Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone else having vivid nightmares?

(83 Posts)
Evie64 Wed 08-Apr-20 17:34:08

I've started having the most horrendously vivid nightmares shock. I know it's down to the situation we're all living through currently, not sleeping well, napping in the daytime etc., but anyone else?

Yorksherlass Wed 08-Apr-20 17:56:15

I have been having very vivid dreams,I put it down to the full moon ,it always seems to happen around that time . Spooky ??

Chestnut Wed 08-Apr-20 18:00:58

There was an article which said this is a common theme because people have been forced into a weird and confined lockdown. It's happening to lots of people. It's not natural to be trapped in a space with little outside stimulation or contact with others and dreams are a way of expressing our fears and desires.

J52 Wed 08-Apr-20 18:14:14

Not nightmares, but a couple of nights ago I dreamt that we were all issued with rainbow fluffy toys that were mechanical, rather like Furbies!

SueDonim Wed 08-Apr-20 18:19:37

Me, too. I’ve always had vivid dreams but they’ve become more agitated lately.

Oopsminty Wed 08-Apr-20 18:22:31

I actually dreamt of Matt Hancock the other night!

He was running down Wall Street

Not a nightmare though

Barmeyoldbat Wed 08-Apr-20 19:13:03

I never use to dream much but now I have vivid dreams every night and I seem to sleep longer in the mornings. Maybe its because there is no traffic and its quiet.

Gingster Wed 08-Apr-20 19:19:28

Yesterday morning I actually woke up crying and shouting ‘I can’t Bear it, I can’t bear it. ,! My dream had a member of my family die from the virus. It felt so real. It took me all morning to get it out of my mind . Every time I thought about it I cried. What a relief when I woke up.

SueDonim Wed 08-Apr-20 19:22:32

I hope that wasn’t one of those dreams where you’re out in public without a stitch on, Oopsminty! blush

NfkDumpling Wed 08-Apr-20 19:25:09

Yep! Really weird dreams, but not all nightmares. Some are quite nice, but all are vivid - and definitely in colour.

Knittynatter Wed 08-Apr-20 19:26:21

I wish I could dream - I just can’t sleep. My head won’t switch off

Urmstongran Wed 08-Apr-20 19:54:07

Yes me too. Vivid dreams, huge cast of characters. A real Cecil B. de Mille production these nights.

EllanVannin Wed 08-Apr-20 19:59:25

I must have been dreaming before I suddenly woke this morning for as plain as could be someone whispered in my ear " Jill's dead ". I can still hear the voice but I don't know who Jill is. So vivid and for most of the day I've had one of those off and on headaches and just felt muggy.

Chewbacca Wed 08-Apr-20 20:01:54

Not nightmares but very vivid, alarming dreams. I seem to go from being in a very deep sleep to suddenly wide awake, heart thumping, and cannot get back off to sleep again. Happening most nights now.

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 20:02:36

I had one on Saturday night.

It was disturbing but probably an anxiety dream.

EllanVannin Wed 08-Apr-20 20:13:01

Yes, I'm anxious Callistemon but can't afford to be or I'll have one of my A/F " turns " and end up in resus so I do the deep breathing and try and shut off.
It's worse when you've got nobody to talk to as well because your imagination runs riot.

I'm thinking of all the staff trying to cope too and also getting ill and dying themselves, poor souls.

Evie64 Wed 08-Apr-20 22:42:34

Glad it's not just me. Night before last I dreamt that I was trying to lay a stair carpet on the awkward turn at the top of the stairs! Kept getting it wrong, pulling the carpet tacks out and trying again! Never laid a carpet in my life? WTF? Last night I dreamt myself, my DH (who used to be a black cab driver in Central London) and my 35 year old daughter when she was got into a black cab to take us home from the airport after a holiday. The driver was a woman and she was wearing boxing gloves and I was really worried about her being able to drive safely. She also kept taking detours, like going to a garage and having a new tyre fitted etc without stopping the meter. I was absolutely furious in my dream and my DH was refusing to say anything. I remember storming out of the cab and walking home with my daughter. Weird, really really weird! Woke up with the raving hump which took a bowl of cornflakes couple of hours to wear off. Bonkers eh?

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 22:52:06

Deep breathing EllanVannin, I think the 4:7:8 technique we use in yoga helps.
The last place we need to be at the moment is in a hospital for any reason.

Dreams are odd but probably all our anxieties are manifesting themselves in a dream so relieving them we hope.

harrigran Wed 08-Apr-20 23:13:55

Yes, horrendous nightmares, too horrible to tell people about.

Chewbacca Wed 08-Apr-20 23:26:28

Do you remember much of your dream when you wake up in the morning? I usually remember that I had a disturbing dream, and bits of it, but not the full details. But sometimes, throughout the day, something will happen that jogs my memory. Anyone else?

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 23:31:00

I don't usually remember anything much. But the one I had on Sunday morning must have been just before I woke up and I can remember in detail.
Definitely an anxiety dream, but very mixed up with past and present.

Chestnut Wed 08-Apr-20 23:36:46

Evie64 - the dream about the carpet represents your anxiety that the stability in your life (i.e. what is under your feet) is changing and you want to put it back in place (get your life back to its previous stability). The taxi dream means that you and your family are trying to get back to safety (your home i.e. your old life) but you have no control over this journey or the length of it. You are not sure if anyone is actually in control at all (the boxing gloves). Your leaving the taxi means your desire to take control, get home and get your life back.
These are all virus related dreams!

Chewbacca Wed 08-Apr-20 23:37:39

I think you're right about it being close to when you wake up Callistemon that you remember more of it. But sometimes, I'm jolted fully awake, in the middle of the night by a vivid dream, and I really can't remember much of what it was about. Probably just as well!

Ooeyisit Wed 08-Apr-20 23:41:05

Yes me too . I often wake just after I’ve gone to sleep startled .

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 23:57:02

I sometimes get the lavatory dream in the middle of the night - the one where you can't find one and when you do eventually, there's no door on it, and lots of passersby!