Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Eve4ning Sat'Day

(8 Posts)
Rufus2 Sat 28-Mar-20 13:47:58

Another fine warm day in OZ 27C, no rain, but that might change tomorrow; rain, hail! Of course, this is Melbourne! smile
Things are really hotting up on the beaches in more ways than one; idiots who still insist on sunbathing in groups despite closures, but police are now enforcing the law, thank goodness. We are still getting cruise ships with their concomitant problems of passengers/ quarantine regs. I'm surprised at the high number of ships on our high seas.
More big name shops shedding staff. Smaller side street shops are already struggling coping with raft of rules associated with "safe distance".
My support staff are all well; they have a tough job having to go into quite a number of retirement homes. They are my only visitors, obviously, these days. Neighbours, equally obviously keep their distance, although one lady has set up a system whereby I call her mobile with my shopping list and then she deposits it on my front doorstep! smile
I'm discovering so many nice, helpful ladies!
Talking to my granddaughter this evening, a nurse working mainly with the elderly in a N.Devon hospital and she gave a 90min. review of the situation in that part of the world. Good weather too, prior to starting "Summer"; clocks forward tonight whereas ours go back next week-end.

She told me she had just retrieved her pet tortoise, Joe, from the vets where he had been spending the Winter in their freezer, along with a couple of dozen others! I couldn't believe her at first, knowing that she has the family sense of humour, and suspecting a leg pull, but she's fair dinkum!
What with looking after a dog, a parrot and holding down a nurse's job, you have to admire her, although I can't imagine Joe being high maintenance! grin
Another conversation topic derives from the constant TV News presentations related to the virus. All the pollies and Health experts have a sign language translator on camera and I fell to wondering if the signs differ according to the basic language or whether it's a universal language. Apparently they do, but how I've yet to find out!
I notice I've ruffled a few feathers elsewhere again, grin
It's now Sunday and so time for my prayers!
Good Health
Ta-Ra

gillybob Sat 28-Mar-20 13:53:24

Hi Rufus glad you are being well looked after. I bet you’re in heaven getting all the attention from the laydeees . I note you are still in good humour . We’ve got hailstones here in Geordieland and it’s freezing !
Stay well smile

BlueSky Sat 28-Mar-20 14:46:03

Hi Rufus never thought I would witness a sci-fi style quarantine in my lifetime. I witnessed the first man in space, Kennedy assassination , man on the Moon, Berlin Wall, (and dismantlement of same), 9/11, terrorist attacks in Europe, and now this! Sadly as the world is getting smaller no country in the world is spared. Good night. moon

Callistemon Sat 28-Mar-20 14:47:21

Hello Rufus, glad you're being looked out for.

I was very surprised to hear that State elections were still going ahead at least in Queensland and also that thousands of passengers were allowed off a cruise liner in Sydney to tour and mingle.
Does your PM not listen to the news?

Take care

eazybee Sat 28-Mar-20 14:52:28

Good evening Rufus. Glad to see you haven't been banned for upsetting the hen coop.
Enjoy your posts, all of them.

rafichagran Sat 28-Mar-20 14:58:48

Evening Rufus. Keep well.

GabriellaG54 Sat 28-Mar-20 16:01:18

Yes bright this morning but duller as the day wore on.
Glimmers of sun behind grey sky right now and yes, a chill in the air but no breeze.
Looks like rain on the way...?
Ah well!
I phoned my local pharmacy a couple of weeks ago re the size of their non-latex gloves which had gone from normal to very large. So large that they slipped off my hands unless held in the air.
I forgot all about it but today received a letter saying that they'd notified the manufacturer and would let me know the outcome.
Enclosed was a £5 gift voucher.
That, ladies and gentlemen, was the highlight of my day. ?
I guess tonight I'll be trawling online for unseen programmes followed by an early night...again.???
Stay safe and indoors, not like the fools who jeopardize the rest of us who keep to the rules ??

fatgran57 Sun 29-Mar-20 06:22:54

Hello Rufus whose feathers have you ruffled nowconfused

Raining here in Tasmania and I haven't left the house all day. Hoping for a let-up later but it's probably a bit late to go walking.

Couldn't sleep very well last night so got up about 5am. Feeling a bit tired now - should have had a nanna nap but then I wouldn't sleep tonight!

Daughter who works at local supermarket tells me that from tomorrow customers will have to check out their items themselves and pack their own bags. We haven't been around there for a couple of weeks now - it will seem strange when we are allowed back.

The girls have been doing our shopping and also that of brother-in-law and his wife as they have no children to help them.

I find I don't know what day it is when I get up - have to really think as before the virus we had school pickups/drop-off several days a week so always kept track.

Keep well.