Gransnet forums

Chat

Delivery firms, online ordering dilemma.

(32 Posts)
Artdecogran Wed 01-Apr-20 18:21:22

I read today that delivery firms are stressed that people are still ordering inessential items. I can understand why, but if we don’t order then surely the firms will go bust with no income. I’ve ordered things for the garden like seeds and compost as I’ve just moved to a house with a totally paved over garden and growing vegetables might be a good idea. What is essential to one person won’t be essential to another. We have to keep busy or we will go nuts. What do you think/are doing?

Gaunt47 Wed 01-Apr-20 18:31:09

I shall continue to order things on line until it's banned, and I don't think that's going to happen.

Hetty58 Wed 01-Apr-20 18:42:01

I think it's fine to order online - if you order sensibly.

I do wonder, though, if the panic buyers/hoarder, those now throwing out rotting food for the binmen, have moved on to buying up loads of stuff online?

GagaJo Wed 01-Apr-20 18:47:42

Some companies have closed. If they don’t want orders, they can close for the duration. OR accept orders with a proviso that they’re only being filled after the crisis is over.

I ordered play doh with my grocery order this week. It arrived with no problem.

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 18:56:18

Some firms are out of stock of many items anyway, as they are not getting supplies through.

It is very worrying; how many will survive?

BlueBelle Wed 01-Apr-20 19:01:23

No slots here for any deliveries

Artdecogran Wed 01-Apr-20 19:48:13

Blue belle, I was thinking more along the lines of ebay traders, or other traders like Argos, amazon etc, not the big supermarkets.

vegansrock Wed 01-Apr-20 19:50:21

I’ve ordered two cases of wine. Some might say that’s inessential.....

Nanabanana1 Wed 01-Apr-20 19:56:24

Not me vegansrock ?

Greeneyedgirl Wed 01-Apr-20 20:00:24

Not me vegansrock. Hope it's vegan grin. But.....
I am mindful of the people working in less than optimum safe conditions to fulfil non essential orders on line.

Harris27 Wed 01-Apr-20 20:03:21

I’ve ordered wool and knitting patterns and needles
To keep me occupied and focused. I need something to distract me from all of this.

anniezzz09 Wed 01-Apr-20 20:06:44

Ordering vegetable seeds, you'll be lucky. I tried to order some online today and every site was either not taking any more orders because they were too busy or were sold out.

SirChenjin Wed 01-Apr-20 20:16:38

I’ve been debating this as well after reading about the awful treatment of Amazon and Argos concessions staff by their companies. I’ve decided to cut back my orders to zero wherever possible until Sainsbury’s and Amazon improve their working conditions.

annodomini Wed 01-Apr-20 21:19:53

I've had success in ordering seeds and seedlings from Ebay producers who often have more interesting varieties than the big name companies. Got a lovely mint plant this week, now growing fast and looks promising!

Pikachu Wed 01-Apr-20 21:27:32

I’ve ordered vegetable seeds online this afternoon.

HAZBEEN Wed 01-Apr-20 21:34:45

I have just ordered online a fridge/freezer for my elderly neighbour and it was delivered today. Her freezer packed in on Saturday and she lost a lot of food. I had to put 2 full bags in the bin for her. Not a single freezer to be had anywhere so had to order a combi. At least now we can stock her back up with essentials. The 2 men who delivered were great about keeping their distance.

GabriellaG54 Wed 01-Apr-20 22:09:13

I ordered from Amazon last night.
Parcel arrived today at 13.51.

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 22:13:37

I suppose it depends what you order.

Home crafts, seeds, jigsaws, games, all are in short supply or out of stock on many sites or there is wajt.

Obviously the firms are having to work to new rules and some staff may not be able to work.

FlexibleFriend Wed 01-Apr-20 22:30:40

I'm ordering pretty much as I've done for years due to lack of mobility, I have a few deliveries every week. I try to order them together but they still arrive separately.

BlueBelle Wed 01-Apr-20 22:36:36

I ve ordered some earrings for my daughters birthday , a garden trough for vegies in case I can’t get to the allotment
Tomorrow I have to order a new charger for my iPad because I accidentally washed mine in the washing machine today it must have got muddled up with the washing It looks lovely and clean but I m scared to plug it in and I m running low on my vitamins so must buy some of them

TwiceAsNice Wed 01-Apr-20 22:36:47

I have ordered birthday cards and presents for family who have birthdays in April and first week of May. They are taking longer than usual to come . Ordered some Easter chocolate at the same time and that is going to take longer than usual to come

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 22:40:35

Bluebelle grin
That reminds me of the time I washed DH's wallet!

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Apr-20 22:42:43

My local Sainsbury’s had a stand in the fruit and veg. section with packets of vegetable seeds. There were some left but folk had clearly snapped up a lot of them.

Lollin Wed 01-Apr-20 22:42:54

I would feel guilty about ordering right now but at the same time wonder how people employed in the areas concerned are managing financially if no-one orders online. Fortunately I've been very happy to find the companies I've been interested to order from are not taking orders right now. Happy to look for now and looking forward to the prospect of ordering when (fingers-crossed) things are better.

Eloethan Thu 02-Apr-20 00:44:49

What difference does it make if they are inessential? Who or what would it cause a problem to?