Gransnet forums

Chat

My Husband has started COOKING!!

(14 Posts)
Craftycat Mon 06-Apr-20 11:08:41

He has never shown any interest in this before but yesterday he announced he had seen a nice recipe online & wanted to have a go!
He made a Jamie Oliver Sausage Bake & it was very nice.
Mind you he did start making it at 6.30 & we ate at 9pm but at least he is showing willing.
I used to teach cookery & sugarcraft & I love cooking so he has always said he would happily leave anything 'kitcheny' to me.
He is now going through my books to see what else he can tackle. He fancies a cake next apparently.
I doubt this fad will last long but it is nice while it lasts.
A friend of mine said her DH wanted to do the ironing & I cut the hedge yesterday ( his job or 'get a man in' usually)
Isn't it funny how this weird time is making us all do unusual things.

Callistemon Mon 06-Apr-20 11:34:37

Every cloud has a silver lining, as my mother used to say.

Teetime Mon 06-Apr-20 11:40:45

That is good news my DH hasn't got this bug yet sadly but saying that when he has done some things the kitchen is a distaster zone.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 06-Apr-20 11:41:05

I’ll be even more impressed if you tell us that he also cleaned up after he had finished?
DH said he wants to start cooking when he retires, seeing the mess he has made getting some bread and cheese, I hope it isn’t any time soon.

Lucca Mon 06-Apr-20 12:02:17

“Isnt it funny how this weird time is making us all do unusual things.“

Isn’t it a bit funny that in 2020 husband cooking is considered unusual?!

sodapop Mon 06-Apr-20 13:01:54

Let's not go down this road again, it caused a lot of problems last time.

merlotgran Mon 06-Apr-20 13:20:43

I wish my DH would cook but then I suppose I'd be lumbered with cleaning up the kitchen.

He has started behaving weirdly though. Yesterday he laid the table for lunch. shock grin

Lucca Mon 06-Apr-20 14:03:27

Soda pop, what road is that ?

Lucca Mon 06-Apr-20 14:05:25

All,I mean is, my partner cooks for himself, both my sons cook, both my brothers cook, and several friends.

tinaf1 Mon 06-Apr-20 14:08:07

Wish mine would his only contribution to a meal is eating it ?

Elderflower2 Mon 06-Apr-20 14:09:24

Funny how it's the wife's domain until the husband is bored wink

Urmstongran Mon 06-Apr-20 14:35:40

Lucca I think the OP just meant that for her husband it was unusual behaviour i.e. the fact that up until now HE has shown no interest in cooking. Nothing to do with how many OTHER males enjoy it!

Missfoodlove Mon 06-Apr-20 16:01:55

Fantastic, I would be less surprised if my husband cane down stairs wearing one of my frocks and full make up than if he offered to cook ?

HAZBEEN Mon 06-Apr-20 16:39:44

My OH does all the cooking of meals but I do the baking. He went through a phase of baking but he didnt really enjoy it so leaves it to me. He has always cooked, well since he was made to do domestic science with the girls at school because he misbehaved to much in metalwork!
When we first got together I was working as a cook in a bar/restaurant in Spain so he said it was only fair I shouldnt have to cook when I got home!