Gransnet forums

Chat

Panic buying

(145 Posts)
Artdecogran Sat 29-Feb-20 10:56:33

An online supermarket has warned that they are experiencing higher than normal buying levels. Obviously people are panic buying in anticipation of global collapse. I wasn’t going to but if everyone else is stocking up/hoarding then there won’t be much left for me. So now I’m going to hoard food, medicine, toilet rolls, pet food and so on, which will then cause more shortages so you will have to hoard too. The world has gone nuts! ?

Scribbles Sat 29-Feb-20 11:03:09

I'm just about to go to Lidl for dishwasher tablets and milk. I'm going to be grossly disappointed if I have that trek through the rain to find only empty shelves.
?

rafichagran Sat 29-Feb-20 11:05:51

It really is pathetic. I am just buying normally. There really is no need to panic.

Calendargirl Sat 29-Feb-20 11:13:09

I know it’s different, but back in the Winter of Discontent and the 3 day week, people stockpiled candles and sugar. (I still have candles that my mum bought!)
You cannot stockpile all the things you use! Most people haven’t the space. Far better for the supermarkets to limit how much of certain items can be bought at a time. All right, I know some will just shop or order every day, but it would hopefully be a bit fairer for the majority of sensible people, who are trying to keep things normal and not into panic buying.

threexnanny Sat 29-Feb-20 11:15:49

I have been wondering how you get supplies of food and medicines if you are in an area where the authorities have closed it off due to the flu virus.

BlueBelle Sat 29-Feb-20 11:21:33

Absolutely ridiculous Do not play into it artdecogran if you start stock piling you will add to the problem
Sorry to sound harsh but it is selfish behaviour that will only help people VERY short term and make it 100 times worse for everyone else
Stop all this panic and doom mongering, act like responsible sensible people for goodness sake

Artdecogran Sat 29-Feb-20 11:36:31

My comment was supposed to be ironic, tongue in cheek and taking the proverbial about panic buying. However I know I have a very dry sense of humour so I get that it didn’t come across that way BlueBell. Hence the funny face at the end.

Witzend Sat 29-Feb-20 11:38:39

I just walked through pouring rain to local corner shop for bread (we were right out) and a couple of other bits.
Shelves were just as well stocked as ever.

Desdemona Sat 29-Feb-20 11:43:54

I bought a few tins of soup yesterday, fat lot of good it would do in the event of global collapse - just a psychological comfort I think (I also do it if there is a threat of snow!)

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 29-Feb-20 11:46:06

ArtdecoGrAN

Ever thought it could be this: Supermarket ploy to get you to buy more. Don't be sucked in.

Cornwall - I went to Sainsbury's and Morrisons yesterday. No panic buying from me or anyone else. Stocks good on the shelves.

BlueSky Sat 29-Feb-20 12:26:46

Same at the first sign of snow! Even people who live in towns with easy access to super markets. Worse still they bin the lot once the emergency is over!

Chestnut Sat 29-Feb-20 12:28:15

It's unlikely there will be shortages at the moment. If a pandemic takes grip it will be a different story.

Scribbles Sat 29-Feb-20 12:50:43

I'm pleased to report that Lidl seem to have plenty of everything!

I just remembered the stockpiling that was reported when some people decided Brexit would cause us all to starve. I wonder if those people have used up their supplies yet or if they're saving them for Corona virus?

3nanny6 Sat 29-Feb-20 12:55:51

It's raining really heavy here so I do not feel like going off to supermarket.

Just seen my neighbour going in his house with about 15 bottles of bleach and 40 toilet rolls, don't know what else he had in all other bags. There's only him with wife and daughter so do not know what they want with all that. If I run out of anything I know who I can ask.

GillT57 Sat 29-Feb-20 13:03:26

I wouldn't go near your neighbour 3nanny6, it sounds as if there is a lot of upset stomachs in their house, going by the reports of bulk buying loo rolls and bleach! We always have lots of loo roll in the airing cupboard, usually purchased in the massive 24 roll packs as my DH panics if we stocks get low grin

Riverwalk Sat 29-Feb-20 13:06:36

This morning I had a mooch around Peter Jones, M&S and Waitrose - no panic buying in sight.

I think the dreary weather is keeping people at home, rather than fear of a pandemic.

EllanVannin Sat 29-Feb-20 14:28:55

There's enough to feed an army in the freezer as it is so no need for any over-buying. There seems to be plenty of everything where I am with no panic showing. It's easy when there's only one of you though.

You can't eat if you're ill anyway ?

Daisymae Sat 29-Feb-20 14:37:45

One site this morning someone had stockpiled £1k worth of goods and asking if that's enough! Personally I have relabelled my Brexit box. And have bought more tea as my brand's on offer.

Daisymae Sat 29-Feb-20 14:40:42

Someone else has taken their children out of school......

lemongrove Sat 29-Feb-20 14:45:48

There are no shortages of stupid people ( should anyone want to stockpile them)?

Greymar Sat 29-Feb-20 14:52:38

Check out the preppers on MN.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 29-Feb-20 15:58:41

Went to Aldi this morning, no queues, shelves all full, same in Waitrose and in Tescos ( couldn’t buy everything I needed in just one shop, and they are all within a spit of each other)
So not much panic in Oxfordshire.
Maybe it’s just hype by the Newspapers? The headlines are certainly screaming about panic and different scenarios.

BlueBelle Sat 29-Feb-20 16:15:49

Seems from the answers that most people didn’t get the humour art I thought the smiley was for the last short sentence ‘The world has gone nuts’
Anyway glad it’s not a real problem for you ??

Artdecogran Sat 29-Feb-20 16:41:39

Just spoken to my DD who is a sister in A/E, and they have people turn up asking to be tested for the corona virus. Do you have a temperature - no, have you been to an infected area - no, have you been in contact with anyone diagnosed - no, do you feel ill - no. So annoyed.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 29-Feb-20 16:45:33

Panic buying sounds a brilliant generous community gesture.

When those who haven't stocked up, like me, run out of food, I will be able to rely on those generous public spirited hoarders to deliver food parcels..............hopefully grin

One thing's for sure, the community's going to have to pull together because I'm not sure it will be useful to depend on our super efficient government.