Gransnet forums

Chat

Will today's younger generation start to grow there own

(83 Posts)
12Michael Fri 03-Apr-20 10:51:02

Considering the closeness to a war like situation although this time its a bug or sorts.
Will today's young family's , if they have a house and land with enough room to start to grow there own vegetable crops in order to survive.
And seeing and eating something they have produced themselves and not off a supermarket shelf
Mick

notanan2 Fri 03-Apr-20 10:58:16

Where? A garden or even a balcontis a massive luxury/privilidge these days

notanan2 Fri 03-Apr-20 10:58:28

Balcony

MawB Fri 03-Apr-20 10:59:05

I think many do, Mick my DD and SIL in London with a pocket handkerchief garden have an allotment (but of course cannot go and tend it because it would mean driving there and that is not a permitted journey) and another DD and SIL were out planting veggies with DGS earlier this week.
Allotments are very popular (not to say trendy) among the 30-40 somethings especially those in flats or with tiny gardens!
I might have a go at some tomatoes in a gro-bag or “cut and come again” salad leaves myself.

MawB Fri 03-Apr-20 11:00:57

Notanan it is amazing what you can grow in pots etc on a balcony but of course it helps if it is facing the right way.
Strawberries, chillis, tomatoes, even potatoes I believe!

notanan2 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:03:54

Balconies come at a HUGE premium around here

You have to be pretty well off anyway to have a balcony

And even if you do not all are suitable for growing on. Some are in wind funnels where its dangerous to have pots on them etc

Callistemon Fri 03-Apr-20 11:07:25

I think many young people have done this, if they don't have the space then some have allotments.
DS made raised beds, one DD grows things in tubs as she has limited space.
The others have a large veg plot and provide food for the nation.

Callistemon Fri 03-Apr-20 11:08:20

We have bags for garden waste and some grow potatoes in them as they are quite deep.

Callistemon Fri 03-Apr-20 11:09:29

Mick - if, of course, anyone can get seeds!

Hetty58 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:12:29

Our nearest local allotments were closed many years ago. Why? As we're right on the edge of London, near the M11, a university studied the plants growing there. They were dangerously contaminated with lead and other pollutants. I have a list of what I can grow in the garden - and what I can't!

MawB Fri 03-Apr-20 11:13:06

Just saying Notanan - of course many young couple have no access to outdoor space and as I said, allotments come at a premium but they are very popular and many people of all ages will enjoy their tiny bit of “digging for victory” (even if it is chillis in the window box!)

MawB Fri 03-Apr-20 11:14:19

Oh dear Hetty my DD’s allotment is in Waltham Forest, possibly not far from where you are talking about. ??

notanan2 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:22:00

Maw as callisemon said, most who can, already do!

Allotments have waiting lists that are YEARS long anyway so clearly there has always been the will just not the means.

No young people were never less inclined to grow things. Before, during or after this.

Its a massive massive luxury/privilidge to have growing space. A privilidge young people are less likely to have than my generation

gillybob Fri 03-Apr-20 11:24:10

I’ve had my name down for an allotment for 8 years ! No chance of ever getting one as they change hands for “back handers” if you know what I mean . Instead of handing them back. You need to know someone who wants rid and then be prepared to pay them .

Elderflower2 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:24:49

I have a back garden but it is contaminated land and I wouldn't eat a thing grown in it. Oddly, there are allotments all around and a source of water on one, very risky. Not sure the allotment holders are aware, maybe they are and don't care,.

notanan2 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:29:48

Our nearest allotment (for my neighbours who dont have gardens) IF you somehow managed to get up the list. Is a drive away. Or bus plus LONG walk.

And being so far away keeps you at the bottom of the list anyway because prioritu is given to people who live in that (already affluent) area.

So you need to:
-Already live in a naice area that has allotments (meaning many allotment owners there have gardens ^as well^)
- Not move for about a decade so that you can stay on the list (how many renters can keep their address static or stay in exact areas?)
- Have a car! The allotments are off a national speed limit road thats not safe to walk down and it isnt served by buses.

Hetty58 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:32:10

MawB, I'm in Redbridge. Have they had their plants and soil tested? We shouldn't grow lettuce in our local soil.

Did you know that asbestos was still being used in cars up to 2004?

Callistemon Fri 03-Apr-20 11:33:10

I didn't actually say that. I said many have but I should qualify that by saying many I know of.
They may be doing more now, and as Mick suggests, many more may try this year.

MawB Fri 03-Apr-20 11:41:34

Well I bow to your superior knowledge Notanan
Idnt think of Walthamstow as a “naice” area and the gardens are smaller than most people’s living rooms from what I have seen!
Some areas do have a long waiting list, but some people are clearly lucky.
I do think it would be nice if a perfectly reasonable and cheerful OP wasn’t shouted down by cries of “Impossible! Privilege! Luxury!” though sad

Callistemon Fri 03-Apr-20 11:54:21

Privilege! Naice areas! Need a car! Contamination!

What next- only Tories have gardens? Privilege has its gardens?
ROFL

Please, Jeremy Corbyn, come and give some tips on what to grow in a window box.

Never mind Mick it was a naice nice try and a lovely positive thought

curvygran Fri 03-Apr-20 11:55:57

Now the garden centres are closed it’s almost impossible to get multipurpose compost anywhere, so not very encouraging for people to grow vegetables in pots, sadly .

Callistemon Fri 03-Apr-20 11:57:07

Ours will deliver.

Plant in a drain pipe and stand near a radiator

eazybee Fri 03-Apr-20 11:59:28

My daughter sent me pictures today of 'vegetables,' not sure what, she is growing from seed.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 03-Apr-20 12:03:37

All our AC grow veggies etc. with the GC the one in a flat has a communal garden where a bit has been sectioned off for veggies, they also grow herbs in pots on window sills.

We grow tomatoes in hanging baskets and are fortunate to have a large vegetable/salad trug for growing as well as various pots.

It takes a little bit of lateral thinking without a balcony/garden but most people have window sills.

notanan2 Fri 03-Apr-20 12:09:19

Well I bow to your superior knowledge Notanan

Its not "superior knowledge" its just the way it is for people who live near me and don't have gardens/balconies. And with so many flat dwellers having to run dehumidifiers full time, window sill growing is still the preserve of people in better properties.

Those of us who already grow things arent more motivated than those who dont. We just have the means.