Gransnet forums

Chat

Humerous comments about government members

(44 Posts)
Dinahmo Wed 01-Apr-20 12:27:41

Various members of the government have been making a fist of things in the daily briefings. Below are some comments I though amusing

Raab and Hancock - both about as substantial as a fun size Milky Way

Gove is the spiv's spiv

If Gove and Johnson had a battle of lies, who would win?

Please add any amusing comments that you've read.

Calendargirl Wed 01-Apr-20 12:30:15

None of the above strike me as amusing.

Let them get on with their job, and cut out the sniping, nothing and no one is perfect, it’s easy to be a keyboard warrior and criticise things.

MawB Wed 01-Apr-20 12:44:14

Not all that humorous, I fear, but if they amuse you, keep em Cummings.

SalsaQueen Wed 01-Apr-20 13:20:23

Mediocre at best, Dinahmo.

Oopsminty Wed 01-Apr-20 13:21:50

I was looking forward to read something funny

wildswan16 Wed 01-Apr-20 13:36:31

Sorry, making fun of anyone who is trying to do their job, especially in a time of real crisis and worry (whether or not you agree with them) is very close to bullying in my opinion.

SueDonim Wed 01-Apr-20 13:38:07

?

Dinahmo Wed 01-Apr-20 19:47:35

wildswan something of an over reaction I think. I'm most certainly not making fun of any of the people working in the NHS and ancilliary workers.

If you look on the thread on News and Politics about the government lies you might understand what was behind my post. The government have lied.

The medical departments in universities and the labs in the hospitals have been working flat out to try to find an answer to this crisis.

Thousands of retired NHS staff have come out of retirement and some have already died. 25% of the NHS staff are self isolating. The Nightingale Hospital has been created in record time. it has 4000 beds but needs 16,000 staff. Where are they going to come from?

Just to remind you - CV - 19 was first identified in China in 2019. I'm fairly sure that most of us know that viruses, such as flu move from east to west. our government new about the epidemic. The WHO said that it was a public health emergency of international concern on 30 January. The first cases in France in the skiing chalet were reported on 24 January.

Our govt knew about the virus last December but were too busy with the election and getting Brexit done. By February
the situation was looking very serious but the government did not take any serious action.

Gove has said that there is a shortage of reagents but the Chemicals Industry Association have denied this - they have the materials.

This government could/should have started to acquire the necessary materials and equipment a lot sooner than they have done. I am a Labour supporter but I would not say that Labour would have better dealt with the crisis. However, the current government ministers are IMO generally incompetent and that i why i find those comments amusing.

Sussexborn Wed 01-Apr-20 20:02:03

If you look beyond the shock/horror headlines every government worldwide are trying to work out the best way forward. Sniping and sneering at this point is not helpful.

Once we come out the other side of this hopefully lessons will have been learned without unfair politically motivated criticism being levelled. I live in hope.

SueDonim Wed 01-Apr-20 20:04:10

Not really a joking matter, then. sad

Elegran Wed 01-Apr-20 20:17:35

I think they have finished with elections, Brexit etc for the time being and are now concentrating on dealing with the virus.

They are up against a new illness, and it is an uphill task to get everyone to co-operate with the plans they made to combat it. Whatever they do, they can't please all the people all of the time, and expecting the population to follow a difficult and unpopular course is a big ask for a nation not accustomed to obedience. Put last year aside and let them get on with making this week's difficult decisions and putting over the strategy and tactics to a difficult audience (while, in some cases, struggling themselves with the disease).

Hetty58 Wed 01-Apr-20 20:27:40

Sussexborn, you said:

'Once we come out the other side of this hopefully lessons will have been learned without unfair politically motivated criticism being levelled.'

They always say 'lessons will/have been learned' when they haven't/won't be. That phrase is now redundant and pointless.

My criticism is neither unfair nor politically motivated. This government are quite worthy of humour. They have failed to prepare, react or explain appropriately - or even honestly. To laugh (or cry) is a quite valid response!

lemongrove Wed 01-Apr-20 21:49:53

Dinahmo obvious from your previous posts on GN that you are not ( to put it mildly) a fan of a Conservative government, but there is nothing even mildly amusing at poking fun at government figures in the daily briefing on Covid 19.
These are not normal times when sniping at the Opposition is a sort of game.

annodomini Wed 01-Apr-20 22:15:23

Dinahmo, whatever you or anyone else might say about our government Trump trumps the lot of them.

MawB Wed 01-Apr-20 22:55:15

Not an over-reaction Dinahmo but not even remotely amusing.
Certainly not humorous

paddyanne Thu 02-Apr-20 00:14:59

Nothing funny about the English governments handling of this ,its tragic.They knew for weeks it was coming and made no efforts to prpare for it.The newsreader on BBC today was STUNNED nd confused by the news that there would be 30 thats THIRTY ventilaters arriving by the weekend.
Over 2000 deaths ....I'll leave that with you .Lets see how many more tomorrow brings
Bojo the clown is in hiding and his circus is lying daily to the public.Problem is none of them are as good at lying as he is..they change their story by the hour .
Congratulations to the voting public in England look what you saddled yourself with.Its YOUR families and friends who are dying because of this governments policies and incompetence

Dinahmo Thu 02-Apr-20 19:17:46

Lemongrove I did point out that I am a LP supporter so obviously I'm not a fan of the Tory government. Perhaps you should rephrase your final sentence - the Tories are not the opposition. To be clear I assume that you meant to write that sniping by the Opposition is not a sort of game.

Regretfully the Cabinet has not handled this crisis at all well and it needs to be pointed out.

Luckylegs Thu 02-Apr-20 19:33:22

I am a lifelong Conservative but I am severely disappointed in how the government has (not) handled this whole thing. They just assumed we’d be ok, as the virus was in China, didn’t take it seriously. I remember someone saying it was just like a bad cold etc etc.

I don’t know if anyone else would have done any better but surely we can expect better than this. I do feel that we are just being left to get on with all this and those who die, well, just too bad. I feel so sorry for the doctors and nurses with no protection and as for the downright lies about number of tests, ventilators etc, I am disgusted!

We shouldn’t be lied to, we should be told that we weren’t prepared properly and therefore we haven’t got the equipment etc. We’re told weeks ago that 10,000 tests a day would take place very soon, then up to 25,000 tests, now it turns out we hadn’t even ordered them! A buyer in a small factory could have done a more efficient job to procure what we needed!

I have never ever criticised or posted anything political but I do feel we are up the creek without a paddle and I despair who has got a paddle!

Callistemon Thu 02-Apr-20 19:44:50

Quite honestly, Dinahmo, I find your OP quite offensive.

Now, I am not a Tory voter, nor did I ever think that Boris would be PM, nor do I find things offensive normally.

But this time I do.

Don't you live in France btw?

Callistemon Thu 02-Apr-20 19:46:23

Thousands of retired NHS staff have come out of retirement and some have already died. 25% of the NHS staff are self isolating. The Nightingale Hospital has been created in record time. it has 4000 beds but needs 16,000 staff. Where are they going to come from?
So - is your attempt at humour in the least funny?

No, it isn't.

Jane10 Thu 02-Apr-20 20:14:08

I certainly isn't in the least bit amusing.

trisher Thu 02-Apr-20 20:23:08

Raab and Hancock sounds like a very dodgy firm of solicitors to me.
Gove is just relishing the time Boris is in isolation and trying to pretend he isn't.
I'd back Boris in the battle of lies. He's had so much more practice. (Has he really got the virus??)
Amazing that you're not allowed to make jokes about things. There has always been a British tradition of finding the funny side.
Preaching never helps

Calendargirl Thu 02-Apr-20 20:33:20

paddyanne

Boris has the virus, he is not in hiding, I think your remarks about him being a clown are juvenile and pathetic.

MawB Thu 02-Apr-20 20:58:09

There has always been a British tradition of finding the funny side
Precisely, the key word being funny .

NotSpaghetti Thu 02-Apr-20 21:05:59

At the risk of being shot down in flames:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWPdlbAXSVo