Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Evening Friday

(3 Posts)
Rufus2 Fri 03-Apr-20 13:20:39

Winter drawers on again! Daylight saving ends this weekend and so does Autumn according to this evening's forecast. Thinking of of emulating my granddaughters tortoise, "Joe" and hibernating until it's all over, but not in the frig., thank you! hmm
Megs If my memory serves me right, I think "B&Q" is your equivalent of Bunnings and presumably there wasn't enough room for two hardware behemoths.
Paradoxically, Woolies tried to compete here with a look-alike giant hardware chain of stores, but couldn't compete. Now it's Bunnings and nowt! Can't go past their sausage sizzles though as they are run by schools and sports clubs; not exactly an athletes diet, but who cares!?

fatgran You can't really blame tour guides who, after all, are only trying to earn a crust! I'd blame the tourists for not having any common sense. Always looked on in horror at the sight of modern cruises with 3,000 passengers and 1500 crew threading their way up the Rhine or wherever! Not much chance of that now! hmm

Jane10 wherefore art thou? Received the April issue of "The Oldie" today and noticed ads for future lunches! confused Seeing as how they had to pull the rug from under your feet by cancelling the March lunch because of Corvid19, and to which you were lucky enough to score an invitation, I'm surprised they haven't scrubbed the rest for the duration. The April lunch could be interesting with "Virginia Nicholson" "How Was It for You? Women, Sex, Love and Power in the 1960s" wink

See that the ad for "The Matron" has returned! Last time I looked at her website www.the-matron.com I wasn't sure if she'd be interested in joining Gransnet! That could encourage more Granddads to join! grin
I won't look just now because this fragile messaging service usually deletes itself when I try that!
It was very nice to see on telly all the applause for the NHS nurses and others! A reminder of VE celebrations and I suppose street parties will return when hugging and kissing are allowed again. (in public!) blush

Annie You (and Fred!) may not be "on", but get a copy of "The Oldie" to see an interesting article on mobility scooters!
It's in a supplement called "Growing Old Disgracefully" and is quite funny as well as informative.
Well, I've got a bonus hour in hand, but with other matters on hand and not wishing to ear-bash you for too long, I'd better say,
Good Health and Cheers! wine

farview Fri 03-Apr-20 13:50:04

Rufus..I love Bunnings..far superior to our B&Q...take care..

fatgran57 Sat 04-Apr-20 04:34:28

Hello Rufus - re the cruise ships, they were still coming into Burnie well after they weren't allowed into Asia and Tasmanians were really concerned about this. Being a small island with a small population it would not take much to wipe a great many of us out.

Terrible to read today that two young nurses in England have died from the virus, both leaving behind young children.

This is my personal nightmare, that my family could die from this virus, both working in supermarkets, still no protective gear as none is available.

They are obviously very frightened.

Wet again here today but meant to fine up later in the week.Must remember to put the clocks back but I don't suppose it would matter much if I forgot!

No seaweed gathering again, plenty of police patrols so they would maybe have to taser me and drag me from the shoregrin

When you mentioned Nevil Shute the other day I remembered I had a stash of Arthur Upfield novels out in the shed. I have brought them in for when my library books are finished.

Used to enjoy Nevil Shute and Arthur Upfield.

Having five glazed bookcases plus seven or eight open ones I will not be short of books however! Always been a reader from an early age, never bored if there is a book to read.

Keep well Rufus wine