Gransnet forums

Chat

16000 new staff required for new Excel Hospital

(36 Posts)
BabyLayla Wed 01-Apr-20 09:09:09

I’m watching the BBC news and it’s been reported that the new Coronavirus hospital will need 16000 staff when it opens, just wondering where they are all going to come from.
Very very worried as I know our NHS is short staffed at the best of time.
Praying for a miracle. Please stay safe and stick to the social distances recommended.

EllanVannin Wed 01-Apr-20 09:14:00

Putting the cart before the horse again---as usual !

Iam64 Wed 01-Apr-20 09:41:44

EllanVannin - are you suggesting this hospital shouldn't have been built?

Ellianne Wed 01-Apr-20 09:51:26

The problem here, and being from the area I can see it at first hand, is that staff simply can't afford to live in the locality. London property prices are sky high and transport into the city costs a fortune. It is very hard to recruit nurses, teachers etc. Also retired London doctors usually move away from the city. I'm guessing they will thin out the numbers of staff at surrounding hospitals and transfer a number of them over to the Excel?

annodomini Wed 01-Apr-20 10:00:54

From what I've heard, the Army is going to be involved with staffing the Nightingale Hospital. The other piece of news I read yesterday is that the most critical cases will be sent to the main hospitals who have critical care capacity and the less critical will be taken to the new hospitals.

Ellianne Wed 01-Apr-20 10:02:14

Yes and cancer patients to the private hospitals.

Ellianne Wed 01-Apr-20 10:03:31

I can see they're trying to group the different skills in different places. Majes sense.

trisher Wed 01-Apr-20 10:06:28

Boris &co have always been unable to count nurses. Doesn't surprise me that they never calculated staff before they announced this. Seems the army will be used all over the place. Not that many of them either.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Apr-20 10:09:48

Army personnel from overseas are being brought back to the UK at the moment.

eazybee Wed 01-Apr-20 10:10:29

I believe that there will be accommodation for workers to sleep on site; not ideal, but this is an emergency.

Ellianne Wed 01-Apr-20 10:19:02

And there are at least 3 very big empty hotels nearby normally used for exhibitions and City airport.

MawB Wed 01-Apr-20 10:22:26

It is so easy to KNOCK isn’t it?
Yes, shouty capitals, but instead of being pleased that this new facility is being built, why must there be the inevitable nay-sayers who know better?
This far from the “can-do” attitude we need to come through this sad

trisher Wed 01-Apr-20 10:22:49

GG13 if they are brought back won't they need to isolate for 14 days?

trisher Wed 01-Apr-20 10:24:52

MawB it isn't wrong to think there might be problems. It is wrong to announce something without the proper processes in place but then this is what this government has done consistently- Testing for instance.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Apr-20 10:28:48

I can only speak for the overseas unit I personally know of they have been in isolation on base, other details are classified.

vegansrock Wed 01-Apr-20 10:32:32

Cabin crew I think are being asked to help. I don’t think it is nay saying to ask where the staffing will come from. The powers that be just need to give us honest answers.

gillybob Wed 01-Apr-20 10:33:00

If there’s any “nurse counting” to be done they should bring in Diane Abbott it’s her speciality .... wink

Urmstongran Wed 01-Apr-20 10:40:32

Well said Maw!
?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Apr-20 10:48:06

When the Chinese Government built their "field hospital" I cannot remember anyone on GN querying where the staff where going to be found? All and sundry had nothing but praise.

These are unprecedented times, if you watch the news you would have seen the following St.Johns Ambulance Staff have been released from their "day jobs", EasyJet, Virgin Atlantic and BA first aid trained cabin crew are being asked to volunteer.

So easy to knock the UK all the time, but ready to praise "odious regimes"

EllanVannin Wed 01-Apr-20 10:51:12

No, Iam64. I'm meaning the many members of staff that will be needed to man it !

Urmstongran Wed 01-Apr-20 10:52:00

I think it must be a British ‘thing’ GG13 or because Boris is heading the government.

EllanVannin Wed 01-Apr-20 10:56:18

I didn't question China when they built their hospital because I was already aware that their population far outnumbers ours and the amount of staff needed wouldn't have been so difficult to find.

trisher Wed 01-Apr-20 10:58:17

It's because this government has succesively during this crisis announced things that aren't happening and some of us feel it's OK to question their assertions particularly when they know front line staff have been promised testing for weeks and it's still not in place. It is resulting in staff who might be working self isolating.Someone said on TV that one study showed only 15% of staff absent becuse of coughs tested positive. That's 85% who could have been working.

EllanVannin Wed 01-Apr-20 11:03:06

Blimey, things are bad enough without someone leaping in with an inflammatory question---- a twisted one at that as I didn't say the hospital shouldn't have been built ! ( rolls eyes )

Because of the lack of testing on NHS staff and given that they're in the thick of it, they'll be lucky that most of the staff aren't off sick !! Testing should have been the first priority. I posted about this weeks ago.

Urmstongran Wed 01-Apr-20 11:03:26

It could also be said that the government are putting as positive a spin on things as is possible so as not to frighten us. What good would more gloom and doom do right now?

I’m sure all concerned are working incredibly hard to put in place what they can and when they can.