, but it was early in her marriage, and my husband is 59.

grannyticktock Tue 18-Feb-20 23:01:37

Does anyone remember silly, pointless kitchen gadgets? In the 1970s I had a burger maker, a chip chopper, and a gadget for making cream out of unsalted butter + milk (I mean, why???) They all required assembly/dismantling and were fiddly to wash and store. Other things I can do without are a meat thermometer, egg slicer, bean slicer and teabag tongs.