Chat

The goats of Llandudno!

(45 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 31-Mar-20 16:09:10

I wonder where they usually live?

They must be confused smile

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52103967

Septimia Tue 31-Mar-20 16:35:17

Apparently they usually live on the Great Orme and come down into the town when the weather is bad. Now they seem to be providing entertainment for everyone stuck indoors!

Callistemon Tue 31-Mar-20 16:48:53

grin

I wonder if they've contacted their cousins near Lynton to let them know they can eat to their hearts' content in people's gardens!

Urmstongran Tue 31-Mar-20 17:19:58

Two ducks have been coming to swim in our communal swimming pool each day! I sit on the balcony (Spain) and listen to the quacking.
?

Riverwalk Tue 31-Mar-20 17:25:55

Goats are known to be inquisitive - they're probably wondering what the heck is going on!

Chewbacca Tue 31-Mar-20 17:45:34

I was in Llandudno two weeks ago and you could see the Kashmir goats trekking along on the narrow paths half way up the Orme. The train and chairlift wasn't due to open to the public until this week anyway and so, whilst it's quiet, the goats come further and further down towards the town to eat the fresher grass. As the town gets busier with tourists; the goats go higher up. They're not shy of humans and when you go up the Orme on the train, or by foot, they can get very close.

CanadianGran Tue 31-Mar-20 18:22:33

Nice looking goats! I would be afraid for my plants though.

BradfordLass73 Wed 01-Apr-20 01:10:26

I'd be afraid for the goats. Goat curry is very popular.

fatgran57 Wed 01-Apr-20 04:59:45

Reminded me of the movie title "Men Who Stare at Goats".smile

They are lovely goats though.

Shows how quickly nature could take back over if people did disappear.

olliebeak Wed 01-Apr-20 11:02:06

I've been wondering about the pigeon population in our local towns ................

They're so used to our town centres being one continuous 'feeding station' - what with people sitting on benches eating their lunch, people who walk around eating pies/pasties/sausage rolls, those who sit outside coffee shops and leave them titbits plus those who feed them on a regular basis.

I KNOW that many people consider them to be 'vermin', but they must be REALLY confused. My 'downstairs neighbour' has had far more pigeons/seagulls/crows hanging around her bird feeding stations in the garden for a couple of weeks - luckily they can't actually get into the feeders that are designed for the much smaller birds.

Aepgirl Wed 01-Apr-20 11:11:19

I could do with some of those goats in my garden, but I don’t think they can be trained to only eat grass and weeds. Baaaa.

MawB Wed 01-Apr-20 11:20:07

I wondered if I had got the date wrong and perhaps yesterday was 1 April?

gillyjp Wed 01-Apr-20 11:27:24

They need to be careful I can see them ending up on someone's dinner plate!!

pamdixon Wed 01-Apr-20 11:32:25

made us all smile though!

Glosgran Wed 01-Apr-20 11:34:12

I think they were originally given as a gift to Queen Victoria from Kashmir. Maybe she passed them on to the people of Llandudno because she didn't want them eating up the plants in her palace gardens.

JuliaM Wed 01-Apr-20 11:36:59

The Goats along with a few sheep also live in the area around Craigside and the Little orme, we have spent many hours watching them over the years when we were staying at the Premier inn opposite, at the northern end of the seafront. They never cease to amaze me how they can climb up such sheer rock faces and balance on the tiniest of ledges whilst searching for food, amazing strength and balance they have which is apparantly aided by tye shape of their hooves!

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:38:23

Riverwalk : The goats normally live on the Great Orme that dominates Llandudno

They will certainly save on grass and hedge cutting!!

Chestnut Wed 01-Apr-20 11:44:38

I can imagine in Florida they have alligators and pythons coming into deserted towns!

Agreed, the London pigeons must be having a meltdown. And the seagulls in seaside towns too. The seagull parents will have to teach their children to actually go and find proper food instead of relying on tourist junk food. They have been getting very lazy in that respect.

3nanny6 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:50:47

They look sweet but are they frightened of people? I suppose they think that human life has disappeared and are now finding new places to find food.
Perhaps someone can get two or three around to my garden
they could enjoy some good grazing there and there is plenty of bush surrounding the grass.

HootyMcOwlface Wed 01-Apr-20 11:51:23

I keep hearing this song in my head when I read about these Goats

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2oXzrnti4

rowanflower0 Wed 01-Apr-20 12:35:24

I'd sooner have goats come to town, than alligators or bears!

3nanny6 Wed 01-Apr-20 12:40:02

When I go on the phone to family I always say I am taking the dogs for a walk into the ghost town I keep hearing that song as well. At last some humans were walking about yesterday what a relief.

silverlining48 Wed 01-Apr-20 12:44:06

There was something about the goats on t4 today. Apparently they are nosey creatures so want to see what’s going on with no one about . Apparently they are eating their way through gardens roses ? as well. Ouch!

Sassie1961 Wed 01-Apr-20 12:58:49

We love them. St David's Hospice is at the foot of the Great Orme, when my Dad was in there, the goats use to keep him entertained as his room looked out onto it. He really enjoyed watching their antics.

Iam64 Wed 01-Apr-20 13:42:13

They're stunning looking creatures, and curious -I wonder how they'll be encourage back on to the Gt Orme.