Gransnet forums

Chat

Wedding dress storage help please

(9 Posts)
thisisnotme Wed 01-Apr-20 10:51:37

Daughter and partner decided end of February to get married at the end of July. Now we have the current situation and obviously no idea if the wedding will go ahead in July.

My dilemma is I have her wedding dress. It’s from Monsoon and came with its own padded hanger, long plastic bag and a separate outer dust cover.
As it’s possible that I’ll have to store the dress until next year, I contacted Monsoon to ask if the plastic bag was acid free in which case I could leave it as is. Unfortunately the person I dealt with didn’t know the answer.
Will it be safe to remove the plastic cover (assuming it isn’t acid free) and leave it in the breathable dust cover only as the fabrics is entirely synthetic?

travelsafar Wed 01-Apr-20 10:54:09

Years ago people would wrap wedding dresses in a large white cotton sheet. Not sure if that helpssmile

J52 Wed 01-Apr-20 10:56:25

As you say remove the plastic and then I’d put a hanging moth repellent on the hanger, not touching the dress. Just to be on the safe side. Then I’d wrap it in a bedsheet to keep out the light, which might discolour the fabric.
Then I’d put the dust sheet over it.
If you’ve not got any moth repellents, I’m sure there’s some on the Internet.

Marydoll Wed 01-Apr-20 10:57:42

My daughter's wedding was cancelled last week and the wedding dress shop owner, advised us to store the dress in a double duvet cover and that's what I did!

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 01-Apr-20 10:58:26

My daughter wore my wedding dress (from 1971) in 2001, it had been stored in a box , wrapped in a 100% cotton sheet and then tissue paper, it was perfect when she wore it, we looked at it recently. It is still in its box with the same sheet and tissue paper, still perfect! I think for the short time you will be storing it, it will be fine. Just keep the dust off of it.

JuliaM Wed 01-Apr-20 11:16:01

Oh dear lol, Eau de Mothball perfume on the Brides wedding day, probably won’t be welcome!

If the dress is synthetic material, it’s unlikely to attract Moth damage as they much prefare natural fibres to feed on. I still have my Ronald Joyce wedding dress from 34 years ago hanging in my walk in wardrobe, just covered by its original dust bag and it’s fine. It’s cream polyester satin and lace, it no longer fits me, but l keep it for sentimental reasons. One of my Daughters has hinted that she would like to borrow it for her second marriage in a couple of years time.

I would not worry about storing your daughters dress for a few months more than planned, the chances are that it’s been in its original wrapper for over a year already, awaiting being sold.
A few more extra months will not make a difference, just keep it in a cool dry place, and away from any direct sunlight that may fade it.

thisisnotme Wed 01-Apr-20 11:24:13

Thanks all.
I’m now reassured that I’m not going to damage her dress accidentally.

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 11:26:38

If it was made of natural fabrics, I would suggest
Raid cards if the dress has any silk or cotton trim. A good airing afterwards would get rid of any smell which may linger. Better than finding it later with holes in it.
If it is all synthetic it should be fine but keep it away from he light.
A white sheet or, better still a duvet cover to cover it is a food idea

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 11:27:23

Sp!
Sorry
the and good