Gransnet forums

Chat

Writing a diary

(11 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 05-Apr-20 08:42:15

Anyone doing this while in lockdown. I keep thinking about it but that is as far as i get, thought it may be interesting in years to come to pass on to family as a part of social history.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 05-Apr-20 08:46:34

Yes I am, I started it on the last day I went out (Wednesday 18th March). I list what I have done, how I feel, what we eat etc.

Grandma70s Sun 05-Apr-20 08:50:29

I’ve always kept a diary, just general wafflings about life. I have wondered whether it would be a good idea to keep a special one for the Covid19 experience, because it is, as you say, particularly interesting social history. On the other hand, it’s difficult to write anything interesting about doing absolutely nothing!

tanith Sun 05-Apr-20 09:22:59

I started on day one but they were repetitive and boring I’ve not done it for a week now.

Franbern Sun 05-Apr-20 09:29:05

Yes, I am keeping a daily blog - it is rather meandering, but gives me a ten minute something to do, and may be of interest in the future. Of course, not writing, it is all on word on my laptop.
It is interesting to see how my feelings have already undergone a change. I was so very miserable at first, and have now largely adapted to my new reality. Think I was in mourning for what should have been this Spring. Now am accepting it.

Urmstongran Sun 05-Apr-20 09:43:10

I’ve kept a ‘daily diary’ for the last 31 years and yet right now I’m not keeping one! Can’t be bothered. Strange - it’s not as though I don’t have plenty of time.

I did think I ought to have kept a ‘coronovirus journal’ which might have been of interest to the grandchildren in the years to come. Family interactions and feelings etc.

Jane10 Sun 05-Apr-20 09:44:56

I'm writing a diary for the Mass Observation Archive. They were looking for people to do this. It's all confidential and details of writers are not released for 50 years so we should be OK.

Eglantine21 Sun 05-Apr-20 10:01:10

Oh like Housewife 49, Jane10. What an interesting thing to do.

JoyBloggs Sun 05-Apr-20 10:08:07

Yes, I'm doing it, I think it will be very interesting for the family in the future. Most of us have had to dramatically change our entire way of life in an incredibly short time and the impact will vary from one family to another. A diary of the effects on our own family should be a valuable addition to the published history books. I'm just scribbling away each evening on paper, but hope to eventually handwrite it out neatly and then print and bind copies for all my children.

I didn't start my diary till a couple of weeks ago so I'll just do a synopsis of the early days of the crisis based on what I can remember. This will include a particulary bizarre outing before we had to stay at home... the celebration of DD2's birthday and our grandson's birthday (born on his mum's birthday). We drove 50 miles to their house. Phoned to let them know when we were nearly there. Put their presents on the step, retreated to the pavement. They then opened the door, unwrapped the presents, we had a laugh and a chat, took some pics and came home. No tea, no cake, no candles, just lots of lovely smiling faces and seeing the photos in my phone is a reminder of what now seems like 'the good old days' when we could just jump in the car and go and look at them and laugh with them 'in the flesh'! Many families will have had similarly unusual celebrations which won't be in the 'proper' history books, but which should be of interest to future generations.

M0nica Sun 05-Apr-20 11:30:57

Yes, I am doing it. Nt just daily events but how I feel and comments on events outside home.

I have been trying to encourage 12 year old DGD to write one because I think a diary from someone her age would be of particular interest.

ninathenana Sun 05-Apr-20 11:41:36

Got up washed dressed, had breakfast, cleared up, watched a bit of TV. Did crossword and jigsaw..........
ditto
ditto
ditto
Not worth the bother for me