Gransnet forums

Chat

Is there a special song that brings back happy memories?

(76 Posts)
DanniRae Tue 25-Feb-20 11:18:48

I just heard mine on the radio grin
Back in February 1984 I was pregnant. I was already lucky to have 2 daughters and when I went to have a very thorough scan (because of family medical problems) they said do you want to know what it is? Of course I did! "Well it's a boy" they said. I was so excited I nearly fell off of the bed. BUT my husband had said all along that he didn't want to know what we were having ...... so I had to keep it myself........right until August. So what is 'my song' - Of course it is "Let's hear it for the BOY" by Deniece Williams.
My son is now 35 and every time I hear this song I am back in 1984 and remember what a happy time it was for all of us smile

maddyone Tue 25-Feb-20 11:37:25

‘We’ve only just begun’ by The Carpenters. It was playing on the car radio on the morning after we’d got married, just as we set off on our honeymoon.

TwiceAsNice Tue 25-Feb-20 11:43:01

Distant Drums by Jim Reeves. It was my fathers favourite song and I remember it all my childhood. It was played at his funeral and made me cry but I still love it

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 25-Feb-20 11:50:11

'Walking On the Moon' by the Police. It was popular around the time I first met DH and was often played on the radio on the works bus on the way home - I met him in the engineering department of the large company where we worked.

tanith Tue 25-Feb-20 12:06:22

‘Give it up’ by KC and the Sunshine band DH loved it and played it many times, I had it played at his funeral.

Calendargirl Tue 25-Feb-20 12:10:11

‘Annie’s Song’ by John Denver. It was in the charts when my daughter was born, September 1974. You stayed in hospital about 7 days back then! About 8 of us in the ward, one night one of the new mums brought out her guitar and sang this, with us all gathered round. It was lovely.
Fast forward 26 years, and when daughter married in Australia, this song was their first dance music. My DS said, “Oh Mum, this is for you” .
Hadn’t cried all day, but I did then, as did DD.
Very poignant, as she has lived there ever since.

lavenderzen Tue 25-Feb-20 12:19:31

"Your Song" Elton John - so many memories.

jaylucy Tue 25-Feb-20 12:31:29

"It's One of Those Nights" by the Partridge Family - I can remember listening to Radio Luxembourg with my radio under my pillow so that my parents supposedly didn't know! I did actually get to see David Cassidy in concert several times, last one being about 7 years ago.
"Rock the Boat" by the Hues Corporation - my first holiday to Paignton without my parents when I went with a school friend and her parents.
"Wouldn't it Be Nice" by the Beachboys - memories of a hot midsummers day at a concert at the old Wembley Stadium with Elton John headlining, support acts were Stackridge, Rufus with Chaka Khan , The Eagles and the Beachboys. Amazing!

Anniebach Tue 25-Feb-20 12:40:19

‘She’ Charles Aznavour. The last record my husband bought me before he died. Still wonder about the line ‘she may turn each day into a heaven or a hell’ !

MaggieMay69 Tue 25-Feb-20 12:45:12

The Sweetest thing - played on the radio the day my grandson was bought home. I still call him that. x

Alexa Tue 25-Feb-20 12:45:44

Hawick Common Riding songs make me feel happier.

Teetime Tue 25-Feb-20 13:39:53

'Shiny Happy People' reminds me of my daughter and friends going off to Glastonbury all crammed into one car as they finished their A levels. I would never have been allowed to do anything like that and I wanted her to have all the fun she could have. She had a fabulous time. Every time I hear that song I see her fall out of the car when she came back with the other girls all filthy with piles of dirty washing- a very happy day.

jusnoneed Tue 25-Feb-20 13:42:43

Without you, Harry Nilsson. Is the only record bought especially for me by someone special. Even though we lost touch many years ago it always makes me think of him (first love) and the good times we had.

Curlywhirly Tue 25-Feb-20 14:22:21

My Cherie Amour released by Stevie Wonder in 1969 - I was 13 and getting ready to go to the local disco (no alcohol, more like a youth club) and it was on the radio; it just brings back happy memories of being excited at going out and looking forward to seeing my latest crush (not sure which one, I had a few - never managed to bag any of them!). More recently, Piano Man by Billy Joel also brings back lovely memories; I was taking my youngest son, who was about 17 to a follow-up hospital appointment (nothing serious, sprained ankle - rugby injury). As it was a boiling hot sunny day, I had the roof down on the sports car I had at the time, and Piano Man came on the car radio. We both sang along at the top of our voices to the whole song as I drove down a beautiful country lane, it was just such a lovely relaxing moment in a very busy day.

M0nica Wed 26-Feb-20 06:53:06

The Brahms Lullaby, and another lullaby, whose words and tune, I remember, but not its title.

My mother had a beautiful voice and when I was tiny she would sit beside my cot/bed and sing these two lullabys to me to lull me to sleep or sooth me when I was ill.

Whenever I hear either of these lullabys, I am taken back to a special place where my mother sings to me and I felt so safe and cared for.

travelsafar Wed 26-Feb-20 07:54:56

Jesamine by The Casuals. My first real boyfriend said this was our song and everytime i hear it i am transported back to the 60's when i was foot loose and fancy free. Oh Happy Days!!!! smile

travelsafar Wed 26-Feb-20 07:56:26

Also the song by Stevie Wonder 'Isn't she lovely'. It was in the charts when my first son was born and i would sing this to him changing the 'she' to 'he'.

DanniRae Wed 26-Feb-20 09:18:44

I also love "Annie's Song" by John Denver. Quite recently it was playing on the radio when my son was visiting and he said "This song always reminds me of you, mum." I used to make mix tapes and this song was often being played - with me singing along - during his childhood.
His comment made my day - and that song is even more special to me now smile

BlueSky Wed 26-Feb-20 10:02:03

When my son was born Love Story was in the charts. I cried buckets and still do when I hear it!

Oopsminty Wed 26-Feb-20 10:06:17

So many songs transport me to do many places

One of my favourites is Oh What a Beautiful Morning

My Mum's favourite

Spoiled somewhat by Macdonalds using it in their advert!

Also Somewhere My Love has me feeling emotional

Angeleyes58xx Wed 26-Feb-20 10:15:00

Lady in red is my song, it brings back such fond memories dancing to that song, also I used to wear a beautiful red jacket, I went in a restaurant for a meal with my husband, I went to the bar, and the manager behind the bar said I have put you a record on, as you look so beautiful ? tonight, he said don’t tell your husband ? he made my night and he never took his eyes off me.❤️??xx

Phoebes Wed 26-Feb-20 10:26:22

I love the ‘Theme from a Summer Place’ and also Billy Joel’s ‘Piano Man’. Our daughter got married in New York and they had their reception in a charity bookstore, which was a function room by night! As we went in, the DJ was playing a long playlist and I suddenly realised, when the ‘Theme from a Summer Place’ cropped up, that the playlist, which had been put together by our daughter, contained all my favourite music. I was really touched. Later in the evening, all us oldies, Americans and Brits, got together in a circle and danced to ‘Piano Man’.

seadragon Wed 26-Feb-20 10:28:05

For me it is "The First Time Ever I Saw your Face" by Ewan MacColl. He wrote it for Peggy Seeger who became his 3rd wife: h2g2.com/edited_entry/A78662172#back10 It takes me right back to Boxing Day 1967 when I met my husband and captures my feelings then exactly and subsequently when each of our children were born... Both were so like him as babies and children.

Grannytwoshoes Wed 26-Feb-20 10:29:23

Dancing Queen will be in my mind for ever. It reminds me of my darling daughter killed in a car crash aged 32. It was her song. I was driving down motorway shortly after her death and found myself behind a National
Express coach and the words on the back of the bus advertising their website spelt out
Nationalexpress
All in one word. Her name was Alex! ! At the same time the car radio played Dancing Queen! So now Every time I see one of their coaches I see her name in the middle of that word and think of my Dancing Queen. Try it next time you see one if their coaches!

Phoebes Wed 26-Feb-20 10:36:20

Granny two shoes: I am so sad for you. I cried when I read your post just now. I will never look at a National Express coach in the same way again. Sending you lots of love.