Gransnet forums

Chat

Piers Morgan’s interview with Nicola Sturgeon

(85 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Mon 11-May-20 10:56:48

What did you think of Piers Morgan’s interview this morning with Nicola sturgeon and Please please intelligent answers only.

ninathenana Mon 11-May-20 11:21:22

Can't bare to watch the man normally but is it worth me having a look ?

Teetime Mon 11-May-20 11:25:19

Oh dear not both of them together- I'm too delicate.

Lucca Mon 11-May-20 11:28:06

I’ve always wondered exactly what it is that (mainly English) people have against ms sturgeon? Is it prejudice ?
No need to ask about piers....

Lucca Mon 11-May-20 11:28:34

By the way I am English.

Lucca Mon 11-May-20 11:29:00

Or rather..British.

BlueSky Mon 11-May-20 11:29:44

Has he thought of going into politics and stand for PM? All our problems would be sorted! grin

Marydoll Mon 11-May-20 11:31:02

I didn't see it, but I did see the one on Sky News with Kay Burley this morning. She was very impressive, no waffling, just straight to the point.

I'm not an SNP supporter, but I think she is doing an excellent job.

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 11:36:52

Teetime an intelligent answer with which I wholeheartedly concur.
I do hope that they were keeping an appropriate social distance from each other.

(Was that intelligent enough?)

SirChenjin Mon 11-May-20 11:45:00

I try and stay away from interviews that feature one or both of them - what did they say?

I’m generally not a fan of NS but she’s handling this a whole heap better than Johnson with his fist clenching and his meaningless soundbites. The difference in the rate of cases will, I suspect, be markedly high in England in comparison to the devolved administrations in the next couple of months as a result of his waffle yesterday.

Furret Mon 11-May-20 11:54:09

She is handling this very well and turns out herself every lunch time for the Scottish briefing.

I noticed both she and the Welsh FM have a signer behind them. How do deaf English people get their briefing news I wonder?

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 11:55:15

The thing is that the number of cases is rising in Scotland so she does need to make different decisions based on that.

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 11:57:33

At what point does the public need to start taking some personal responsibility?

Grannyjay Mon 11-May-20 12:02:01

I’m sorry but I do feel Nicola Sturgeon does not like the British. All you hear is the Scottish people over and over again. What ever happens it’s the fault of the English. Look what she said about PPE going to only the English. She is offensive. That said, I very much like Scottish people, just not her and politics and behaviour.

mrsgreenfingers56 Mon 11-May-20 12:10:53

I feel like NS is some sort of Scottish political terrorist, we are supposed to be a United Kingdom and I don't like her attitude at all. No-one loves Scotland more than myself and I have Scottish heritage but she just has a bee in her bonnet.

MawB Mon 11-May-20 12:14:38

In general I am not a fan of Nicola Sturgeon, and certainly not a supporter of independence for Scotland but have come to thinking is it predominantly the women political leaders who have a handle on the situation?
Jacinda Arden, Angela Merkel, Nicola Sturgeon?

Elegran Mon 11-May-20 12:22:23

I am no fan of the SNP stand on Scottish Independence (I think we are "better together") but in this coronavirus crisis I think she is doiung well. She heads up the briefings sensibly and makes clear statements, and she seems to actually understand the situation, unlike Boris Johnson who often looks as though he has been dropped into it unexpectedly and hasn't yet caught up.

She does seem to bring out extreme reactions - I know a couple of Scottish ladies who regard her as the devil incarnate, mostly, it seems, because she "changes her clothes several times a day". No idea why that is a sin.

SirChenjin Mon 11-May-20 12:26:40

No-one loves Scotland more than myself

What are you basing that on?!

I agree Maw, the most measured approaches have all come from the women in charge. Having witnessed the behaviour in Westminster over the last year this staunch unionist is very much reconsidering - England seems to becoming a lite version of the US, with its own idiot at the helm.

MawB Mon 11-May-20 12:29:59

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjA3afl2avpAhWHTsAKHTu6DNEQwqsBMAB6BAgaEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FJaneyGodley%2Fstatus%2F1259511252629454852&usg=AOvVaw3EUprmBrbp7IDke4hb4mzo
But I do have a laugh at Janey Godley’s take on it (so I believe does Nicola)

SirChenjin Mon 11-May-20 12:32:35

Jane Godley’s take on NS is very funny - she’s done a number of them and all are very accurate and apt. I get the feeling they are a fairly accurate representation of NS’s personal thoughts grin

janeainsworth Mon 11-May-20 12:38:39

As Callistemon says, the rate of infection In Scotland is higher than in England so it makes sense for Nicola Sturgeon to be more cautious about easing lockdown.
That’s not a reflection on the Westminster Government. Boris has been under a lot of pressure from certain quarters to ease lockdown much further, and I was pleasantly surprised that he didn’t cave in and stuck to what seems sensible.

As an aside, here’s an article that some might find interesting, about how the SNP over the years has subverted their use of language to further their cause.
www.aforceforgood.uk/single-post/2018/11/21/The-SNP-is-not-a-Government

SirChenjin Mon 11-May-20 12:51:50

Of course - all Govts do that to further their political goal Jane. Remind me what the Leave campaign wrote on the side of those buses again?

SirChenjin Mon 11-May-20 12:52:29

Or - devolved administrations if you prefer.

Oldbat1 Mon 11-May-20 13:18:17

I would believe Nicola Sturgeon over Boris Johnson waffle any time! She is correct in saying too early for Scotland as their R level is higher than London. I really believe this Government only considers London. The North West and North East have a higher incidence of COVID.

janeainsworth Mon 11-May-20 13:25:32

Sirchenin Remind me what the Leave campaign wrote on the side of those buses again?
That was an outright lie, as opposed to subtle manipulation. Credit where credit’s due wink