Gransnet forums

Chat

Bored now

(21 Posts)
watermeadow Sat 04-Apr-20 09:59:46

I’ve done everything I need to or, to be honest, everything I don’t mind doing. I’m bored now and want something enjoyable to keep myself busy.
Not Netflix or DIY or knitting. Not housework or writing a novel or learning Icelandic.
Suggestions please!

Eglantine21 Sat 04-Apr-20 10:11:40

Sex?

Jane43 Sat 04-Apr-20 10:17:53

DH likes a colouring in app he has on his laptop, keeps him occupied for ages.

lefthanded Sat 04-Apr-20 10:22:01

We give ourselves one significant task every day - things that under normal circumstances we wouldn't have time to do. Yesterday's task was to completely clean out the fishtank (which involves decanting the fish into a temporary tank, removing and rinsing the gravel, then replacing everything including the fish). That took us most of the day. Today we are having a day off (well it is Saturday after all). Haven't thought about tomorrow yet.

Witzend Sat 04-Apr-20 10:35:58

I know a fish tank is a major job, lefthanded.
I can’t say I miss having to do that. For many years a dd had a huge tank in her bedroom, which had to stay after she left home. It was several years before the last of the fish died. But even years later I still sometimes think ‘must feed the fish’ when I pass her room.

OP, how about a 2nd hand musical instrument and a teach-yourself book/YouTube. Recorders are cheap!

I’m glad of my piano, which admittedly was somewhat neglected before all this kicked off. I might just come out the other end of this with one or two pieces marginally more polished than they’ve ever been.

M0nica Sat 04-Apr-20 11:15:31

watermeadow It is a cliche to say that boredom is a state of mind, but it is true. I speak from experience. Your OP is a classic example of this: full of all the things you do not want to do.

Why not turn your thinking round and you start to think of things you would like to do.

Rosalyn69 Sat 04-Apr-20 11:29:37

I don’t have time to be bored. Cleaning. Cooking. Crochet. Dog walking. Pilates. Reading. TV in the evening.
That said I would like some meals out and coffee and actual shopping.
But the husband always worked away so I’m used to being home alone although he’s retired now.

watermeadow Sat 04-Apr-20 12:51:02

MOnica, I can’t do any of the things I’d like to do, that’s why I’m asking what others are doing while we can’t go out.
My fish are in a pond and don’t need attention. My piano was sold last year and whilst I can play a recorder, the windows are open and I’m thinking of my neighbours!
As for sex, I’ve forgotten how.

Boz Sat 04-Apr-20 13:47:08

You could read through your Spam folder.

NotAGran55 Sat 04-Apr-20 13:48:35

What type of things do you normally like to do for fun OP ?

Teacheranne Sat 04-Apr-20 13:57:23

I'm the same as the OP, there is a limit to how much crochet, crafting, reading, TV watching or housework I can do!

I think I'm going to explore some of the new opportunities online that I keep reading about - any suggestions/links appreciated.

Like watching videos of plays fron the National Theate, museum walk throughs, tourist attractions around the world, learning new crafts or skills etc.

I know what I don't want to do ( learn a language, new recipes or musical instrument) but am prepared to be open minded.

vampirequeen Sat 04-Apr-20 20:13:30

It's bound to get boring. We're not used to be trapped inside. I have no qualms in saying, "I'm bored". We're following the rules because we have to not because we want to. We know that if we stick together we can flatten the curve and lockdown can eventually be lifted and if we don't then the NHS will be overwhelmed and even more people will die. Knowing and doing the right thing doesn't stop me from being bored. I'm keeping busy but it's not by doing things I particularly enjoy. It's more a case of passing time and keeping busy.

Greymar Sat 04-Apr-20 20:30:39

Everything apart from a tiny circle outside your home has been removed. Friends, classes, shopping,the urge to jump on the car and take off, and yet we are meant to morph into something from a Jane Austen novel.

Oopsminty Sat 04-Apr-20 20:35:22

It's a very boring time. Difficult. Trying.

The coloring in app mentioned above keeps me busy for hours.

However I sometimes feel like hurling my phone across the room

Cherrytree59 Sat 04-Apr-20 21:03:44

Via YouTube I am listening to old radio plays , mainly ones that had been broadcast by the BBC radio.
I have listened to several old Agatha Christie plays where Misss Marple is played by June Whitfield '(sp?')

I have also enjoyed a few quirky old radio dramas at bedtime also via YouTube.

I do sympathise Watermeadow I seem to fluctuate between a day with plenty of activity including daily excercise and housework or gardening to virtually a state comatose as in today.
Where I have achieved Nada, zilch.
Even lost on the virtual Grand National
No housework, gardening, diy etc etc.
I feel like a sloth .

So tomorrow I will make an effort at least in the garden.
If we get the promised mini heatwave ??

I have the urge to scratch a daily tally onto the wall next to my cell front door.

Chewbacca Sat 04-Apr-20 21:07:16

I've got plenty that I could be doing but I can't seem to get myself motivated. I've never been a procrastinator before but now I just look at the jobs that I could be doing and think, oh, I'll do it tomorrow.

Gingster Sat 04-Apr-20 21:14:15

I must say I have enjoyed every day of isolation. No demands on me , no travelling on crowded roads, no pressure to accept invitations, no pressure to entertain. No childminding, (I do love my GC. ) . I’m looking at this time as having a breather from real life. Just doing or not doing anything I fancy.

Pikachu Sat 04-Apr-20 21:15:22

Boz that’s a very good idea. I did just that (read thru my spam folder) best laugh I’d had this week.

But can anyone enlighten me .... what exactly happens in a penile extension? Do they somehow stretch it or insert something or inflate it?

I’ve really no idea.

vampirequeen Sat 04-Apr-20 21:29:47

It is a contraption that is fitted to the end of the penis and stretches it. The man wears it for six hours a day. Eventually the penis is supposed to get longer.

I kid you not.

phallogauge.com/penis-extender/how-to-use-a-penis-extender/

Chewbacca Sat 04-Apr-20 21:37:21

Every day's a school day! Thanks vampirequeen.

grannyrebel7 Sat 04-Apr-20 21:42:04

Sounds very painful smile