Gransnet forums

Chat

Just upset a lot of people in Sainsburys!!

(22 Posts)
Craftycat Wed 08-Apr-20 12:07:30

When I got to Sainsbury's this morning the queue to get in was right round the outside of the very large car park.
It had to be done so I started queuing. About half way round we were under some trees & I started sneezing as did the lady behind me.
Now I KNOW I get very bad hay fever & tree pollen starts me off but the rest of the queue didn't know this. The lady behind & I realised we both had the same problem but I noticed that the queue behind her & in front of me had moved as far away from us as possible.
We did then call out that it was OK & we had hay fever but I don't think anyone believed us as they still tried to keep as far away as possible which meant they were actually far too close to the people near them.
I felt like a Pariah but at least we were the ones queuing safely.
I got hay fever tablets from the Pharmacy while I was in there. I'm sure sneezing is NOT a symptom of Corono Virus but maybe I'm wrong.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:10:28

Most of us in our immediate family suffer from hay fever so I understand where you are coming from.

craftyone Wed 08-Apr-20 12:11:36

oh dear. It is a natural instinct to run first and ask questions later

Bamm Wed 08-Apr-20 12:13:26

I have the same problem...people who don't suffer from it don't realize how bad it can be.

Chestnut Wed 08-Apr-20 12:54:38

I guess they think that whatever caused the sneeze you will still be spraying droplets. If you had hay fever AND the virus you would be spraying the virus. Understandable. Just use a big hanky to reassure them!

SueDonim Wed 08-Apr-20 12:55:48

I sneezed violently in the car on the way to the supermarket and I said to dh that I hoped I didn’t do that in the store or I might get ejected! Luckily, I was fine.

Gransooz Wed 08-Apr-20 13:00:41

So as not to upset/worry the people near me, I suppressed a sneeze while in B&M just before lockdown which caused a little botty burp to escape. I’ve never been so embarrassed! ??

TerriBull Wed 08-Apr-20 13:02:01

As you say OP sneezing isn't a symptom and very much related to hay fever, which is prevalent in my family, so have been well aware of those bouts for a long time. I even do it myself at times and quite violently, although I don't have all the other rather unpleasant things that go with hay fever.

BlueSky Wed 08-Apr-20 13:10:25

Gransooz don't worry at the moment it's much more socially acceptable to fluff than to sneeze or cough! grin

Juliet27 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:14:25

That reminds me BlueSky of 'we used to cough to cover a fart, now we fart to cover a cough'

EllanVannin Wed 08-Apr-20 14:07:24

My eyes are bunged with the rowan tree outside and there's a huge cherry blossom tree ready to open a few yards along the garden. Bless me !

I laughed at your post Juliet27. Must bear that in mind grin

SueDonim Wed 08-Apr-20 14:47:14

Juliet27 my grandad used to say that the best cure for a cough was a good dose of Syrup of Figs. grin

Toadinthehole Wed 08-Apr-20 14:53:43

We went cycling this morning, and went past council workers cutting grass. I haven’t sneezed, but it did set my eyes off itching, and made me wheezy, so spent most of the time coughing. I know it’s hay fever, but understand others may be wary.

AGAA4 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:03:02

I have been sneezing and have very itchy eyes so must be the tree pollen. Keeps people more than 2 metres away so one benefit.

Luckygirl Wed 08-Apr-20 15:18:45

You could indeed have both hay fever and coronavirus. I am sure you sneezed into a tissue, then gelled your hands. Or at the very least sneezed into the crook of your elbow.

I am sorry you felt like a leper - but TBH I think I would have moved away!!

Babyshark Wed 08-Apr-20 15:40:27

Yeah I’d have moved away too. Not because I thought you were a leper but just common sense. If you have CV without knowing or no symptoms your sneezing would have sending the virus flying multiple feet. Whatever the cause.

Tea3 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:45:32

I read somewhere that pinching the septum stops a sneeze in its tracks. I've not had a chance to test this myself.

POGS Wed 08-Apr-20 15:57:10

Craftycat

This reminds me of the joke doing the rounds-

Why is there a toilet roll shortage?

Because 1 person coughs or sneezes and 100 poo themselves. ?

vampirequeen Thu 09-Apr-20 09:56:19

grin

timetogo2016 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:15:20

Iv`e only gotto open the windows and i`m sneezing like billio.
I can understand their concern tbf.

Callistemon Thu 09-Apr-20 11:04:18

POGS it may have come from Australia and, of course, the language was more down-to-earth than that!!

POGS Thu 09-Apr-20 11:42:14

Callistemon

Trust me I was trying to be lady for GN?