Gransnet forums

Chat

My hair is driving me mad!!!!

(66 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 09-May-20 11:56:22

Any ideas about what to do with my fringe!!! It is so long now and i am afraid to try cutting it. Last time i did it it looked awful, i am currently just twisting it up then pinning back off my forehead but it really doesnt suit me. Anyone come up with ideas for fringes??

Wibby Sat 09-May-20 12:04:06

Gather your fringe together then twist it tightly then snip the end off, do this gradually until you get the length you want for a fringe. Doing it this way will not give such a blunt cut fringe. My hair grows very quickly so Im always trimming my finge this way.

elsieshufflebottom Sat 09-May-20 12:08:23

Exactly what @Wibby said! That's what I do!

SalsaQueen Sat 09-May-20 20:23:15

If you really don't want to cut it, could you have it swept to the side instead?

Willow500 Sat 09-May-20 20:47:03

You should use very sharp scissors, pull your fringe into a triangle over your nose and snip upwards into it (your hair not your nose grin ) rather than straight across. Take small amounts off until you get to the desired length. I've been cutting my fringe for years as it grows far quicker than the rest of my hair!

rubysong Sat 09-May-20 21:03:46

I got Sharp scissors and sort of 'chipped up' into it. I only took a tiny bit each time and didn't go too far. It looks ok. DH looks dreadful but he won't let me cut his hair.

GabriellaG54 Sat 09-May-20 22:54:32

Part it then scoop back each side with fancy clips or those curved hair combs or even tuck it behind your ears, depending on length. You can buy them on Amazon or eBay. Pennies.

lilypollen Sat 09-May-20 23:35:44

travelsafar I tried clipping fringe to one side, not a good look. The fringe is not the worst bit to self trim, actually I do it regularly though my stylist tells me off! Tbh I don't think you can really mess it up but use long bladed sharp scissors.

GabriellaG54 Sun 10-May-20 01:19:53

I've used ordinary (cheap) kitchen scissors and lean my head over the bath, comb hair from back to the front, level it between first two fingers and snip straight across doing an inch width at a time and overlapping to check it matches previous cut
Then brush through and look in mirror to see what needs adjusting.
The girl at my regular salon says I do just fine.
Naturally, it's only basic stuff but it looks good as it's thick and behaves well...a bit like me ???

Calendargirl Sun 10-May-20 08:00:42

My hairdresser said cut it dry, not wet. I just snipped little bits off with my nail scissors.

✂️?

Hetty58 Sun 10-May-20 08:06:10

Under current circumstances, having hair that doesn't suit you is really a very tiny problem, isn't it? It's an ideal time to have a go at cutting it, too. If it all goes wrong, just clip it back.

Lucca Sun 10-May-20 08:10:50

Plenty of YouTube advice about cutting your fringe.
I was just imagining myself with Gabriella’s suggested style (parted in middle etc) goodness I would look hideous !
This is a criticism of my face not the suggestion....

NfkDumpling Sun 10-May-20 08:18:16

My hair has a mind of it's own. Every morning I brush it different ways until it decides on the style for the day. Only I disagree on the definition of style. Hate it. It really brings home why I keep it really, really short! This morning the fringe is swept to the left. Yesterday it was to the right and wavy in the morning but straight over my face by lunchtime. I'm contemplating hair slides with my next Tesco order.

Alexa Sun 10-May-20 09:42:55

My thin dry hair is always nicer when newly washed and quite a lot of Vitapointe smoothed into it. Mt fringe is easy to cut compared witht he back. Now that I am not seen in public I am experimenting with a long uncut section of hair at the back from crown to as long as it gets. I might roll it up when it's long enough as my nape hair is much better quality.

JackyB Sun 10-May-20 09:51:24

Sweep it all back in a headband?

DillytheGardener Sun 10-May-20 09:58:07

GabriellaG54 You made me roar with laughter and spilt my tea all over my cream carpets grin

HootyMcOwlface Sun 10-May-20 10:07:32

I snipped mine yesterday. Ran it through my first two fingers, then cut a bit off the end. I'm extremely tempted to try my layers, the back is awful, like straw! Building up my courage .... !

Moggycuddler Sun 10-May-20 10:16:16

Just cut upwards into it, all along, with sharp scissors. Never straight across. And while it's dry, never damp or wet. Might not be perfect but passable.

polnan Sun 10-May-20 10:17:13

I have a very light fringe , so cut it with my nail scissors, straggly, yes, I like that..
or let your fringe grow out?

minxie Sun 10-May-20 10:17:25

U tube tutorials on fringe cutting or ‘bangs’ as it’s also commonly known. There are loads of them on there

Froglady Sun 10-May-20 10:17:55

My kitchen scissors are looking very enticing at the moment. I am so pleased that I had my hair cut very short the last time I went to the hairdressers so it's not as bad as it might be, but I can see me taking my hair into my own hands.

Kartush Sun 10-May-20 10:22:39

Mine was long before the lock-in so I just parted it in the middle and pin it up, I quite like it may keep it like that

Missiseff Sun 10-May-20 10:34:33

It's not my fringe that bothers me, it's my roots!

Teetime Sun 10-May-20 10:38:48

There is a You Tube video showing how to cut a fringe- how about wearing a nice hairband or scarf.

Caramac Sun 10-May-20 10:41:38

My hair is a mess. I usually have it cut and coloured every 4 weeks (free at my daughters salon) and now it’s straggly with long dark roots. It would be better if I were grey.
My daughter has offered to do my hair but I have refused as it is against lockdown rules.
Oh well, nobody much is seeing me and lots of us have messy hair.
My fringe isn’t too bad as it is swept to one side but looks ok clipped back. I’m not going to cut it myself.