Gransnet forums

Chat

Sod’s law (fruit and veg deliveries)

(6 Posts)
Witzend Tue 07-Apr-20 13:16:40

Several times lately I’ve ordered a fruit and veg box from the milkman (we’ve had doorstep deliveries for years) but they’ve never arrived.

Last week dh heard about a company that normally supplies restaurants, but is now offering home deliveries within a certain Home Counties radius. So he ordered a couple, which arrived yesterday - really big boxes with a mass of all sorts, nice and fresh.

I had yet another box pre ordered from the milkman for today, but didn’t cancel since I never expected it to arrive - guess what??

I did offer to share with elderly neighbours but they’re well supplied with supermarket deliveries.

Never fear, though, none of it will be wasted!

AGAA4 Tue 07-Apr-20 15:35:15

Frustrating but more better than less!

Hetty58 Tue 07-Apr-20 15:42:35

I was already with Abel and Cole but ordered from the milkman too. Now I'm eating my way through a huge vegetable stew (I froze half in portions) with daily additions to make it 'different'.

annodomini Tue 07-Apr-20 16:48:59

A meat company in Macclesfield will deliver fresh vegetables, some fruit, dairy products, and fish. Not a meat eater, but I tried an order last week and am very satisfied with the quality of the items I received. I made soup with some parsnips yesterday and processed a kilo of carrots for freezing as soon as they arrived. I need hardly add that I washed everything thoroughly and sprayed the packaging with bleach before I opened it.

SueDonim Tue 07-Apr-20 17:39:16

You’ll be like me in a couple weeks, Witzend. Tonight we’re having a soup made from sundry items of leftover veg garnered from the back of the fridge. grin

Bathsheba Tue 07-Apr-20 19:20:42

This afternoon I made a huge dish of mixed veg, much of it decidedly tired, stirred in a tin of pinto beans and a good portion of wholemeal fusilli, then poured about 3/4 pint of cheese sauce over it before popping it in the oven.

In the meantime all the vegetable peelings, including onion skins, were popped in another pan, covered with water and have been simmering away for several hours, making a vegetable stock, which I will reduce right down once strained.

Feeling quite virtuous, not wasting anything in these challenging times wink