Gransnet forums

Chat

Cat Flap Intruders

(28 Posts)
Swizzywhiz Thu 09-Apr-20 13:38:00

Just had a call from a friend of ours who found TWO strange cats sleeping on her sofa last night, presumably after entering through the cat flap. They hardly stirred as she passed them to get to the kitchen so she let them be. Her own cat, a rather lovely Persian, was fast asleep on her bed.
This morning the mystery cats had vanished. She’s wondering now if they’re regular visitors. The irony is the cat flap is NEVER used by her own cat. She’s too posh to push !

GagaJo Thu 09-Apr-20 13:40:35

My moggies used to sneak into a neighbours house via the cat flap and eat her better quality cat food. She had to get a flap/collar with a magnetic lock to keep them out.

Not my current pampered pair. They're house cats.

Esspee Thu 09-Apr-20 13:40:50

With the news that cats can catch Coronavirus and also spread the virus on their fur I would be nailing that cat flap shut.

phoenix Thu 09-Apr-20 13:50:35

My JRT would sometimes go missing at night, on the last wee let out. We would get phone calls from a house about a mile away informing us that she had come in through the cat flap, eaten the cats food and was now curled up in front of the fire.

humptydumpty Thu 09-Apr-20 14:02:24

Esspee not necessary with my cat - she would take the hand off any stranger who tried to stroke her!

Septimia Thu 09-Apr-20 14:11:45

The neighbourhood cats used to come in through our catflap. One of the owners had trackers on his two and we'd see him walking down the road looking for them. Sometimes at least one of them was sitting on our kitchen windowsill (which is upstairs) looking out at him!

We didn't want a lot of gadgetry hanging round our cats' necks, so bought a catflap that works on their microchips. Magic! No more intruders - unless we inadvertantly leave the front door open!

sodapop Thu 09-Apr-20 14:20:06

My daughter has a Bengal cat who can be aggressive, her neighbour told her that her cat sits by their door waiting for their cats to come out of the flap then hits them over the head smile

Curlywhirly Thu 09-Apr-20 14:24:05

Sodapop ??? love it! And phoenix what a cheeky monkey!

grannysyb Thu 09-Apr-20 15:09:36

I had a ginger one, who used to nip next door and eat the two female cats food, pull tissues out of the box and scatter them round their sitting room, and kill the rubber gloves in their kitchen! The worst thing he ever did was go into the bathroom where my friend was lying in the bath, hop up onto the wash basin and pee in it!! Luckily they thought it was funny.

Jane10 Thu 09-Apr-20 15:51:08

This Bengal flaunts itself at DDs front door. He's not in the least bothered that it's another cat's house.

AGAA4 Thu 09-Apr-20 15:58:50

My neighbour installed a cat flap, went to work and when she came home found her cat had invited at least six friends in with him. They were making themselves comfortable on the beds

Charleygirl5 Thu 09-Apr-20 16:17:58

In the days when I was working in winter, the heating was programmed so I returned to a warm house. My cat who lived here then was very timid and when I returned home one evening there were around 4 others in the house, courtesy of her catflap. One hissed at me when I wanted him off my bed and preferably out of my house. He was cosy thank you and who was I wanting to get rid of him?

kittylester Thu 09-Apr-20 16:25:31

We regularly had visitors as well as our 3 cats fitted about the house so we also installed one that works with their microchips. That baffles me is how the neighbourhoid cats k ow when we haven't changed the batteries and that its open house again.

phoenix Thu 09-Apr-20 18:43:00

kittylester because they are all still connected to the mothership that they were beamed down from, messages regarding access are transmitted via their whiskers, hope this helps.

PS, The tail acts as an antennae, if it's in the vertical position, they are recieving, in the downward one, they are transmitting, if swishing/wagging, they are transmitting/recieving, but in code.

Tangerine Thu 09-Apr-20 18:46:30

I thought you could get cat flaps that would only let in your specific cat.

To be truthful, I have no idea how they work as I don't have a cat but my friend has got one.

Possibly her cat has a collar with something attached to it that opens the cat flap. I know definitely that, once her cat is in, the cat flap won't open after 5.30 pm so she doesn't have trouble getting the cat to come in at night.

I hope this answer helps.

kittylester Thu 09-Apr-20 19:07:50

My cat s can only get in via their identity chip - unless we ignore the bad flashing light which then results in a free for all.

That all makes compete sense * phoenix*, thank you for the explanation. (It made dh hoot!!)

As a side issue - I might need the spell again! grin

Desdemona Thu 09-Apr-20 19:14:55

Awww cats! They make the world a better place. smile

lemongrove Thu 09-Apr-20 19:16:48

So funny, coming home to a collection of cats making themselves comfortable!?
There is an ad on tv just like that, anyone seen it?
One determined cat once actually broke the cat flap by forcing itself through it ( it was huge....needed a diet) possibly got that way by breaking and entering and scoffing any food it could find.Our children used to have a book called Six Dinners Sid, where the cat called at six houses every day.

lemongrove Thu 09-Apr-20 19:18:00

Real life cat burglars?

aggie Thu 09-Apr-20 19:21:09

what about the decapitated birds , ditto squirrels , live versions of said items !!!!

sodapop Thu 09-Apr-20 19:45:34

That's nature for you aggie

Juliet27 Thu 09-Apr-20 19:50:41

Jane10. What perfectly neat lawn and patio!!

aggie Thu 09-Apr-20 21:17:50

I like nature , just not dragged in bleeding and shedding feathers or fur

ValerieF Thu 09-Apr-20 21:33:09

Awww this made me smile. I love cats and under normal conditions wouldn't mind 'visitors' but as someone pointed out, it is now being advised that cats are kept inside as much as possible because of the risk of transferring virus through their fur? I would maybe shut your cat flap, for the time being especially if your cat doesn't use it and just be extra fussy about washing hands when stroking him. Yes, it IS being extra fussy and mine used to sleep on my bed also together with uninvited ones at times. Was mainly an indoor cat but did go out for short periods. He called the shots to be honest so I have no idea just how people can keep a cat inside that is determined to go out? I lost him 8 months ago and miss him dreadfully.

Sorry just realised it is your FRIEND'S cat. But same advice.

Jane10 Thu 09-Apr-20 21:36:55

Juliet127- the garden like the whole house is immaculately neat. Its obviously oppositional behaviour in my DD.